This series is an example of why you don’t trade any of Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo, unless is for an ACE

Posted (edited)

@RZNJ I’m not coming at you personally. This is just a though exercise that our whole fanbase needs to do. 

So if Basallo went 1:1 in this draft, which would only change his hype, would he be #1?  Also, he didn’t get a big time signing bonus either.

So single one prospect out, out of all them, pick your best one. Then let’s discuss that player 1 vs 1. I respect your opinion. So pick anyone from all the prospects minus Skenes. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

@RZNJ I’m not coming at you personally. This is just a though exercise that our whole fanbase needs to do. 

So if Basallo went 1:1 in this draft, which would only change his hype, would he be #1?  Also, he didn’t get a big time signing bonus either?  

So single one prospect out, out of all them, pick your best one. Then let’s discuss that player 1 vs 1. I respect your opinion. So pick anyone from all the prospects minus Skenes. 

You asked someone to show you any kind of argument that Basallo wasn’t the #1 prospect in baseball.  Not one independent site has him there YET.    I have time for games but I don’t drink coffee and I’m imagining you’re on your 5th cup with 3 Red Bulls to boot.

I think Basallo is an Uber prospect.  With a big 2nd half he COULD become a top 5 and maybe even #1 overall prospect.  I don’t want to trade him.  I don’t think the Giants would trade Logan Webb straight up for Samuel Basallo.    Deal with it.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You asked someone to show you any kind of argument that Basallo wasn’t the #1 prospect in baseball.  Not one independent site has him there YET.    I have time for games but I don’t drink coffee and I’m imagining you’re on your 5th cup with 3 Red Bulls to boot.

I think Basallo is an Uber prospect.  With a big 2nd half he COULD become a top 5 and maybe even #1 overall prospect.  I don’t want to trade him.  I don’t think the Giants would trade Logan Webb straight up for Samuel Basallo.    Deal with it.

I’m not trying to attack you personally in any way. I’m not throwing out the idea just to you. It’s to our whole fan base. 

Present any name of a prospect and let’s have a 1v1 friendly discussion. 

It’s really hard to argue against Basallo. That’s the point. He’s 19. Has the most positional value. Has a .800 OPS in AA. Has a .800 OPS vs LHP and RHP this season. Has a rocket for an arm. 

Basallo has no discernible flaw. “He’ll grow out of Catcher.”  Maybe. Eventually. But if he’s with us through his age 20-26 seasons then probably not. 

Nothing personal meant to anyone. Just a baseball discussion to point out how much we underrate Basallo. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not trying to attack you personally in any way. I’m not throwing out the idea just to you. It’s to our whole fan base. 

It’s really hard to argue against Basallo. That’s the point. He’s 19. Has the most positional value. Has a .800 OPS in AA. Has a .800 OPS vs LHP and RHP this season. Has a rocket for an arm. 

Basallo has no discernible flaw. “He’ll grow out of Catcher.”  Maybe. Eventually. But if he’s with us through his age 20-26 seasons then probably not. 

Nothing personal meant to anyone. Just a baseball discussion to point out how much we underrate Basallo. 

I've read he doesn't control the strike zone that well and will chase.  That tends to get exposed in the majors.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I didn’t take anything you said personally.  I have no problem with you.  I don’t need to argue this prospect or that prospect over Basallo.   I gave you 3 of the most prominent sites for prospect rankings and none had Basallo close to #1.  Send them an email if you disagree.   

• Upvote 1

P.S.  I don’t believe most of us underrate Basallo at all.   I think there is a contingent on here who want to win so bad that are more willing to trade Basallo for someone who will help now.

I have not watched one inning of Basallo, but I've read that he is not as good defensively at catcher and probably will not stick there. I'm assuming, if that is true, that he ends up at 1B. How much would that decrease his value? 

P.S. #2

Basallo is having a good, not great, season at Bowie.   At 19 that’s still very impressive.  If we extrapolate his current numbers he might be a top ten prospect going into next season.   If he starts going off in the second half like he did at Aberdeen with great numbers and strong plate discipline numbers then #1 overall is certainly possible.  Right now, he’s not walking enough, and as Corn said, probably being too aggressive and chasing too much.  He controlled the strike zone great in the 2nd half last yearso I think he’s capable. I’m one of those people who think there’s no doubt he can catch in the majors.   His arm is better than Adley’s and he looks like he moves well to me.  I never suggested trading Basallo.  I only responded to Bemorewins saying Kjerstad couldn’t get us an ace and asked if he thought Basallo could.   I’m still skeptical that the Giants would even consider trading Webb and even if they would that you could get him straight up for Basallo.

13 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have not watched one inning of Basallo, but I've read that he is not as good defensively at catcher and probably will not stick there. I'm assuming, if that is true, that he ends up at 1B. How much would that decrease his value? 

Probably not wind up there?   I bet a dollar to donuts you can’t remember where you read it.   If you can produce one respected source saying he probably can’t stick there, I can produce 5 who say he can.

Of course, he’s not going to catch full time on the Orioles.

Edited by RZNJ

Posted (edited)

A couple things…

I don’t see what just throwing out arbitrary OPS milestones and that relation to an arbitrary top 10 prospect ranking as anything to do with anything. But that’s just my opinion. 

Also, let’s just not assume that there must be 10 prospects better than Basallo. Most of these lists don’t move much during the regular season until post draft. The lists just simply slot players up because of prospect graduations. 

Now let’s get into how much value the catching position has. Look at all things Adley. He gives us such an edge to have his offense at C. Of course he has maybe once in a generation make up. But do we know that Basallo doesn’t have that?  Is that the knock on Basallo?  What if he has just “good makeup”?  The catcher position is so valuable and has the thinnest depth of all the position groups.

I’ll look through the lists and throw out some names shortly. Pros vs cons. 1v1 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think the Giants would trade Logan Webb straight up for Samuel Basallo.  

Toss in Jackson Holliday and a decent pitching prospect like De Leon or Bright and they MIGHT bite.

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Probably not wind up there?   I bet a dollar to donuts you can’t remember where you read it.   If you can produce one respected source saying he probably can’t stick there, I can produce 5 who say he can.

Of course, he’s not going to catch full time on the Orioles.

I have seen it said in several places in the last year or two, but MLB Pipeline's scouting report is the only one I was able to recall off the top of my head. They said:

If there are any questions at all about Basallo, they are about his ability to stick behind the plate. He’s made strides there, too, and his plus arm helped him throw out 33.1 percent of potential basestealers a year ago. There’s still work to be done on his overall receiving, but his bat will profile just fine at first base, where he’s been getting comfortable defensively to provide some positional flexibility

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Toss in Jackson Holliday and a decent pitching prospect like De Leon or Bright and they MIGHT bite.

I have seen it said in several places in the last year or two, but MLB Pipeline's scouting report is the only one I was able to recall off the top of my head. They said:

If there are any questions at all about Basallo, they are about his ability to stick behind the plate. He’s made strides there, too, and his plus arm helped him throw out 33.1 percent of potential basestealers a year ago. There’s still work to be done on his overall receiving, but his bat will profile just fine at first base, where he’s been getting comfortable defensively to provide some positional flexibility

That certainly doesn’t say  he probably won’t stick at catcher.  Does it?   It describes a 19 catcher who has a good arm and has made strides there.   

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

That certainly doesn’t he probably won’t stick at catcher.  Does it?   It describes a 19 catcher who has a good arm and has made strides there.   

Sure, but it isn't a take-it-to-the-bank slam dunk either.

At the very least, it doesn't sound like "Buster Posey 2.0" as sportsfan put it in another thread where he also made the wild claim that the Giants would trade Webb for Basallo without even a moment's hesitation and feel like they ripped us off.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Sure, but it isn't a take-it-to-the-bank slam dunk either.

At the very least, it doesn't sound like "Buster Posey 2.0" as sportsfan put it in another thread where he also made the wild claim that the Giants would trade Webb for Basallo without even a moment's hesitation and feel like they ripped us off.

Yup. I said that minus the ripped off part. I said SF would rush to the commissioner’s office if we offered Basallo for Logan Webb. Then SF would just take the Logan Webb money and offer it to Corbin Burnes. 

Also, why is it so hard for our fanbase to believe that we might have 3 of the top 5 prospects in all of baseball?  It’s some inferiority complex. Which points out that just because Basallo is our 3rd best prospect doesn’t mean we should just give him away. He might be top 3 in baseball. 

Here is what I would have it as,

1. James Wood

2. Jackson Holliday

3. Sam Basallo

4. Coby Mayo

5. Junior Camienero 

Just my very humble opinion. I can be humble but still like our guys. 

Edited by sportsfan8703