17 Runs after Gunnar getting drilled. Was that enough fire from Hyde?

Archimedes said, "Give me a long enough lever and a place for a fulcrum and I can move the world." Judge is HUGE, if you allow him to extend his arms, a miss hit could leave the yard. A pitcher has to pitch him in to be successful. Judge is a hard man dislike, despite being a Yankee.

Off topic, but defensively, the Yanks seem sub-par (or was it the O's exit velocity). Where does a team hide Soto? Is he going to become a $40mil/year DH? Catching?? 3B?? They just seem below average. I've learned to really appreciate the O's D the more I watch other teams.

The Yankees are a bunch of hyped up highly paid alpha bullies and they reacted as such.  That formula for assembling a team rarely wins in the long run because their attention oftentimes goes from fighting the other team to blow ups with each other.  It’s just a matter of time.  They are losers.  

45 minutes ago, 24fps said:

TBH, the way Trevino kicked the bat after Cowser got drilled made me angrier.  Total punk move.

But whatever… it was an incredible job by the O’s to show everybody that they are now the grownups in the room.  The AL doormat days are long gone. 

Yup.  Trevino definitely kicked the bat.  

The old adage is retaliate with your play.  Well, we put up 17 runs.  That's a pretty good drubbing.  I think we all can put to rest any notion that Hyde doesn't have fire or is too laid back/soft.  Those dudes were ready to play yesterday.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No issues with Judge or any player being upset that they get hit in the hand.  

But acting like it was intentional and that the Os are head hunting despite all the stats that say different showed the Yankees to be weak.

The Os didn’t cry when the Yankees hit 5 batters in the first series.

I like Judge and think he’s good for baseball but he looked like a p***y the other day.

I agree.  And the way Gunnar handled it in the post game interview, plus the subsequent 17 run beat down, made a much larger statement than the silly intentional fastball to the back.   

• Upvote 1

Two great wins in New York. It’s June and all, but this was the two best teams in the AL squaring off. The Yanks thought they could intimidate the Orioles, whatever. The look on Grayson Rodriguez’ face when Gunnar got hit tells me he has no problem plunking someone in the ribs if anything else happens. I hope this is over, but I would not doubt the Yankees do this again. Sore losers, and they are getting pounded in the media for losing two games to the Orioles, laughed at for being blown out. 

The Judge HBP reminded me of Sabathia hitting Markakis and breaking his hand in 2014, I think. Pitching inside is a necessary thing, and when your star gets hit, it stinks. It was not intentional , in either case. Hitters are all taught to “turn in.” What happened to that basic principal? Or maybe just lift your hands. And Torres, that pitch was maybe an inch off the plate. He dives in, so he can suck it! 

• Upvote 1

Something I noticed by watching the Yankee's broadcast's "highlights" from game 1 and 2... MASN's selectivity around what they put on camera made our dugout to be entirely stoic throughout. That's not entirely true. 

There are some shots of guys like Ohearn (and other trainers/coaches) yelling towards the field. Hard to see what they were saying or who they were shouting to. At the time it was happening it seemed like 100% of the players were unfazed, which wasn't the case. Overall, they seemed to be more calm than Verdugo certainly.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

TBH, the way Trevino kicked the bat after Cowser got drilled made me angrier.  Total punk move.

But whatever… it was an incredible job by the O’s to show everybody that they are now the grownups in the room.  The AL doormat days are long gone. 

Stuff like that doesn't bother me really. Just two guys in the moment of competition in a meaningful series. Cowser was acting in the moment, but I don't think anyone thought he was hit on purpose. Trevino did the same with his reaction. In the end, if just adds some drama to the upcoming games and that's fun to watch.

As Emperor Palpatine would say, "Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you! Your hate has made you powerful!"

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I like Judge and usually he's a great interview but after listening to him after the game where he was hit all that kept popping into my head was a line from Deuce Bigalow - "that's a big b****".

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stuff like that doesn't bother me really. Just two guys in the moment of competition in a meaningful series. Cowser was acting in the moment, but I don't think anyone thought he was hit on purpose. Trevino did the same with his reaction. In the end, if just adds some drama to the upcoming games and that's fun to watch.

As Emperor Palpatine would say, "Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you! Your hate has made you powerful!"

Fair point, but I have to say that if anyone was destined from birth to be a Yankees fan, it would have to be Emperor Palpatine.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, thegardner said:

The Yankees fans cheered when our guys were hit, that is just plain wrong.

Fans are fans. I've seen Orioles fans cheering when the other team's players were hit or even injured at times. While I'm not fan of Yankees fans, I don't think they act much different than any other fan group other than they feel more entitled because of their payroll and overall success over the last what, 30 plus years now? 

Getting hit by the pitch is still part of the game and as long as players are not head hunting or aiming towards the hands, I don't have a significant problem with it but i don't want to see it continue. We hit Judge and knocked him out of game. It was not purposeful, but it happened. I doubt Gunnar was surprised he was hit in retaliation, but in Gunnar's fashion, he didn't wine or cry or mean mug, he went down and stole 2nd base and scored an important run because of it. That it what baseball is all about.

The Yankees retaliated in a bad spot and it may have cost them a game. That's just plain dumb. The Orioles are smarter than that.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

I like Judge and usually he's a great interview but after listening to him after the game where he was hit all that kept popping into my head was a line from Deuce Bigalow - "that's a big b****".

Yeah, Judge is usually better than that. He knows deep down he was not hit on purpose, but I'm sure he was still pissed because of the pain and because he missed the rest of that game and probably knew at least one more. These guys are human and anger is a human emotion. 

I'm sure when Judge and Gunnar are teammates at the All-Star game they will have a good laugh about it, but when the games count again, they'll be back hating the other team! That's good for baseball.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, AdamK said:

Something I noticed by watching the Yankee's broadcast's "highlights" from game 1 and 2... MASN's selectivity around what they put on camera made our dugout to be entirely stoic throughout. That's not entirely true. 

There are some shots of guys like Ohearn (and other trainers/coaches) yelling towards the field. Hard to see what they were saying or who they were shouting to. At the time it was happening it seemed like 100% of the players were unfazed, which wasn't the case. Overall, they seemed to be more calm than Verdugo certainly.

That's not surprising at all and it's ashamed MASN didn't show that more. Players, especially in the heat of battle, teammates are always going to have each other's back. I have zero issues with O'Hearn or even Verdugo yelling stuff. Let them yell. It's good drama and entertainment.