Alternative Strasburg for Nats or Matzek for O's?

James Paxton, Kentucky LHer is moving up the draft boards, like helium. Would the Nats go with this fire-balling Canadian instead of Strasburg? Would the O's pick him over Green, Ackley or Matzek?

From:http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/articles/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=697

"According to a scout who was at the game, Paxton pitched at 92-97 mph on his fastball with serious sinking life (“like he was throwing bricks up there”) from a low ¾’s release point reminiscent of Randy Johnson’s. His breaking ball was a nasty plus/plus 80-83 mph slurve with a big, sweeping break.

“Paxton was just an animal,” the scout related. “He’s a big, big kid and very physical on the mound. He was throwing just power, power stuff up there for six innings. I saw Matthew Purke (the top ranked HS prospect, also a LHP) earlier in the year and Kyle Gibson (the Missouri RHP, a projected top 10 pick) at the top of his game earlier in the week and neither compared to Paxton as far as raw stuff is concerned.”

Also, from BA:

Growing into his body has allowed Paxton to add velocity each year and he's been sitting 94-97 mph with armside run and sink. Currently, he's throwing a slurvy curveball that Henderson said has been getting tighter and tighter each time out and is working to add a changeup to his arsenal. So far this season, Paxton is 4-0, 3.30 with 47 strikeouts and six walks in 30 innings. On March 20, he out-dueled Vanderbilt lefthander Mike Minor, striking out 10 in 6.2 innings.

Link:http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-tracker/2009/267837.html

I don't think he is top ten yet. I think he began the year in the 2-3 round range, but has shown some decent development. Right now, I'd peg him as the back end of the teens to sandwich round. He could still jump though similar to how Gordan Beckham and Aaron Crow made jumps.

I don't think he is top ten yet. I think he began the year in the 2-3 round range, but has shown some decent development. Right now, I'd peg him as the back end of the teens to sandwich round. He could still jump though similar to how Gordan Beckham and Aaron Crow made jumps.

Crawdad,

From that first article I posted:

:And by upper echelon, we mean way at the top, as in potential high first round."

Looks like the helium has risen that far for him, at least in potential. The article also stated he was listed as a 4-6 rounder by that site (PG Cross Checker) in the pre-season.

Crawdad,

From that first article I posted:

Looks like the helium has risen that far for him, at least in potential. The article also stated he was listed as a 4-6 rounder by that site (PG Cross Checker) in the pre-season.

Yeah, different folks have different perspectives. I saw him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder . . . now I see him low teens to sandwich. Still a lot of baseball to be played. I might move him up . . . might move him down.

Yeah, different folks have different perspectives. I saw him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder . . . now I see him low teens to sandwich. Still a lot of baseball to be played. I might move him up . . . might move him down.

Agree with everything you say, but, it is interesting to follow these guys and see how it "plays" out.

Archived