Basallo for Crochet?

caljr

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not really dismissing it, but his position holds him back a bit. It's why Elias might be more willing to trade Basallo or Mayo than Holliday.

I think if he really is on the block (and who knows), it's got to be for prying someone legit away who we didn't think would be on the market. A true blockbuster. Not a simple rental from a seller team. 

Why does his position hold him back?  The team needs a back up C starting next year. He is also learning to play first and his best asset is his bat, so DH is fine.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not really dismissing it, but his position holds him back a bit. It's why Elias might be more willing to trade Basallo or Mayo than Holliday.

His position is what makes him so valuable. Even for a team like the Orioles that already has a good catcher. And not just because of the contingency value that Basallo would have if Adley got hurt or leaves (like Wieters did). But also just straight up.

If James McCann had plus-plus power, do you think he would be an afterthought? How many position players on the team would be more valuable than McCann--even considering that Adley is on the same team--if he had a 6% HR% as Basallo could have (compared to McCann's actual 1.8% HR% this year)?

It's the one position that calls for having two players at the position. The model of having catchers who can hit doesn't really exist because practically speaking teams never have that, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be incredibly valuable if you found it.

15 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

We cant afford to trade away our best young catching prospect, still only 19 years old.Trade Norby, Stowers, Urias, or Mateo...but not Basallo, nor Mayo, nor Kjerstad, nor Holliday.

If you're not willing to trade Kjerstad, you don't really have much room to complain about any pitching deals they do or don't make at the deadline. 

You're not going to get a lot if the best player you can offer up for trade is Norby. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

We cant afford to trade away our best young catching prospect, still only 19 years old.Trade Norby, Stowers, Urias, or Mateo...but not Basallo, nor Mayo, nor Kjerstad, nor Holliday.

Norby has some value, but Mateo, Urias and Stowers together will not get the O's a meaningful upgrade to their WS chances.  It takes giving up real talent to get the kind of help the O's need.  Not saying it has to be Basallo, Mayo, or Holliday, but minor prospects/talent won't get it done.

As others have pointed out, while Crochet has had a very good season, its unclear how much further he'll be able to go in terms of innings. Now, he would offer a good option to lengthen what figures to be a very thin rotation in 2025, but Fedde may be the more realistic target from the White Sox. 

Now if you can somehow pull Crochet and Fedde for Basallo as the key piece (with some lower level guys), I may be game. For this year, Fedde goes into the rotation and Crochet eventually helps in the pen where he's had success in the past. Then in 2025, you have both added to the rotation alongside Grayson, Kremer, and Irvin. Then if they're able to resign Burnes or add another top of the rotation arm in free agency, you've got a full rotation despite Wells, Bradish and Means all on the shelf next year. 

Of course, that's a big risk still and would depend on who goes in the deal alongside Basallo. 

I don't have Basallo's statcast numbers, but everything points to this guy going to be an absolute monster major league hitter. He hasn't even grown into his man strength yet and he's hitting balls 450 feet.

I know I've said this before, but Basallo may be the #1 prospect in the organization right now. Yes, I said it. I like Holliday, and I think he's going to be very good to great player one day, and he's pretty untouchable for me too, but I think Basallo is going to be that good. 

To me, the only position players that are off the table to discuss are Gunnar, Adley, Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo. And yes, I left off Westburg even though he's pretty close to being untouchable. That's only because I think Mayo is ready to be the everyday 3B. 

Now Westburg would require an ace type starter with at least 3 years of controllability in my opinion plus a center field or 2B positional prospect, but I would at least listen. 

Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, McDermott, Beavers, Bradfield Jr., DeLeon or one of the young International guys with promise are all guys that could have value. They are all the guys I would consider for various levels of bullpen or starter help.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't have Basallo's statcast numbers, but everything points to this guy going to be an absolute monster major league hitter. He hasn't even grown into his man strength yet and he's hitting balls 450 feet.

I know I've said this before, but Basallo may be the #1 prospect in the organization right now. Yes, I said it. I like Holliday, and I think he's going to be very good to great player one day, and he's pretty untouchable for me too, but I think Basallo is going to be that good. 

To me, the only position players that are off the table to discuss are Gunnar, Adley, Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo. And yes, I left off Westburg even though he's pretty close to being untouchable. That's only because I think Mayo is ready to be the everyday 3B. 

Now Westburg would require an ace type starter with at least 3 years of controllability in my opinion plus a center field or 2B positional prospect, but I would at least listen. 

Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, McDermott, Beavers, Bradfield Jr., DeLeon or one of the young International guys with promise are all guys that could have value. They are all the guys I would consider for various levels of bullpen or starter help.

You would rather have Mayo than Westburg? Hmm, I wouldn't trade westburg for mayo and mustard if I made those kind of decisions.

51 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

As others have pointed out, while Crochet has had a very good season, its unclear how much further he'll be able to go in terms of innings. Now, he would offer a good option to lengthen what figures to be a very thin rotation in 2025, but Fedde may be the more realistic target from the White Sox. 

Now if you can somehow pull Crochet and Fedde for Basallo as the key piece (with some lower level guys), I may be game. For this year, Fedde goes into the rotation and Crochet eventually helps in the pen where he's had success in the past. Then in 2025, you have both added to the rotation alongside Grayson, Kremer, and Irvin. Then if they're able to resign Burnes or add another top of the rotation arm in free agency, you've got a full rotation despite Wells, Bradish and Means all on the shelf next year. 

Of course, that's a big risk still and would depend on who goes in the deal alongside Basallo. 

With the shortage of available starters and how many starters are injured, there is no way that the WS are combining Crochet and Fedde in the same package unless it's approaching a Soto type package.  I think you are underestimating the cost of pitching especially at the deadline.  This is what one fan proprosed on MLBtraderumors and the host didn't shoot it down as unreasonable:

Wild Blockbuster

9:33

Would Detroit consider moving Skubal if the Os offered Holliday, McDermott & Bradfield?

Mark P

9:34

While I continue to think Detroit isn't trading Skubal anywhere for obvious logical reasons, if the Orioles did offer Holliday, the Tigers would at least think about it

26 minutes ago, OsBeavs said:

You would rather have Mayo than Westburg? Hmm, I wouldn't trade westburg for mayo and mustard if I made those kind of decisions.

That's not the choices. I said I would be willing to trade Westburg because Mayo is ready to take his place and of course I also said they would need a big return to include controllability for three or more years. 

Saying that, I would not be surprised if Mayo out WAR's Westburg from 2025-2030.

I would have to think long and hard about this.  And only because we already have Adley.  But then again catchers don't last long so moving Adley to something like first base and having the youngling take over catching then is a pretty good option. 

Then again......when I see Crochet pitch?  He looks special.  Different.  Elite type of talent.

So to sum it up.....I have no idea what I would do haha. 

You don’t go higher than Kjerstad to get Crochet.  You don’t even put Kjerstad on the table to get Fedde.    Kjerstad was rated about #20 by both pipeline and BA.    Which teams are offering a package that starts with that type of package for Fedde?   No one.    For Crochet, quite possibly.

For Crochet, Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon

For Fedde,  Bradfield, Bright, Chace

6 for 2.  Done.

The WS get 2 ML ready starters, 3 young arms, and Bradfield.  Quantity and quality.   

The Orioles get two pitchers who can help this year and next and not tied into any long term contacts.   They also hold onto their big three prospects.  Ok.  I’m ready.  Come at me!

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Basallo might be a hitter on the level of Mike Piazza or Johnny Bench and there's no way you part with a talent like that for a player who might play 1.5 seasons with the Orioles before hitting free agency. I agree that Basallo may be the real #1 prospect in the organization right now.

14 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I like the idea of going after Crochet in the offseason but not for this season.  

I would consider trading Basallo for Skubal.  

The innings limit is artificial.   You can manage it if you want by using him as a 3-inning opener.  He could break tomorrow or throw 200 innings and be fine.   There’s no way to predict either way.