Would you do this deal?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Proposal Menrioned in opening post

• Yes
    • No
    • If they’d swop Brebbia for Kopech
    • Add Brebbia for a couple young DSL guys with upside

13 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

A 3+ FIP isn’t bad, Fedde’s Whip is arguably a more important stat, and 1.1 WHIP is better than league average. His .269 BABIP is worse than league average, so the defense has hurt him a little.He’s had 18 starts for 106 innings or a hair under 6 innings per start, so he won’t wear out the pen. I think he’s a splendid pickup, but would cost more than a prospect in the teens, even with our deep farm.

It’s not bad but I think we can and should do better. Akin has a lower career FIP as a reliever. And he’s not good. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Ok. Let me just make sure that I’m understanding you correctly. 

Are you asking me if I have ideas of better pitchers that we can acquire than Fedde and Kopech?

As I study Fedde on the various pages, I’m liking him more and more. His Savant page is far better than Kremer’s, so he’d be our #3, most likely. He’s got a good walk rate, an excellent GB rate, he doesn’t give up a lot of hard contact. He doesn’t K a lot, but who cares?

What am I missing in your reluctance to get him?

IMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1749.jpeg

Edited by HowAboutThat

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Hard pass for me!

The pitchers mentioned are not difference makers. IMO this would be a hedging move very similar to last season. The problem with that approach IMO is that we most likely will never have a Corbin Burnes on the roster along with Adley and Gunnar. 

IMO the more time/seasons pass by and we don’t get Adley and Gunnar locked up, the less likely it is that they will stay long term. I don’t think there is any realistic scenario that we are better without them/when they are gone. 

At some point you have to start shooting for the bullseye (championship). This trade IMO does very little to meaningfully improve us enough to increase the likelihood that we get there.

To be clear, I wouldn’t stop with this deal.  I’d also try to get Scherzer, Eovaldi, Kikuchi, Bassitt, Cobb, Detmers, or Severino. Or maybe a bigger deal (Skubal, Eflin, Luzardo, Woo) if the right deal materializes.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

As I study Fedde on the various pages, I’m liking him more and more. His Savant page is far better than Kremer’s, so he’d be our #3, most likely. He’s got a good walk rate, an excellent GB rate, he doesn’t give up a lot of hard contact. He doesn’t K a lot, but who cares?

IMO the goal should not be to simply find someone “a little better than Kremer” who we already know is not a legit #3. And after last season’s horrid showing in the postseason, I don’t want him anywhere near the mound starting a game with our season on the line.

IMO we have the capital to get a difference maker and that’s where the aim should be.

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

SG will care, lol. We’ll be hearing about how few bats he misses the rest of the year. I fear we would be buying high on him. He’s a good regression candidate. 

Just now, Warehouse said:

To be clear, I wouldn’t stop with this deal.  I’d also try to get Scherzer, Eovaldi, Kikuchi, Bassitt, Cobb, Detmers, or Severino. Or maybe a bigger deal (Skubal, Eflin, Luzardo, Woo) if the right deal materializes.

Ok, now you are talking!

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Ok. Let me just make sure that I’m understanding you correctly. 

Are you asking me if I have ideas of better pitchers that we can acquire than Fedde and Kopech?

Yes.  Pitchers that you think are realistically available.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO the goal should not be to simply find someone “a little better than Kremer” who we already know is not a legit #3. And after last season’s horrid showing in the postseason, I don’t want him anywhere near the mound starting a game with our season on the line.

IMO we have the capital to get a difference maker and that’s where the aim should be.

I understand, but I think you’re missing an important goal: we want to improve on our best, yes. We want someone who is nails from day to day, and can do everything.

But we also want to improve our floor. If we get someone significantly better than Irvin, that’s a plus, if the cost isn’t too high. So sure, lets try for a #1, but let’s also try for improved 3,4,5 guys. 
TBH, getting better 3,4,5 guys is probably more likely, and Fedde is certainly superior to all our current choices. The only obvious flaw I can see is that his FB is only about 93, and he doesn’t K a lot of guys. But he compensates with a good GB rate, and with our infield, I don’t think that’s much of a problem.

• Upvote 2

24 votes.  Only 6 firmly against.   A good indication that it’s light on our side.   As I said, I’d be happy the get just Fedde for Norby and Beavers.   Probably need to take Beavers out and replace him with a pitcher.   Norby and Baumeister?    That would hurt a little bit, wouldn’t it?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Any somewhat reasonable suggestions for Crochet?  I'm assuming there's a lot of Mayo + Basallo + 3 or 4 good prospects would be fair type deals.

Of course not ….I suggested this 

Crochet and Robert 

For 

Basallo, Bradfield , McDermott, Bright, and Stowers.

And they said we’d be lucky to get Crochet for that 😂

They think Robert is a star despite his low batting average and injury history.

They think Crochet is worth more than Cease. 

Edited by Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Rustbelt said:

Fedde versus Suarez

Fedde versus Kremer?

Who would you pick for the #3 starter?  

What is a 1/2 of season of success really worth?  

With Fedde he’s controlled through 2025. He’s better than Suarez if he can maintain…. Not quite is good as the good Kremer but much better than the bad.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Hard pass for me!

The pitchers mentioned are not difference makers. IMO this would be a hedging move very similar to last season. The problem with that approach IMO is that we most likely will never have a Corbin Burnes on the roster along with Adley and Gunnar. 

IMO the more time/seasons pass by and we don’t get Adley and Gunnar locked up, the less likely it is that they will stay long term. I don’t think there is any realistic scenario that we are better without them/when they are gone. 

At some point you have to start shooting for the bullseye (championship). This trade IMO does very little to meaningfully improve us enough to increase the likelihood that we get there.

Fedde is currently a 4 WAR pitcher this season …. But carry on

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You wouldn’t be? 

My point is that @Bemorewins  wouldn’t be.   He thinks we need to aim higher than Fedde.   I have a hard time believing he’d be ok with Fedde + Severino as our only moves at starter.