8/7 @Toronto

eddie83

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Slator has looked good, Jimenez has looked good.  Rogers hasn’t been great but if Westy doesn’t get injured he makes everyone one of those plays Mayo missed and his line looks a lot better tonight. 

I'm not really concerned about the position players, even with Westy being out.  Like others are saying I just think Elias needed to make many more pitching moves in the offseason.  Even after acquiring Kimbrel, Burnes and Suarez, there was very little margin for error or injury.  And Kimbrel and Suarez everyone knew were risky.  It's almost like why acquire a great arm in Burnes for only one season if you're not going to back him up with more solid arms in the bullpen?

• Upvote 1

Is it my impression, or defense seems to be down around the league this year? Could it be that everyone is focused on their offensive numbers because that's where the money is? Put another way, are GMs and managers willing to ignore bad defense if a player is good with the bat, more than that was the case in the past? You know, defense is a culture. Players used to take pride in their defense. If the GMs and managers start to undervalue it, it goes away.

Just home now, was listening on the radio while driving.   Could this be a shutout if we had gotten good infield defense?   Kind of sounds that way from what I heard on the radio, but a quick glance at the game thread seems like the judgement on Rogers is pretty harsh.

Have to relate the latest Melanie Newman silliness:   when the ball ticked off Holliday's glove for a hit, she started going on about how it would have been a much easier play if he wore his glove on his right hand.   The other announcer (Ben Wagner) was obligated to mention what was obvious to everyone but Melanie -- that no one has seen a lefthanded throwing second baseman above little league.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TopGunnar said:

Here comes the 2 run back breaker. Book it

Here come the usual suspects in game threads who constantly declare that the sky is about to fall, the game is lost, the season is lost, etc., at the first sign of adversity.

Occasionally they are right, although the Orioles have one of the highest winning % in all of MLB so it isn't that often.

Just now, SteveA said:

Just home now, was listening on the radio while driving.   Could this be a shutout if we had gotten good infield defense?   Kind of sounds that way from what I heard on the radio, but a quick glance at the game thread seems like the judgement on Rogers is pretty harsh.

Have to relate the latest Melanie Newman silliness:   when the ball ticked off Holliday's glove for a hit, she started going on about how it would have been a much easier play if he wore his glove on his right hand.   The other announcer (Ben Wagner) was obligated to mention what was obvious to everyone but Melanie -- that no one has seen a lefthanded throwing second baseman above little league.

Kinda.  Some hard hit balls.  Couple grounders in 1st could have been GIDP.   

Rogers isn’t pitching well and getting unlucky….

Climbing up on the soapbox now…

The Orioles have done a tremendous job of growing the bats. The majority of our lineup has 0-3 years experience and won’t start commanding big dollars for a few more years yet. Next season is the time to buy the arms. They can afford it with a great young/cheap lineup. Based on how they have drafted they have to be planning on doing this.
These guys are facing some adversity this season and it will only make them better. Last year everything went our way except for the playoffs. Speaking of the playoffs, outside of those 3 games last year, they all have little to no playoff experience. It would be near impossible to expect this young group to perform at an elite level in the playoffs right now. 
We need them to just get reps this season and compete next spring for the roster.  No excuse to not go all in this offseason. 

Climbing down now and heading back to the bar with my two cents in my pocket. 

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yes, but a lot of contact and very little swing and misses. But the defense has been very poor.