O’s face Drew Rasmussen tonight, less than 13 months post-TJ

Frobby

The O’s face Drew Rasmussen tonight, making his second major league appearance (1st start) since having TJ surgery on July 24, 2023.   It was his third TJ surgery, having undergone the procedure in March 2016 and April 2017 while in college.  

I mention this because Rasmussen’s rehab time has been relatively quick.  He had surgery last July 24, pitched in minor league rehab starting July 21 this year, and now he’s back starting games.  Only about 12.5 months elapsed.  

That gives me some hope for Kyle Bradish (surgery 6/19/24) and Tyler Wells (surgery 6/17/24) to return mid season next year.  It doesn’t always work that way, but with good fortune, it can.  

As reminder, Bradish had both TJ and internal brace surgery, while Wells had only the internal brace.

I’d mention John Means here, but he’s a free agent this Fall so we may not see him in any event.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The O’s face Drew Rasmussen tonight, making his second major league appearance (1st start) since having TJ surgery on July 24, 2023.   It was his third TJ surgery, having undergone the procedure in March 2016 and April 2017 while in college.  

I mention this because Rasmussen’s rehab time has been relatively quick.  He had surgery last July 24, pitched in minor league rehab starting July 21 this year, and now he’s back starting games.  Only about 12.5 months elapsed.  

That gives me some hope for Kyle Bradish (surgery 6/19/24) and Tyler Wells (surgery 6/17/24) to return mid season next year.  It doesn’t always work that way, but with good fortune, it can.  

As reminder, Bradish had both TJ and internal brace surgery, while Wells had only the internal brace.

I’d mention John Means here, but he’s a free agent this Fall so we may not see him in any event.  

Definitely makes me hopeful for Bradish, but one thing to note about Rasmussen is his IP will be strictly limited for some time. I read that the plan is for him to operate mostly as an opener and go no more than 1 or 2 IP this year. 

Just now, Brian88 said:

Why?

Just now, Brian88 said:

Why?

Because his injuries have limited his innings and when he’s been healthy he’s been excellent. Even this season he made four starts and was excellent. I think it is a very good idea to work out some kind of deal with him so that he remains with us.

10 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Definitely makes me hopeful for Bradish, but one thing to note about Rasmussen is his IP will be strictly limited for some time. I read that the plan is for him to operate mostly as an opener and go no more than 1 or 2 IP this year. 

If Bradish could come back late next year and be a high quality reliever then I’d take that as a win. Get him back in the rotation starting 2026

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, oriole said:

If Bradish could come back late next year and be a high quality reliever then I’d take that as a win. Get him back in the rotation starting 2026

Not counting on any of these guys with these arm injuries to come back and do anything needle moving for the O’s In the future. And hopefully the FO will have that same mindset in the offseason in regards to signings or trades. It sucks but it is what it is. Starters have become like RB’s in the NFL, you take what you get and move onto the next guy when they stop production or get hurt. 

Rasmussen did not have TJ, he had the brace procedure.

https://www.mlb.com/news/drew-rasmussen-to-have-season-ending-elbow-surgery

“He acknowledged "some relief" that he won't have to go through a third Tommy John surgery, and he's confident he can return to form after the long, arduous rehabilitation process. But he still probably won’t be ready to pitch until midseason in 2024, sparking his predominant feeling of frustration.”

• Thanks 1

Now we’re facing Jeffrey Springs, who had TJ surgery on 4/24/23.  He began his minor league rehab 5/20/24, but Tampa optioned him to the minors when his rehab was up and only recalled him on 7/30/24/.  So in his case, 15 months plus a week from surgery to pitching in a big league game. 

The 2023 Rays were precursors to the 2024 Orioles, with Springs, Rasmussen and Baz all going down with serious elbow injuries requiring major surgery.   
@Warehouse, I stand corrected on the nature of Rasmussen’s surgery.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Now we’re facing Jeffrey Springs, who had TJ surgery on 4/24/23.  He began his minor league rehab 5/20/24, but Tampa optioned him to the minors when his rehab was up and only recalled him on 7/30/24/.  So in his case, 15 months plus a week from surgery to pitching in a big league game. 

The 2023 Rays were precursors to the 2024 Orioles, with Springs, Rasmussen and Baz all going down with serious elbow injuries requiring major surgery.   
@Warehouse, I stand corrected on the nature of Rasmussen’s surgery.  

Did Springs pitch at all in the minors?

Answered my own question….He threw 12 innings over 12 appearances. They show as starts even though for 1 inning. Assuming that was one everyone 4 or 5 days it’s 2 months worth.

Edited by Roll Tide

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Did Springs pitch at all in the minors?

Answered my own question….He threw 12 innings over 12 appearances. They show as starts even though for 1 inning. Assuming that was one everyone 4 or 5 days it’s 2 months worth.

That makes it sound like Springs is only there to throw one or two innings today.