Requiring Starters to Go at Least Six Innings

Uli2001

According to this report, there's been talk among MLB executives about requiring starters to go at least six innings.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/40859122

My understanding is that the exceptions are injury (of course) and if the starter gets lit up in an inning (supposedly, a minimum x runs would have to score).

While gimmicky, I think this would improve the game. And it would _reduce_ injuries, by forcing starters to change their training regimen, and reducing the workload of relievers.

This is something I recall mentioning here on this board. I think injuries are up because starters expect now to throw only 80-90 pitches. They have changed their preparation to increase velocity ($$$), which reduces durability.

6 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

According to this report, there's been talk among MLB executives about requiring starters to go at least six innings.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/40859122

My understanding is that the exceptions are injury (of course) and if the starter gets lit up in an inning (supposedly, a minimum x runs would have to score).

While gimmicky, I think this would improve the game. And it would _reduce_ injuries, by forcing starters to change their training regimen, and reducing the workload of relievers.

This is something I recall mentioning here on this board. I think injuries are up because starters expect now to throw only 80-90 pitches. They have changed their preparation to increase velocity ($$$), which reduces durability.

I can't think of a worse rule than this. There are so many variables as to when/why to remove a pitcher that would make this problematic. I just can't believe they are seriously considering this. I also, can't believe the union would ever allow this to happen. 

• Upvote 1

Because pitchers don't get injured enough already? What a stupid idea.

I could see a "minimum batters faced" for starters similar to the "three batter rule" for relievers if they wanted to cut down on/disincentivize the "opener" strategy. 

Doing it by innings is absolutely insane. What happens those days when a starter can't get a guy out and doesn't get through the first? You are going to leave him in for five more innings? No. 

• Upvote 1

I watched the video and I don't think it made any sense. I don't think there is any studies that link any of his points to the cause of injury or the avoidance of injury. His arguments about the benefit  of removing the analytic decision of removing a pitcher before he goes through the lineup a 3rd time is stupid. I just don't think any of his points make any sense. If this was April 1st., I'd think this was a joke. 

Whoa. I said it was gimmicky. But I can see where it would reduce injuries. Make pitchers have to pitch instead of throwing 98 mph fastballs when they do not have the equipment. There's a reason why there was only one Randy Johnson back in the day: he was basically a freak. To me the most pressing problem is still the lack of electronic balls and strikes, but at some point, you will have to do something about pitching injuries. What it is, I don't know.

Just now, Uli2001 said:

Whoa. I said it was gimmicky. But I can see where it would reduce injuries. Make pitchers have to pitch instead of throwing 98 mph fastballs when they do not have the equipment. There's a reason why there was only one Randy Johnson back in the day: he was basically a freak. To me the most pressing problem is still the lack of electronic balls and strikes, but at some point, you will have to do something about pitching injuries. What it is, I don't know.

I don’t believe any evidence supports that we are seeing any more injuries now than ever before.

17 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

They won't stop throwing 98.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They won't stop throwing 98.

If starters are again rewarded by going deep into games instead of throwing high-90's fastballs, as was the case in the past, they would focus into going deep in games instead of throwing high-90's fastballs. I agree that this is not going to happen organically. Something needs to be done to force this to happen.

I think the cause for injury is the max effort of pitchers and the early training of athletes in learning how to max out. This is just too much stress on arms. 

Not everyone is meant to throw 95+ but now all the emphasis is on speed so that is what athletes are chasing.  I just don’t know if this is a trend? I’m hoping some junk ballers will start having success and that may change the thought process some.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

If starters are again rewarded by going deep into games instead of throwing high-90's fastballs, as was the case in the past, they would focus into going deep in games instead of throwing high-90's fastballs. I agree that this is not going to happen organically. Something needs to be done to force this to happen.

But they won't. Hitters are being held in check by the higher velocity.  Less effective pitchers will have higher stress innings and will get pulled.