A few things

bigbird

Not to get off topic (or is it on topic), any one have a prediction on what NL team we would potentially be shipping Traschel to? And for what?

I believe BB mentioned that we were talking to the DBacks before the deadline for Trax...Not sure if they are still interested though.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, Burres is younger and has had better MiL success and did it in much better hitters leagues.

Have you ever watched these two guys pitch? There is no comparison. Guthrie is by far the better pitcher. He throws 10 mph harder, and has better command.

Have you ever watched these two guys pitch? There is no comparison. Guthrie is by far the better pitcher. He throws 10 mph harder, and has better command.

Did you read what i said?

I said if Burres gets control.

And IMO, Burres's secondary pitches are more consistent than Guthrie's are.

I don't care about the velocity difference.

I love it when I see the "a few things" thread! Thanks as always, BB!

I do not love that your guy has not heard anything about Weiters, but I think it will get done.

I was thinking the very same thing. I am pleased to hear about the news on a Trax trade.

During the game Thorne said something about the O's only getting cash now for Gomez could mean something could happen between the two teams in the off-season. Isn't that the end of the deal we get cash and they get Gomez ?

Remember last year we worked the Javy Lopez trade in 2 stages... We traded Javy to Boston for a PTBNL and then got Stern for cash in the offseason - probably for $1 just to formally close the trade.

I don't know if this applies here since the Javy deal was announced as a trade for a PTBNL while the Gomez situation sounds just like a straight waiver claim.

Remember last year we worked the Javy Lopez trade in 2 stages... We traded Javy to Boston for a PTBNL and then got Stern for cash in the offseason - probably for $1 just to formally close the trade.

I don't know if this applies here since the Javy deal was announced as a trade for a PTBNL while the Gomez situation sounds just like a straight waiver claim.

The Orioles traded Lopez and sent $1.3m to the Red Sox for a PTBNL. Acquiring Stern later just finalized the deal.

Sporting News

BALTIMORE -- Javy Lopez was traded from the Baltimore Orioles to Boston on Friday, a deal that gives the former All-Star another chance to play and provides the Red Sox a replacement for injured catcher Jason Varitek.

The Orioles sent Lopez and $1.3 million to the Red Sox for a player to be named.

I'll have to find it, but like the other poster, there was some tricky rerd-tape with the trade and I do remember it being broken into two deals for some reason.

Tampa Bay claimed Stern so the Sox had to pull him back and wait 30 days before trading Stern

I'll have to find it, but like the other poster, there was some tricky rerd-tape with the trade and I do remember it being broken into two deals for some reason.

It not unusual for a PTBNL to be sent to the new club at a later date. In Stern's case, he never cleared waivers in August, so he had to be sent after the season was over.

MLB Red Sox

Though catcher Javy Lopez is no longer a member of the Red Sox, the club officially completed the transaction that brought him aboard from the Orioles in August. The Red Sox announced on Tuesday that outfielder Adam Stern, a Rule 5 pick in December 2004, has been shipped to the Orioles.

Stern is the player to be named in the trade that brought Lopez to Boston on Aug. 4. The reason the Red Sox needed Lopez was the injury to captain Jason Varitek.

Lopez did not perform as well as the Red Sox would have hoped, as he hit .190 with no homers and four RBIs in 18 games. The Red Sox designated him for assignment on Sept. 8.

The reason Stern took so long to be transferred in the deal is that he had to pass through waivers, which the Red Sox were unsuccessful in doing in August. Once the season is over, waivers are no longer required to move players to another team.

Archived