A few things

bigbird

News on Fernando Cabrera

http://www.tbo.com/sports/rays/MGBI519FA5F.html

Former Indians RHP Fernando Cabrera can be signed by anyone when he clears release waivers today, and the Rays expect to get a deal done. The Orioles reportedly are also interested in the reliever.

The hard-throwing 25-year-old, who struck out 39 in 33 2/3 innings for the Indians this year, isn't eligible for arbitration until after the 2008 season.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back to the few things topic and Gibby going on the DL. Why do the O's time after time treat everything like its confidential information being guarded by the FBI? I mean, I am positive that by now, 12:45 on Monday afternoon, that the O's are resting comfortably in New York City. I am sure the plane left sometime last eveing. Yet here we are, we still don't know if Gibby has been DL'd yet. We still don't know who is taking his spot on the team, although I'm sure this person is currently in New York with the team. I just don't get it. What's the damn secret here O's? Do you think that if the Yankees know we are bringing up Knott, or House, or resigning Rafael Palmeiro, that they will somehow have an advantage over us? Or do you think that by not announcing the move until later gives US some type of advantage? Announce the move already! Same with the Weiter's signing. If its done, announce it. I understand the whole Bud Selig verdict and all, but we are only 2 days away from the deadline. Are Weiters and Arietta signed? Are we not gonna sign them? What gives? Contrary to what they may believe, holding the news until Wednesday is not gonna make us any happier or make it some grand unvailing. Just tell us damnit!

Rant over!

Getting back to the few things topic and Gibby going on the DL. Why do the O's time after time treat everything like its confidential information being guarded by the FBI? I mean, I am positive that by now, 12:45 on Monday afternoon, that the O's are resting comfortably in New York City. I am sure the plane left sometime last eveing. Yet here we are, we still don't know if Gibby has been DL'd yet. We still don't know who is taking his spot on the team, although I'm sure this person is currently in New York with the team. I just don't get it. What's the damn secret here O's? Do you think that if the Yankees know we are bringing up Knott, or House, or resigning Rafael Palmeiro, that they will somehow have an advantage over us? Or do you think that by not announcing the move until later gives US some type of advantage? Announce the move already! Same with the Weiter's signing. If its done, announce it. I understand the whole Bud Selig verdict and all, but we are only 2 days away from the deadline. Are Weiters and Arietta signed? Are we not gonna sign them? What gives? Contrary to what they may believe, holding the news until Wednesday is not gonna make us any happier or make it some grand unvailing. Just tell us damnit!

Rant over!

The draft stuff could be cloak-and-dagger as to not affect other deals.

I don't know why the secrecy about JG though.

As for FCab, an insider said that a 'better' team was our main competition. It would suck to lose him to TB, though I guess he would get in live in Florida. :002_sbiggrin:

Not sure if it's official yet but he will be on the DL shortly....I ran into Jay late last night at Bay Cafe and he didn't travel with the team to NY and is having the surgery tommorrow. He was really down to earth and approachable. After making fun of my pal's yankee cap, he said he actually hopes the Yanks catch the Sox because he thinks it would be funny.

The draft stuff could be cloak-and-dagger as to not affect other deals.

I don't know why the secrecy about JG though.

As for FCab, an insider said that a 'better' team was our main competition. It would suck to lose him to TB, though I guess he would get in live in Florida. :002_sbiggrin:

I wouldn't blame him for signing with Tampa Bay. With that bullpen he probably becomes the #1 setup guy immediately. With our bullpen he might not actually crack the major league team. I'd take him over Shuey in a heartbeat but of course we all know how much this team's leadership loves a "veteran presence" in the bullpen, on the bench, or at any corner infield or outfield spot. :D

Um, isn't that what the "L" in "PTBNL" stands for? It's not "Player to be named Right Now"...

Ok... maybe it didn't come out right as I meant it to be. I'd say the majority of players traded as a PTBNL are traded once the Minor Leagues are over. In this case, Adam Stern was not traded until the Major Leagues was over.

So much for signing Weiters:D

If this doesn't happen, then they are a completely inept organization, and I will have given up any hope I had that a McPhail hiring would turn this organization around.

If it was going to be a problem, they should NEVER have drafted him. They should have went with their next best player, then let Boston or the Yankees draft him and sign him.

Guest oriofan8
So much for going to a contender, FCab. :rolleyes:

If Cabrera is going to sign with TB, than why didn't he just do that when they supposedly claimed him off waivers...Why did Cleveland have to pull him back, and then release FCab, just so he can sign with the same team that claimed him??? That doesn't make sense.

Ok... maybe it didn't come out right as I meant it to be. I'd say the majority of players traded as a PTBNL are traded once the Minor Leagues are over. In this case, Adam Stern was not traded until the Major Leagues was over.

This is what I think happened:

Stern was claimed and therefore was the player to be named later (there is really no reason for him to be a PTBNL if we hasn't claimed). HOWEVER, the red sox recalled him in late August of 06 and put him on the 60 day DL because they needed his 40 man spot. You can't use the PTBNL for a guy in the same league and therefore, the O's and Sox had to do a separate deal to get it done.

This is what roch said at the time:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2006/10/moves_already_being_made.html

It doesn't say exactly what I said, but you have a long time to do the PTBNL so him being recalled by BOS is the only thing I can think of to mess it up (BOS recalled him on 8/28/06 but the Javy trade was 8/3/06).

If Cabrera is going to sign with TB, than why didn't he just do that when they supposedly claimed him off waivers...Why did Cleveland have to pull him back, and then release FCab, just so he can sign with the same team that claimed him??? That doesn't make sense.

I think CLE was giving us a chance to sign him. Now, FCab gets paid by CLE and by TB when before, his CLE contract would simply have been purchased by TB.

Guest oriofan8
I think CLE was giving us a chance to sign him. Now, FCab gets paid by CLE and by TB when before, his CLE contract would simply have been purchased by TB.

OK...I guess. Still seems nutty..

Archived