Thought Trembley Wanted To Extend Pitchers?

GnatsFan

89 pitches. Only 4 hits through 5 innings versus a very good Yankees lineup.

Result: Trembley yanks him. (I'm not buying the, "Its only the first game we don't want to overwork him" argument)

I gave Trembley the benefit of the doubt with Guthrie as Guthrie was squirming in and out of jams and looked to be tiring.

I gave Trembley the benefit of the doubt with Uehara because we had a big lead and Uehara was coming back from a hammy injury.

Who liked Trembley's move of yanking Simon when he did today?

Edit: And yes I posted this well before the floodgates open.. so don't think I'm second guessing here. I actually posted this when Bass struck out the 1st batter he faced.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trembley has taken all three SP's out an inning sooner then I thought necessary. I"m theorizing here but could this be an attempt to skip Eaton on game 6? The starters have not been heavily worked and have plenty of days off.

Why not just throw Uehara out there Sunday? Apparently Guthrie is starting Saturday, I say keep the rotation intact for now.

Plus you don't have to put Easton on the 5 man right away thus delaying sending someone to AAA.

Note: Hunter just said the same thing as I was typing this during the Thursday MASN broadcast

I'm not sure why you aren't buying the "it's only the first game" explanation. Because that's the reason.

He pitched during Winter Ball... the guy wasn't tiring.. his pitches weren't all over the place. Where is the empirical proof that Simon needed to be yanked? This 100 pitch limit thing really pisses me off.

I understand the Bass argument as that makes sense... DT needs to see what he offers with Eaton knocking someone off the roster come Sunday... but I think we could have left Simon in one more batter... he surrenders a hit or walk.. okay... take him out... but that looked like a quick hook.

All five of our starting pitchers missed significant time in spring training, and probably aren't considered ready to go quite yet. That's why.

I believe Kranitz said something like he prefers his starters to get 25 IP in ST an none of them are near that. Guthrie was in the WBC, Uehara had his hammy boo-boo, Hendrickson had issues getting on the mound and wasn't groomed as a starter right away, and Simon and Eaton showed up late. Trembley may not say it outright, but he's not going to push any of them significantly past 90 pitches in their first starts.

Trembley also needs to evaluate who he's going to cut from the BP, and wants to see how they do in game situations.

All five of our starting pitchers missed significant time in spring training, and probably aren't considered ready to go quite yet. That's why.

I believe Kranitz said something like he prefers his starters to get 25 IP in ST an none of them are near that. Guthrie was in the WBC, Uehara had his hammy boo-boo, Hendrickson had issues getting on the mound and wasn't groomed as a starter right away, and Simon and Eaton showed up late. Trembley may not say it outright, but he's not going to push any of them significantly past 90 pitches in their first starts.

Trembley also needs to evaluate who he's going to cut from the BP, and wants to see how they do in game situations.

Right now, Bass looks like the odd man out. As for stretching out pitchers. It may sound harsh, but Simon is fodder. We shouldn't care what happens to him as Bergesen could be recalled and take his place the next turn through. Leave him in and save the bullpen.

Trembley's got to let his starters, especially the fodder pitch their innings.

Uehara hasn't been a regular starter for a while and he's coming from a country where starters tend to start on 5 days rest, not 4.

There's absolutely, positively no way he is going to start on 3 days rest.

The Sunday starter will be Eaton. The only other possibility is someone from the bullpen. But I'm 95% certain it will be Eaton.

Guthrie and Uehara missed time in the spring so they're not fully stretched out and, remember, these Japanese guys are used to pitching on five days rest so that was probably another factor in the early exit last night. We have to judge as the season goes on but Trembley has stated in no uncertain terms that the starters will have to go longer this year.

Archived