Thought Trembley Wanted To Extend Pitchers?

GnatsFan

I'm not sure why you aren't buying the "it's only the first game" explanation. Because that's the reason.

When it comes to Simon though- he just finished the Mexican League season before spring training- hence his readiness IN the spring. It's not like he was going to be overworked TOO EARLY. I thought it was too early to take him out for sure.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to Simon though- he just finished the Mexican League season before spring training- hence his readiness IN the spring. It's not like he was going to be overworked TOO EARLY. I thought it was too early to take him out for sure.

According to here, the Mexican League runs from mid-March with the playoffs running through mid-August. That would not jive with what you have. Thus he would not be ready for extended innings early.

If I recall (and according to here), Simon pitched in the Mexican League in 2008 where in 17 games for their Monterey team. Than, signed with the Orioles where he made 1 start for Norfolk in August, and was called up to the big club in September and made 4 appearances (1 start).

89 pitches. Only 4 hits through 5 innings versus a very good Yankees lineup.

Result: Trembley yanks him. (I'm not buying the, "Its only the first game we don't want to overwork him" argument)

I gave Trembley the benefit of the doubt with Guthrie as Guthrie was squirming in and out of jams and looked to be tiring.

I gave Trembley the benefit of the doubt with Uehara because we had a big lead and Uehara was coming back from a hammy injury.

Who liked Trembley's move of yanking Simon when he did today?

Edit: And yes I posted this well before the floodgates open.. so don't think I'm second guessing here. I actually posted this when Bass struck out the 1st batter he faced.

DT, may have seen sometihng with Simon and thought it best to pull him. It was the first start for Simon. I can't argue against what DT did. Some that know a lot about baseball and know the situation can second guess all they want. But I am far to dumb about baseball to argue about what DT did.

I think if you look at the box scores around baseball you see the exact same things going on everywhere. This is what I found in a sampling of games.

Tampa...Garza.....7IP then 3 relievers

Red Sox...Dice K....5.1 (about normal for Him)...then 4 relievers

Dodgers....Kershaw 5 IP then 4 relievers

Padres....Correia 5 IP....then 3 relievers

Tor. Romero 6 IP then 3 relievers

Detroit....Porcello...5 IP then 2 relievers

Brewers....Parra 4.2 then 3 relievers

Giants....Cain.....then 3 relievers

Sea. Washburn 8IP then 1 reliever

Twins...Perkins 8 IP then 1 reliever

Indians....Pavano 1 IP then 4 relievers

Texas... McCarthy 5 IP...then 3 relievers

Royals....Davies....7 IP then 2 relievers

CWS...Danks...6 IP then 4 relievers

NYM.....Perez....4.1 then 4 relievers

Reds...Arroyo..6 IP then 4 relievers

Pirates.....Ohlendorf 6 IP then 2

STL. Carpenter 7 IP then 2

Orioles....Simon 5 then 3 relievers

NYY...AJ....5.1 then 4 relievers

Limiting the starters early in the year has been the norm for years and pitching relievers for an inning an outing has been going on for the last 5-10 years. I remember Davey Johnson saying, the best way to work a BP is to have 2 groups. They pitch one inning or so every other day. The closer's work load is what the situation demands. If memory serves that was his thought process when he managed the O's, and it worked. The difference was that the BP threw strikes and the innings were not marathons. Throwing an inning every other day does not seem like stressing the pen.

As for Simon he was as noted, at 89 pitches, and had just thrown 2 long balls. I was working at the time but I believe he did start the 6th inning and gave up a hit to TBag. At that point DT pulled him. Bass had not worked yet this year and in theory had he thrown well could have easily gone deep into the game. The move was the right one but did not work. Not to be contrary but am I the only one who could imagine a thread that asks how could DT let the game get away from us if Simon was allowed to stay and gotten beat up?

Exactly! He came out to start the 6th. Are we to believe:

A) Trembley said, "Hey Simon, go out in the 6th and after 1 batter I'm pulling you so as to not wear you out"

or

B) Trembley wet himself when Simon gave up the first hit and pulled him?

Why didn't Trembley start Bass for the 6th? Did he really want Simon to get an extra 5 pitches or whatever it was before calling his day over? All the pieces to this puzzle don't fit. :scratchchinhmm:

Or maybe the decision was made to let Simon go out and pitch until he gave up his first base runner?

Lots of managers do the exact same thing. They would like to pull the guy but decide you know what, if he can give me a 1-2-3 for one more inning why not give him the chance. If he doesn't, he's gone.

You are making mountains out of little tiny mole hills here. Look at our starters? Would anyone in their right mind be confident in them? Why not get them out with some positive feelings after their first start instead of risking them going out there and imploding, thus making their entire start look bad.

I think it had more to do with getting Simon out of their after a had some success without risking an implosion that would have given him a bad feeling. If Brian Bass does his job, this argument doesn't even come up.

Maybe Simon was taken out because he just isn't good enough?

The guy has poor secondary pitches and iffy fastball command.

If we can get 5-6 IP and 4 or less runs from him per outing, we should consider ourselves lucky.

May be able to be a good reliever though.

If we can get 5-6 IP and 4 or less runs from him per outing, we should consider ourselves lucky.

At the game I was thinking the same thing, and he might make a decent long guy. He's got stamina and heat, although not much more, and appears to be able to keep it in the zone. He'd probably be one of our better relievers.

I see a lot of other pitchers going 100 pitches early in the season - so if Trembley wants to pull Simon because he's teetering, that's fine. Simon had a decent start and there was not much wrong with the pitch Swisher hit out.

My issue with DT is that Guts gave up two walks and 3 extra base hits in a six batter or so span on Monday around the same pitch total and DT left Guts in for three more batters that could easily have let the NYY back in the game.

Guts was teetering significantly worse than Simon, but was left in.

I see a lot of other pitchers going 100 pitches early in the season - so if Trembley wants to pull Simon because he's teetering, that's fine. Simon had a decent start and there was not much wrong with the pitch Swisher hit out.

My issue with DT is that Guts gave up two walks and 3 extra base hits in a six batter or so span on Monday around the same pitch total and DT left Guts in for three more batters that could easily have let the NYY back in the game.

Guts was teetering significantly worse than Simon, but was left in.

Guts is a starter who knows how to get out of trouble. Simon is a rookie who just gave up a homerun to the Yankees in his first major league start.

Then pull him after 5, don't let him come out for the 6th.

Sometimes I like the "you're going back out until you let someone on" move. I just didn't like it yesterday. I would have left him in, especially since the single Teix got was on a pretty good pitch. It was a broken bat.

Guts is a starter who knows how to get out of trouble. Simon is a rookie who just gave up a homerun to the Yankees in his first major league start.
Not exactly the situation. He got hit hard in the 4th, but had a dominant 5th and then Tex had a broken-bat flare to right field.

Or maybe the decision was made to let Simon go out and pitch until he gave up his first base runner?

Lots of managers do the exact same thing. They would like to pull the guy but decide you know what, if he can give me a 1-2-3 for one more inning why not give him the chance. If he doesn't, he's gone.

You are making mountains out of little tiny mole hills here. Look at our starters? Would anyone in their right mind be confident in them? Why not get them out with some positive feelings after their first start instead of risking them going out there and imploding, thus making their entire start look bad.

Agreed, I think DT handled it the way just about every manager in baseball handles it. I am sure he was looking for and hoping for a quick 1-2-3 but when Tex got on he was done. It really does not matter if it is a broken bat, HBP, catcher interference, he had made up his mind he was getting him at the first sign of trouble. It was 3-2 t the time, Bass was fresh and ready to go. The move was the right one, it just did not work. Trembley is a good manager, he wants to win. Your reference to our starters says it all. How confident can he be in them?

Archived