Should the Orioles relieve Brandon Hyde of his duties?

Deadwood Fan

On 8/23/2024 at 8:10 AM, waroriole said:

It would be stupid to do anything in season but I’d be in favor of finding someone else after this season. I get there are injuries but my rationale is mostly based on the puzzling moves he makes and the lack of fire down the stretch. That said, if he comes back it’s not the end of the world. 

Well said. I just don't know if Hyde knows how to manage a playoff winning team, in terms of bullpen management and such. Our window will only be open for so long.....but who is available with a track record?

6 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

In terms of what will actually happen— I don’t think Hyde is even on the hot seat until a couple months into next season, at the earliest. And that’s only if things go really bad between now and then. 

This is likely the most accurate prediction on this thread barring a complete September meltdown. Nothing is going to happen with a manager of a team that is only 1.5 games out of the number one seed in the AL and has the second best record in the AL.

To fire Hyde right now would be unprecedented unless some Pete Rose like scandal pops up out of nowhere.

Some things in Hyde's defense

-I think a lot of what we see with lineups and bullpen moves is Sigbot influenced. How much rope does Hyde have on certain decisions? 

-New personalities are in the dugout/bullpen for Hyde to manage. Winning is always the best factor in clubhouse culture, but it can take a minute to figure out a new dynamic. 

-Injuries have given him less depth, less talent

-He ain't afraid of getting pissed; he seems to choose his moments

Unless things went haywire in the next season or so, I feel like Hyde has earned at least 2 more seasons after this one

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gamiliel said:

Well said. I just don't know if Hyde knows how to manage a playoff winning team, in terms of bullpen management and such. Our window will only be open for so long.....but who is available with a track record?

Last year the team never gave him a lead. My guess is he would be a lot more willing to extend Bautista and Cano in those one run situations. With off days and such he will have everybody available most games unlike the regular season. 

Firing Hyde would be a nonsensical move right now. A knee jerk reaction.

Baseball is a long season, full of ups and downs. He is a steady force, and definitely imperfect. Part of his appeal as a manager is that he has a fairly calm exterior, but he is fiery. He doesn’t just flip his lid for some minor thing.

He does make mistakes, and tends to over-manage, at times, with matchups and such. And perhaps he is loyal to a fault, but his players love him for it.

If we are going to blame Hyde for this mess, I think it misguided. You can say this is a very flawed and inexperienced team. Its construction has sacrificed some defense for production. Injuries to Mateo and Westburg have hurt. We have infielders who cannot execute a proper tag, or make a basic throw on the run. Mullins is banged up, again.

We can certainly lay some bricks at Elias’ feet for team construction. How many LH bats do we need? Adding Slater was actually a good move. Eloy Jimenez, I actually like that too.

We have watched this team change over from the hungry grinders to the young stars. We do seem to have guys who want to be stars, rather than be good at baseball and win games. I don’t care how many home runs we hit. Kevin Brown talks about that like I should actually care. Or what the exit velo is on a ground ball out. I want to see guys play smart, with a good approach. Shorten up with two strikes. Execute a bunt, or a hit and run. I want them to play team baseball and win. The Astros dugout is so much more engaged than we are. They have a few stars, but those guys just have some good solid players who are always hungry and in the game. When the camera pans into their dugout, look how engaged they are. 

Edited by Jammer7
  • Upvote 2

FWIW Buck Showalter did not deserve to get fired by the Yankees in 1995.   Hard to complain about how the Torre hiring worked out.  Os 2023-24, not dissimilar to Yankees 1994-95 in terms of young core these were not FA laden Yankee teams.  

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Last year the team never gave him a lead. My guess is he would be a lot more willing to extend Bautista and Cano in those one run situations. With off days and such he will have everybody available most games unlike the regular season. 

I did not mean manage only in a playoff game, I was speaking of overall use of the bullpen. I just don't think he is very good strategically. Based on how he uses the BP during the regular season, I have little confidence that he will push the right buttons in the playoffs. But again, I can't think of one legitimate proven winner available to take over for him. 

21 minutes ago, Oriole40 said:

I told my wife yesterday that they probably would fire him, not that they should, but what else is there, and teams usually do that about this time in the  scheme of things that is happening.

He isn’t getting fired.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2024 at 7:33 PM, Deadwood Fan said:

I saw the Mariners fired Scott Servais earlier today. If this uninspiring play continues for the Orioles, should the Orioles fire Hyde? 

No.

Injuries are a big part of the inconsistency over the last couple months.

I would like to see the defense — regardless of who is on the field — to tighten up a bit.

And I’m not sure there is any way to manage the current bullpen other than a blindfold and a dartboard with names on it.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2024 at 7:55 AM, Jammer7 said:

Firing Hyde would be a nonsensical move right now. A knee jerk reaction.

Baseball is a long season, full of ups and downs. He is a steady force, and definitely imperfect. Part of his appeal as a manager is that he has a fairly calm exterior, but he is fiery. He doesn’t just flip his lid for some minor thing.

He does make mistakes, and tends to over-manage, at times, with matchups and such. And perhaps he is loyal to a fault, but his players love him for it.

If we are going to blame Hyde for this mess, I think it misguided. You can say this is a very flawed and inexperienced team. Its construction has sacrificed some defense for production. Injuries to Mateo and Westburg have hurt. We have infielders who cannot execute a proper tag, or make a basic throw on the run. Mullins is banged up, again.

We can certainly lay some bricks at Elias’ feet for team construction. How many LH bats do we need? Adding Slater was actually a good move. Eloy Jimenez, I actually like that too.

We have watched this team change over from the hungry grinders to the young stars. We do seem to have guys who want to be stars, rather than be good at baseball and win games. I don’t care how many home runs we hit. Kevin Brown talks about that like I should actually care. Or what the exit velo is on a ground ball out. I want to see guys play smart, with a good approach. Shorten up with two strikes. Execute a bunt, or a hit and run. I want them to play team baseball and win. The Astros dugout is so much more engaged than we are. They have a few stars, but those guys just have some good solid players who are always hungry and in the game. When the camera pans into their dugout, look how engaged they are. 

I agree with your comments about Hyde, but I think when you compare the Orioles to other teams you are looking through a lens of the recent rough patch (slightly poo colored glasses). People seem to forget that the Orioles are in fact 7 games ahead of the Astros and the Orioles offense has scored almost 80 runs more than the Astros. The Astros recent hot streak and the Orioles struggles to replace a big chunk of their pitching staff has clouded the view of a lot of fans IMO (and people are saying negative stuff that is not backed up by the data). The Astros looked like dog poo not long ago and they will eventually come back to earth from their recent hot streak. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree with your comments about Hyde, but I think when you compare the Orioles to other teams you are looking through a lens of the recent rough patch (slightly poo colored glasses). People seem to forget that the Orioles are in fact 7 games ahead of the Astros and the Orioles offense has scored almost 80 runs more than the Astros. The Astros recent hot streak and the Orioles struggles to replace a big chunk of their pitching staff has clouded the view of a lot of fans IMO (and people are saying negative stuff that is not backed up by the data). The Astros looked like dog poo not long ago and they will eventually come back to earth from their recent hot streak. 

My comments aren’t necessarily negative towards Hyde. It is directed at whomever makes these decisions. From construction to usage, the pen has been used, in my humble fan and amateur coach opinion, wrong. It is a weakness. We can certainly point to injuries, and my point is that some of these injuries were likely avoidable with less reckless handling. We can talk about the injuries to the starters, and I already addressed that too.

I’m a huge fan of the management. I simply think they need to rebuild and re-evaluate how they deploy these pen assets for more longevity. No matter how good they are, they cannot have any impact on any games from the 60 day IL. Relievers are very volatile, but they should not be throw away pieces.