This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy

RZNJ

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep. You know my thoughts on all of this and it is frustrating. Even not dealing guys like Mountcastle, Hays or O'Hearn this offseason to make space for guys was short sighted. 

Besides Gunnar, Adley and Holliday, and Westburg to a lesser extent, none of the other prospects like Ortiz, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, Stowers, and Mayo were given everyday opportunities from the start. When they did play them, they have a nice game and instantly be back on the bench for days at a time. Cowser finally forced the issue by having that strong start and good defense, if he had struggled at all, Hays would still be in LF.

Ortiz or Westburg should have been the starting 2B last year when they wasted money on Frazier. They came into this year with Cowser and Kjerstad needing everyday PAs, but instead brought their entire outfield back. 

For a team that has been drafting college hitters mostly, it does seem weird that the offense stinks and they have to employ the likes of Jimenez, Rivera and Maton and the only prospects they had ready have really struggled, one of which Mayo is getting the backup experience. 

This is going to be even more of a concern for 2025 in my opinion.

There's really not a lot to pull from in the minors, most likely losing Santander and Burnes plus some.

Kjerstad is a question mark because he's never been given an opportunity to get a months worth of AB's because of usage and injuries.

I'm just doom and gloom right now because the last couple of months have been really disappointing. It's going to take some decent money this off season to address some of the needs, and I'm hoping ownership will be willing. I'm also hoping Mr Elias will be willing to rely on outside talent that's a bit better than the stop gaps that we've seen so far. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep. You know my thoughts on all of this and it is frustrating. Even not dealing guys like Mountcastle, Hays or O'Hearn this offseason to make space for guys was short sighted. 

Besides Gunnar, Adley and Holliday, and Westburg to a lesser extent, none of the other prospects like Ortiz, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, Stowers, and Mayo were given everyday opportunities from the start. When they did play them, they have a nice game and instantly be back on the bench for days at a time. Cowser finally forced the issue by having that strong start and good defense, if he had struggled at all, Hays would still be in LF.

Ortiz or Westburg should have been the starting 2B last year when they wasted money on Frazier. They came into this year with Cowser and Kjerstad needing everyday PAs, but instead brought their entire outfield back. 

For a team that has been drafting college hitters mostly, it does seem weird that the offense stinks and they have to employ the likes of Jimenez, Rivera and Maton and the only prospects they had ready have really struggled, one of which Mayo is getting the backup experience. 

Yep. In the offseason, I said they had to trade one of Mateo or Urias and 2 of Hays, Mountcastle, Santander, OHearn, Mullins or Santander. 

If you do that, are you really any worse off right now?  Maybe if Santander was traded but it depends on what you got back and how the replacements filled in for him. The slugging and power is great but average at best defense and a 308 OBP isn’t tough to replace.

This team holding onto so many mediocre vet guys all in the name of “depth” just doesn’t sit well with me. I think it has hurt the team. 

You can always acquire depth. Depth is in abundance. Talent is not. You don’t forgo talent for depth.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My current confusion is that I thought Mayo would be in that first category, but it has been the second. I guess it shows what they think of his defense, which I get, but… the Mountcastle and Urias injuries should have been enough to bump Mayo to everyday status. Instead we are giving Eloy all this time, even though Mayo seems like a higher upside play. 

• Upvote 1

It is generally good for business some of the former Orioles are playing well.

Sean Casey was talking about Norby this morning and remembering being stuck behind Thome in Cleveland and glad to get to Cincinnati.

If SIGBOT thought Norby would be first string ever on its depth chart, I believe it would have treated him differently.    Obviously the Westburg injury timing was atrocious, making today seem worse.

We'll see if Norby outplays any of Westburg/Gunnar/Holliday next year, or the seasons to come.   Big picture I'm glad the guy is getting a shot.     I'd mentioned Mayo establishment as an opportunity cost of hoarding players, and I suppose that idea fits for Norby too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

If SIGBOT thought Norby would be first string ever on its depth chart, I believe it would have treated him differently.  

Perhaps SIGBOT failed to forecast Norby’s .342 ISO and .409 BABIP with the Marlins.

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Perhaps SIGBOT failed to forecast Norby’s .342 ISO and .409 BABIP with the Marlins.

Neither of them are obviously sustainable, but Norby did slash .297/.389/.519/.908 this year and had over 1000 AAA PAs so it's not like his bat wasn't ready. 

• Upvote 1

To be fair, out of 434 batters with more than 100 PA’s, Norby is tied for 2nd in terms of wOBA - xwOBA. Not saying he wouldn’t be useful here, but his average exit velocity, Chase %, whose rate, K%, and BB% all look like they’re bottom 20th percentile. And his defense is very bad. 

Again, he would be useful as a DH and obviously his hot streak would be nice, but not sure how sustainable it is. I’m more concerned that all their young guys are struggling and Norby has seen immediate results, sustainable or not. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, LGOrioles said:

To be fair, out of 434 batters with more than 100 PA’s, Norby is tied for 2nd in terms of wOBA - xwOBA. Not saying he wouldn’t be useful here, but his average exit velocity, Chase %, whose rate, K%, and BB% all look like they’re bottom 20th percentile. And his defense is very bad. 

Again, he would be useful as a DH and obviously his hot streak would be nice, but not sure how sustainable it is. I’m more concerned that all their young guys are struggling and Norby has seen immediate results, sustainable or not. 

Whiff rate^

On 9/6/2024 at 8:38 AM, waroriole said:

For me it’s people who don’t know how to drive in a roundabout. Country bumpkins. 

On 9/6/2024 at 8:42 AM, RZNJ said:

The second one.  Or stopped at a red light and only put their blinker on when the light turns green.  Or swing out to the right to make a left turn.   

On 9/6/2024 at 9:03 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Or leave a gap of three cars in front of them in a LH turn lane resulting in the people behind them not even being able to get in the LH turn lane

Yesterday coming home from work someone in front of me stopped for the school bus in front of them. That's fine. That's what you're supposed to do. But they stopped 75 yards from the bus. They left a 75 yard buffer between the stopped bus and their car. They had Jersey plates. That's not something you do in Jersey is it?

The bus stopped at least twice to let kids off, and both times they did it. Weird.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yesterday coming home from work someone in front of me stopped for the school bus in front of them. That's fine. That's what you're supposed to do. But they stopped 75 yards from the bus. They left a 75 yard buffer between the stopped bus and their car. They had Jersey plates. That's not something you do in Jersey is it?

The bus stopped at least twice to let kids off, and both times they did it. Weird.

You must stop your vehicle not less than 25 feet from a stopped school bus with flashing red lights when traveling on the same side of the roadway.

On 9/6/2024 at 7:39 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Stop crawling up their tailpipe and you won’t get brake checked. 

They shouldn't be going 48 in a 50 mph zone! They're playing with fire!

Also, not brake checking when they do it at completely random intervals, and lightly enough so that their car doesn't even slow down. They're just driving along at 48 and every ~10 to 90 seconds the brake lights briefly come on for no apparent reason. 😖

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

75 yards is a lot.   Didn’t know the 25 ft rule that Corn posted but that certainly makes sense.   I try to err on the side of safety regarding school buses but 75 yards certainly sounds excessive.   Lol