Elias taking accountability

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Has anyone asked him why our top prospects struggle so much when they come to the majors?  Rookies on other teams with much weaker credentials have not struggled out of the gate the way that Coby Mayo, Jackson Holliday, Adley Rustchman and Colton Cowser have.  

Adley had an .806 OPS his rookie season.  Cowser had an OPS of over 1.000 in April.  

4 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Drafting strategies aside, I don't see how anyone can point at Elias and say 'this is your fault'.  First of all, he's still built a playoff team (probably - I still hesitate to assume this, though just a couple more wins would ease my mind) even though half the team is missing (some more unexpectedly than others).  Second of all, the dregs he's had to pull up here lately haven't even been THAT bad considering how far down the depth chart they are/were.  Rivera has hit OK, L Soto in a VERY small size has at least shown a good glove.  He took a shot on Eloy and that hasn't really worked out, but it didn't cost much of anything to try.  I really don't know what people would have expected him to do.

If anything, you could argue that the criticism he faced about not bringing up Holliday and Mayo sooner, rings pretty hollow given how bad they have been now that they are here.  Would they be any better here today if they had been playing in the majors for the last three months or whatever?  Hard to say, but at the rate they've been hitting, I don't know how any team could have given them the rope they apparently need.

I think he deserves criticism for how he built this bullpen.  It was a known issue coming into the year and all he did was make a highly questionable signing in Kimbrel.  I think he has a philosophy that relievers are volatile so he doesn't invest there.  There is certainly credence to that but he whiffed on his ability to find a Coulombe or Webb or Cano this year.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I think he deserves criticism for how he built this bullpen.  It was a known issue coming into the year and all he did was make a highly questionable signing in Kimbrel.  I think he has a philosophy that relievers are volatile so he doesn't invest there.  There is certainly credence to that but he whiffed on his ability to find a Coulombe or Webb or Cano this year.

Bullpen has not been the problem since the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Adley and Cowser both got off to terrible starts.  Adley turned it around his rookie season eventually.   Cowser never got it going last year.  

It's total bs Adley had a terrible start to his career, unless you mean only 10 games in May 2022. 

In those 10 games he had a mere .529 OPS, but by the following month he had raised his OPS to .775.  And the month after that he raised it to .859, finishing the season with an OPS of .851.

Cowser did not hit well in 2023, but he only had 77 plate appearances.

You know who did suck the first two months of his career?  Jackson Chourio.  In his first month he had an OPS of .608, while in his second month he had an OPS of only .582 -- for a total of 174 plate appearances through the end of May.  Jackson Merrill was better but still couldn't crack a .700 OPS for over two months.  He had a scorching June but then cooled off again with an under .700 OPS in July.

Let's end the myths that young Orioles struggle early while none of the other top prospects around the league do.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

Let's end the myths that young Orioles struggle early while none of the other top prospects around the league do.

No one’s said that other top prospects don’t struggle. 

There’s a sense of entire that ours shouldn’t, for some reason. I’m not sure why. 

Maybe it’s because if Holliday and Mayo were hitting, this offense wouldn’t be performing so poorly like it has been for the past month or so. Maybe it’s because we’ve been conditioned to think that a lot of our guys are “can’t miss.”

The only thing that’s missed are the pitches that Mayo and Holliday swing at night after night, game after game.

In regard to Elias, it’s nice of him to offer himself up as someone who’s taking accountability, but they’re just words and they don’t really mean anything.  I used to work for an insufferable dickhead who’d “take accountability” and say things like “I’m responsible for this,” and “this falls on me,” and “I’m the one to blame here,” and “I accept the responsibility for this,” when things went wrong.

And I’m not calling Elias an insufferable dickhead when I said that.  I’m saying that it’s easy to say those words because they’re what people want to/need to hear in a time where things are going sideways.

But that’s the thing, those words don’t mean anything unless they’re said directly to someone who controls your fate or you fail to take action to rectify the situation, which is what made the guy I worked for an insufferable dickhead.  He said those things to us,-the employees- and then proceeded not to do anything to actually take accountability in his actions.

So we’ll see what Elias does to rectify the situation in the offseason as I don’t think there’s much he can do this late in the season. I believe him when he said he didn’t anticipate this…and to be fair, none of the resident geniuses here who are calling for his head didn’t anticipate this, either.

4 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Has anyone asked him why our top prospects struggle so much when they come to the majors?  Rookies on other teams with much weaker credentials have not struggled out of the gate the way that Coby Mayo, Jackson Holliday, Adley Rustchman and Colton Cowser have.  

It’s because the strategies that they are taught and employ work much better in the minors with pitchers with worse stuff and command than in the majors.  This, in turn, inflates their minor league stats.  The good news is that thus far after an adjustment period those players do seem to adjust and do well. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

I think this where his draft strategy hurts.  We have zero depth of optionable relievers.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Right.  The team has scored the 5th most runs in baseball, and has the 2nd best OPS+, so let’s fire all the hitting coaches because the team had a month-long slump.  Got it.

@Frobby with the passive aggressive sarcasm.

I'm not sure the stats you cited properly reflect the Jekyl and Hyde season. First half vs second half differences are pretty obvious. Most of the success in runs and OPS+ happened before July 1. The injuries started piling up, and hitters started regressing. August and September team hitting stats in particular are well below league average. 

I don't know if you fire the hitting coaches because of the results, but I think Elias will consider it because he will believe something has to be adjusted for next season. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Right.  The team has scored the 5th most runs in baseball, and has the 2nd best OPS+, so let’s fire all the hitting coaches because the team had a month-long slump.  Got it.

@Frobby but where do we rank since that Yankees series?  The season long rankings don’t really matter as much right now. We clearly got figured out starting with that Houston series after pummeling the Yankees. We haven’t been able to adjust. 

Is there a way to look up team stats ranking since the HOU series began?

Edited by sportsfan8703