Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

LookitsPuck

Will the Orioles make the playoffs?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

11 games left.

2 against Giants, 3 Tigers, 3 Yankees, 3 Twins

Tigers have an easy schedule with just 1 left against the Royals, 3 Orioles, 3 Rays, 3 White Sox

Twins have 2 against Guardians, 3 Red Sox, 3 Marlins, 3 Orioles

Royals have 1 Tigers, 3 Giants, 3 Nationals, 3 Braves

Mariners have 3 Yankees, 3 Rangers, 3 Astros, 3 Athletics

Edited by LookitsPuck

I voted no as well. I don't see us winning more than 4 games the rest of the way. It was a fun first half but what a collapse and failure. I don't have much belief in anyone on this team and I'm not sure our young guys are who we thought they were(besides Gunnar).

36 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

11 games left.

2 against Giants, 3 Tigers, 3 Yankees, 3 Twins

Tigers have an easy schedule with just 1 left against the Royals, 3 Orioles, 3 Rays, 3 White Sox

Twins have 2 against Guardians, 3 Red Sox, 3 Marlins, 3 Orioles

Royals have 1 Tigers, 3 Giants, 3 Nationals, 3 Braves

Mariners have 3 Yankees, 3 Rangers, 3 Astros, 3 Athletics

Thx for the breakdown. We have to finish ahead of two of these four teams. Mariners and Tigers both 6 GB in loss column, but also the hottest two of the five teams. Therefore, an actual dogfight, who'da thunk? We also still have a 3G advantage over KC.

The order of difficulty in schedule, offhand, looks to be: SEA, BAL, MIN, KC, DET. 

So I see our best chances with the elimination of SEA (-6/7) and MIN (-4).

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion we’re witnessing one of the all-time collapses. I voted no. 

I feel that way, too.

I keep thinking about 2005. 

2005: 10 games over .500 on June 20th. 1st place, two games up.  Shortly after they went on a 2-16 skid, and their last game at .500 was at the the start of that awful home 4 game series in late July when the White Sox swept them, and Raffy was exposed as taking PEDs. They fell under .500 that series and kept on sinking. 

2024: 24 games over .500 on June 20th. 2nd place, a half game back.  Then immediately lose five straight. Due to their great start, they can't finish 14 under .500, but the dive feels eerily similar with all of the injuries, dormant bats, and all happening at the same time of year. 

The floor coming out from underneath them feels a lot like it. That team was cooked by late July and by the first week of August, Mazzilli got the axe. That won't happen with Hyde this time, as they had a fine start this year, but this can't happen two years in a row under him. 

Edited by NashLumber

Our starting pitching will get us through the last 12 and the teams behind us aren’t all winning 8 plus games.  Seattle has a 4.5 percent chance of making the playoffs. Tigers and Twins need to each win a bunch of games down the stretch and we would need to finish like 3-8 or worse. Only scenario I can see. 

Burnes (four good starts in a row), Kremer, Eflin, and Suarez will give us a chance most times they pitch. Probably going to need a few wins scoring 2 or 3 runs. 

Edited by ChuckS

I said "Yes" but I don't think the O's advance past a first round. 

The injuries were just too much, and the guys who might come back had to be back at the end of August to make a difference, not the end of September. 

I think (voted) they will, but the humane thing may be that they don't because this is not a playoff caliber team as currently constructed. If last year's playoff experience was a lesson - this year could be a full-scale train wreck.