Mullins lead off double in third inning

webbrick2010

According to the ESPN radio announcers he admired the fly ball and did not hustle out of the box. They felt that if he had ran hard out of the box it would have been a leadoff triple.

Anyone who actually saw it at the game have an opinion.

If it is true could have cost us a run and really sad that a veteran wouldn't be all out hustling in a playoff game

Edit: He definitely admired it (or perhaps thought it might get caught?). However, I don't think he had much of a chance at a triple. The fielder got it cleanly and had momentum going to his right. With the pause it ended up being pretty close at second.

The play is at 4:40 of the condensed game:

https://www.mlb.com/video/condensed-game-kc-bal-game-1?t=condensed-games

Better question to me is why wasn’t McCann bunting?  Or is he completely incapable of doing so?  You have your ace  on the mound dealing against the opposition ace who was looking super sharp as well. Move Ced to 3rd with your best two hitters coming up. Take the 1-0 lead. 

Pham played it pretty well, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a triple off that wall that didn't involve the ball bouncing past the RF.

Maybe he gets to 3b if he tries and they don't make a good relay throw, but I think he would have stopped at 2b no matter how he came out of the box. 

This Zapruder film maybe could use one of those clicker increments we had a few of back in the spring analyzing Gunnar (and maybe also Witt and Elly's) amazing home to third times.

I'm glad to hear Frobby's report.    It did seem like the ball hovered a long time though, and a RF might have messed up a carom at an unusual angle even though Pham ended up doing a decent job when the play unfolded.

3 minutes ago, MacAdoo said:

Better question to me is why wasn’t McCann bunting?  Or is he completely incapable of doing so?  You have your ace  on the mound dealing against the opposition ace who was looking super sharp as well. Move Ced to 3rd with your best two hitters coming up. Take the 1-0 lead. 

James McCann bunt attempts can create incredible baseball visuals.     Arguably the tactic probably was understandable in both plate appearances, and I'm gathering third time through the order they did pull him out of there for Rivera.

I will say Ragans dusting him after Mullins set up 1st and 3rd, 1 out the play Urias didn't score was about as little pitch to pitch threat as I can remember seeing a batter pose a pitcher while striking out on three pitches.

8 minutes ago, MacAdoo said:

This is where I am at.