Snell and Fried

Orange

5 hours ago, Orange said:

How would you feel if we trusted the growth of the offense to the bevy of top prospects we have already introduced to the big leagues, didn't sign any hitters in FA, and Rubenstein opened the checkbook and paid for the two exemplary left handers on the free agent market in Snell and Fried? They might be attracted to the dimensions of the park and we can finally start building the roster to take advantage of the wall.

We'd get comp picks for Santa and Burnes, pick up all of the bullpen options, and we'd just play all of the kids (and we'd have room for them in Baltimore).

A rotation of Snell, Fried, Rodriguez, Eflin, and Kremer with Suarez, Povich, and McDermott on standby plus some non-zero chance of contribution from Bradish and Wells. The bullpen could use another top righty, but if Felix comes back close to 100% the pen is already a strength. The big bet would be on the young guys, and I'd argue that it already is.

Snell is only good for about 22/23 starts …. He’d be a bad sign if he gets anywhere near Burnes deal..

Edited by Roll Tide

I want to resign Burnes, resign Santander (if the deal and length is fair), add another star quality bat, and then we can add to the bullpen. I absolutely love the idea of adding Max Fried (and any star left handed starter) to the rotiation, but I'm not sure I see them as a bigger priority than Burnes and boosting the lineup. I think Santander boosts the lineup because he's a rare 100 RBI per season power switch hitter who is good from both sides of the plate, and as good as any of the better switch hitters who has ever played the game. I think he is highly under rated around this message board. In other parts of Birdland, he is much more appreciated.

But resigning them will not be enough, as 2024 showed. We will need to improve the roster around them too.  And we will need more ability to manufacture runs for the offense. I think having speedsters back like Mateo will contribute to that, but the problem is we need speedsters who are more reliable at getting on base than Mateo has always been. (Maybe add a true/pure lead off hitter?) And we can use another steady power bat.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Orange said:

This is our first offseason with Uncle Ruby’s money. I think it’s burning a hole in his pocket. He wants to make a splash.

It is possible that he told Elias to come to him with whatever the best plan is and he’d be inclined to fund it. I mean, he said something to Elias, right?? What do you think he said to him about the payroll?

For all we know Elias is cheap as well. 

It just depends on what is a sustainable spend amount for the O's.  I don't want us to go crazy buying only to be sunk in a deep hole in 2 years.  We should a have a 4-5 year window of playoff appearances ahead of us.

I'd rather sign Burnes if we are going to spend big.  I think he's more realistic anyway since he knows what it's like here, and I'd feel much more comfortable with his durability than Snell/Fried.  He also appears to have figured out how to be effective without big strikeout numbers which bodes well.  I still don't see us signing him.

I'm in favor of some short-term contracts for mid-tier guys who might have a big year.  Not very exciting but I think the safer play.  Again, knowing nothing about the money situation.

14 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think he is highly under rated around this message board. In other parts of Birdland, he is much more appreciated.

I would argue the exact opposite, that Santander is wildly overrated by casual Orioles fans on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

This was easily his best season of his career so far and his overall performance was still only good for a .235/.308/.506 overall batting line.

H

in other words, he hits HRs and that's it. He has no other on-field value. Locking him up at a high AAV well into his 30s probably will not end well for whoever ends up landing him this winter.

Burnes' West Coast chances are maybe affected if Tyler Glasnow needs TJ.

Same as Elias has trash dumped stuff we didn't know on Sarasota Day 1 the last couple seasons, Friedman and the Dodgers probably know a prognosis today that won't come out until after the World Series.

It is due diligence for Scott Boras to know the Dodgers best bid before closing an auction, especially if Burnes shuns the Mets because he hates David Stearns with the fire of a thousand suns for treating him roughly in Arb.    I don't think Burnes works that great on the Dodgers either.