Snell and Fried

Orange

5 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

If it turns out that Elias is cheap , then he shouldn’t be surprised if Orioles fans become cheap as well 

I will say that the second half swoon has really damped down the Elias is infallible narrative.

I don't see anyone posting about how they need to lock him up to an unprecedented contract for an executive.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I will say that the second half swoon has really damped down the Elias is infallible narrative.

I don't see anyone posting about how they need to lock him up to an unprecedented contract for an executive.

Neither have I . However I do admit I was so excited about Elias after restructuring the whole organization and farm system . The earlier than expected winning just added to my expectations and excitement . 
I bought the Elias cheap thrifty method was due to Angelos . Now with Rubenstein takeover , what is Elias's excuse to continue cheap thrifts ?    I like Elias's deadline moves, except the Rogers .  I have no idea why O’s 2nd half swoon occurred . 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The only thing I found strange over the years is the enormous amount of blind faith that some fans had in him, to the point that he wasn't capable of making mistakes or having errors of judgment or being vulnerable to tendencies like risk aversion. He was 35 years old when he got the GM job.  I don't know any 35 year old (or anyone of any age, actually) that doesn't make mistakes at their job or screw up or make a bad decision every once in awhile. 

I agree with you totally that the "Elias is infallible" narrative was damped down. I am not sure why that didn't start to happen earlier after a couple of relatively lackluster trade deadlines, but maybe the wins on the field and the escape from purgatory starting in 2022 masked some of that. He has had the luxury of a fanbase that is (oddly) as interested in the management of the Orioles finances as they have been in wins on the field, but I do think without Angelos' cheapness as a constraint but also a shield, we will get a better feel this offseason for how he operates with real expectations and pressure. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I would argue the exact opposite, that Santander is wildly overrated by casual Orioles fans on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

This was easily his best season of his career so far and his overall performance was still only good for a .235/.308/.506 overall batting line.

H

in other words, he hits HRs and that's it. He has no other on-field value. Locking him up at a high AAV well into his 30s probably will not end well for whoever ends up landing him this winter.

He's always been around 100 RBIs per season, one of the few guys who could actually extend an At Bat and win during a tough battle with a pitcher, key hits, and if it wasn't for Santander then the Orioles would have lost several more games than they did. Santander's timely hits/home runs won them a few games.

You can Box Score Bobby his stat line, but there are some thing just pulling up the box score doesn't show you. He's been pretty under rated as a fielder in RF at Camden Yards too. It's obvious he knows the dimensions with the grounds crew garage better than any active player right now. He's certainly a much better fielder and hitter than Kjerstad is. Kjerstad could become just as good of a hitter but how long is that going to take, and how many runs will it cost the Orioles because he's not that good on defense?

Put me in the I don't want Elias going anywhere camp. Not every deal will work out which should be obvious. We haven't seen how he'll operate with a full budget yet and one thing that we absolutely know is that the man can draft and keep talent coming through the pipeline. Letting him walk would be a huge mistake IMO. We haven't even seen his draftees hit their peak yet which should be better that what we're currently seeing. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Snell is not the durable guy that Elias usually targets. 

I will continue to put forth Fried and Manaea. Quality LH SPs, one for the front end, one for the back end. Rogers and Povich in AAA. 

Fried
Eflin
Rodriguez
Manaea
Kremer

If healthy, that's plenty good enough to go deep in the playoffs. 

I like that. I would like it even more if Burnes was part of it. Never know when Rodriguez could suffer another injury with how violent his delivery is.

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He's always been around 100 RBIs per season, one of the few guys who could actually extend an At Bat and win during a tough battle with a pitcher, key hits, and if it wasn't for Santander then the Orioles would have lost several more games than they did. Santander's timely hits/home runs won them a few games.

You can Box Score Bobby his stat line, but there are some thing just pulling up the box score doesn't show you. He's been pretty under rated as a fielder in RF at Camden Yards too. It's obvious he knows the dimensions with the grounds crew garage better than any active player right now. He's certainly a much better fielder and hitter than Kjerstad is. Kjerstad could become just as good of a hitter but how long is that going to take, and how many runs will it cost the Orioles because he's not that good on defense?

Always means he's hit 100 once and 90 once.

His 162 game average is 94 but he plays around 150.