Washington Will Take Strasburg

per rotoworld:

The Nationals will draft blue-chip pitching prospect Stephen Strasburg, according to former GM Jim Bowden.

"Washington is going to draft Strasburg. The decision has already been made. It was made when I was there," Bowden, who resigned from the post in early March, told ESPN 710 in a radio interview. While it isn't surprising given the San Diego State product's 100 mph arm. However, Strasburg and his agent are reportedly demanding a $50 million contract, which is about $40 million more than Mark Prior's rookie record contract in 2001. It's curious why Bowden would give away this information, should it be true. One thing is for sure - the Nationals could use help just about everywhere at this point.

50 million for an amateur pitcher? Is this for real? That's amazing.

Would you all give Strasburg 50 million if he fell to the Orioles? (I know he won't, but it's good discussion).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
per rotoworld:

50 million for an amateur pitcher? Is this for real? That's amazing.

Would you all give Strasburg 50 million if he fell to the Orioles? (I know he won't, but it's good discussion).

$50m is just a starting point. Boras always starts outrageously high and then comes down some to reality. I'd give him $30m and bring him straight up the bigs.

But like you said, there is no way he's falling to us at #5.

Nobody is giving him $50M. Or $30M.

He'll get about $12-15M at most, and won't sign until right before the August 15th deadline so we won't see him in the majors until next season.

He could step right in. If I invested that much money into him and he is already ready to be a major league starter, I stick him right into the rotation. He needs no more developement, his fastball is already the best in the majors and his slider is the best in the draft class. He could be a successful 2 pitch pitcher. If he did get promoted to the bigs right after signing in August, Im not gonna lie, Id be at his first game in Washington.

According to today's Post-Gazette, the Pirates are supposed to be willing to draft Strasburg. One official said there is no way Strasburg will be available at pick 5, which means they will take him if he is still available at 4.

Considering they backed off on Weiters because of Boras' contract demands, I don't see any way they would take Strasburg. Their thinking is that Boras throws out contract numbers in the hopes that he can get some "undesirable" teams to pass on his guy. I can't see that the Pirates would be a team he would want to steer Strasburg to. And after the problems they had last year with the Alvarez negotiations and signing, I don't see why the Pirates would potentially want to go through that again with Boras.

The article did say the Pirates are looking at college pitchers and high school position players.

According to today's Post-Gazette, the Pirates are supposed to be willing to draft Strasburg. One official said there is no way Strasburg will be available at pick 5, which means they will take him if he is still available at 4.

Considering they backed off on Weiters because of Boras' contract demands, I don't see any way they would take Strasburg. Their thinking is that Boras throws out contract numbers in the hopes that he can get some "undesirable" teams to pass on his guy. I can't see that the Pirates would be a team he would want to steer Strasburg to. And after the problems they had last year with the Alvarez negotiations and signing, I don't see why the Pirates would potentially want to go through that again with Boras.

The article did say the Pirates are looking at college pitchers and high school position players.

They have a different set of people in charge of the draft now. They don't seem to be shying away from top talent because of price.

Honestly, the best chance for us to get Strasburg is to hope he doesn't sign with whomever picks him this season, and then lose enough to get the number 1 draft pick for next year. But that's not going to happen either.

Or, have him blow his arm out in the next week or so. I agree.

He could step right in. If I invested that much money into him and he is already ready to be a major league starter, I stick him right into the rotation. He needs no more developement, his fastball is already the best in the majors and his slider is the best in the draft class. He could be a successful 2 pitch pitcher. If he did get promoted to the bigs right after signing in August, Im not gonna lie, Id be at his first game in Washington.

I believe I read it yesterday, but the Nationals FO said the plan would be to draft Strasburg and then shut him down, as to not push his arm to far this season.

The Wieters comparison doesn't hold. As good as Matt was (easily the best player in his draft class), people are saying this Strasburg guy could end up being the best pitcher EVER. Lofty expectations to be sure, but if you're Washington, who is trying to win a fan-base, you absolutely cannot pass on a guy like this.

No, he won't get $50MM but I'd bet every dollar I own that he will set the record for a rookie deal.

The Wieters comparison doesn't hold. As good as Matt was (easily the best player in his draft class), people are saying this Strasburg guy could end up being the best pitcher EVER. Lofty expectations to be sure, but if you're Washington, who is trying to win a fan-base, you absolutely cannot pass on a guy like this.

No, he won't get $50MM but I'd bet every dollar I own that he will set the record for a rookie deal.

Except you've got to discount the upside by the seriously exaggerated risk factor. Wieters is more closely comparable to Strasburg discounted for risk.

• 2 weeks later...

This is classic :

Stephen Strasburg could conceivably go right to the big leagues if the Nationals can sign him quickly, and one director of scouting can relate. Eddie Bane, who serves in that role for the Angels, in 1973 became one of 20 players since the draft was instituted to be selected and go straight to the majors. Bane came right up out of Arizona State after going 40-4 with a 1.64 ERA for the Sun Devils.

In 2004, Bane negotiated with Scott Boras over another highly touted amateur, Jered Weaver, and of course, Boras advises Strasburg now. "When we drafted Jered Weaver," Bane told Kirk Kenny, "Scott [boras] sent a letter to the Angels explaining why he wanted all the money for Jered Weaver because he posted Prior's stats and Weaver's stats [as a comparison].

"I sent him a letter back and said, 'Here's my stats. I was better than both those guys, but I won seven games in the big leagues.' "We're certainly looking for more wins than that."

Archived