if we want to take a pitcher we should take a college pitcher so they could make it to the majors sooner.

With Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz all just about ready, I'd actually rather take one of the big HS arms if they rate out at that talent level so we can start working on another wave of big time SP to come through when this waive is hitting Arb/FA. That is how you compete long term, and most teams do it by hitting on HS pitchers later in the draft and developing them over time, but since we have sucked in that area lately adding a blue chipper high in the draft couldn't hurt anything.

That is if Ackley isn't there which he probably won't be. I'm a bigger fan of Matzek over Purke, but it's close. I am not a fan of Tate at all, for reasons I have debated ad nauseum recently.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz all just about ready, I'd actually rather take one of the big HS arms if they rate out at that talent level so we can start working on another wave of big time SP to come through when this waive is hitting Arb/FA.

I can see that. It'd be nice to compliment Arrieta, Matusz and Tillman with Bundy, Britton and Matzek/Purke a few seasons later. :D

I can see that. It'd be nice to compliment Arrieta, Matusz and Tillman with Bundy, Britton and Matzek/Purke a few seasons later. :D

Matzek is pretty polished. I think he might move more quickly than the typical HS prospect.

I wasnt as big into the draft last year as I am this year, so i have a question.... Is it a known thing when one of the draft prospects comes to a work out in Bmore? Were we aware that the O's were choosing Matusz last year?

I wasnt as big into the draft last year as I am this year, so i have a question.... Is it a known thing when one of the draft prospects comes to a work out in Bmore? Were we aware that the O's were choosing Matusz last year?

Visits are incredibly rare. Almost unheard of.

Matusz was the name coming out of the rumor mill. We were all fairly certain he was to be selected. This year . . . I have yet to hear much substance coming out of the warehouse.

Reading the lay . . . I would not be surprised if it is one of these six: Matzek, Ackley, Green, Crow, Scheppers, Gibson. There just is not a lot of distance between these guys.

Matusz was the name coming out of the rumor mill. We were all fairly certain he was to be selected. This year . . . I have yet to hear much substance coming out of the warehouse.

Reading the lay . . . I would not be surprised if it is one of these six: Matzek, Ackley, Green, Crow, Scheppers, Gibson. There just is not a lot of distance between these guys.

Craw check sun PM and gmail.

I really hope we do not take Gibson of all the guys u mentioned, but he kinda for some reason reminds me of Tillman. I think its his stature and the idea that pople think he may add some more velo as he fills out, as some have said Tillman still may do. I think we will go with Schepper, Crow or Matzek depending on who is available.

If we don't draft a slugging first baseman I don't see how we can win...

Snyder is almost exclusively working at first right now; unless the O's are really, really low on his defense, then we'd be better to go with a SS or 3B or 2B if drafting for need as Snyder isn't too far off, and resigning Huff would secure the position for an additional 2-3 years.

Snyder is almost exclusively working at first right now; unless the O's are really, really low on his defense, then we'd be better to go with a SS or 3B or 2B if drafting for need as Snyder isn't too far off, and resigning Huff would secure the position for an additional 2-3 years.

PaulBako and Moose Milligan are just teasing JTrea81 about his Smoak obsession. :D

I figure they're hoping Ackley is there - gotsta figure he'll be the pick if he is... there. If Crow is the pick, I'll be very upset. I'd be fine with Scheppers, but if there's any little question about his health - no way they take him. I'm guessing the pick will be Matzek - as Ackley will be gone.

What's the farthest - within reason - that Green falls?

Gotta go BPA, imo. Things can always change at the ML level.

PaulBako and Moose Milligan are just teasing JTrea81 about his Smoak obsession. :D

So far it seems I am justified as Smoak could have been our first baseman next year and for years to come.

Matusz has been more dominant in his last few starts, so hopefully he can have a long healthy and productive career for the Orioles.

So far it seems I am justified as Smoak could have been our first baseman next year and for years to come.

Matusz has been more dominant in his last few starts, so hopefully he can have a long healthy and productive career for the Orioles.

So far it seems that Snyder could be our first basemen next season and for years to come.

Really, its time to get over the Smoak infatuation. I too really wanted Smoak last year, and I was quite frustrated with our selection for a few days. In the draft, its easy to sit back and say we should have taken so-and-so. Every team could look back and kick themselves and wonder why they didn't take this guy over that guy, but we got who we wanted and we got who we valued more.

And you're right, hopefully Matusz has a long and productive career, and I'll take him as a potential ace over a potential all-star 1B, because I also have faith in our own Brandon Snyder (who's number really aren't all that different from Smoak's.)

Archived