Considering the elite pitchers (i.e., Strasburg, White, Crow, Gibson Matzek, Purke, etc.), available and our high draft position, I'm really psyched about this year's draft. :clap3:

How long until we start to hear reports from our scouts? Also, when will some of these people be called to Camden Yards for tryouts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like us to stay away from Scheppers, Gibson, White and Crow and go with Matzek or Purke if Ackley isn't there.

if we want to take a pitcher we should take a college pitcher so they could make it to the majors sooner.

if we want to take a pitcher we should take a college pitcher so they could make it to the majors sooner.

Right now if we are drafting pitching, it isn't to make it to the majors right away as we have plenty of candidates for that, rather a pitcher that has the highest ceiling and is the best bet to stay healthy.

That is not the definition of a college pitcher.

Right now if we are drafting pitching, it isn't to make it to the majors right away as we have plenty of candidates for that, rather a pitcher that has the highest ceiling and is the best bet to stay healthy.

That is not the definition of a college pitcher.

We need to stockpile on pitching right now. Who knows if any of our minor league pitchers right now will succeed in the majors.

It puts us out of the running for the Obvious future stars, Strasburg and Ackley. It forces us to spend a ton of money on someone with more risk and less upside.

If we're going to finish in last all the time, we might as well at least lose enough games to finish in the first or second draft position!!!!

No way Strasburg or Ackley are there at #5.

Matzek would be most tempting to me (and he might not be around at 5 either!). If Scheppers throws 97 MPH in his next start that would certainly tempt me.

I think the best combination of upside, talent, athleticism, health, tools, that is worthy of #5 is Donovan Tate...

Poythress would make the nice right-handed power mashing first baseman we need, but I suppose Brandon Snyder may be our first baseman of the future....

It puts us out of the running for the Obvious future stars, Strasburg and Ackley. It forces us to spend a ton of money on someone with more risk and less upside.

If we're going to finish in last all the time, we might as well at least lose enough games to finish in the first or second draft position!!!!

No way Strasburg or Ackley are there at #5.

Matzek would be most tempting to me (and he might not be around at 5 either!). If Scheppers throws 97 MPH in his next start that would certainly tempt me.

I think the best combination of upside, talent, athleticism, health, tools, that is worthy of #5 is Donovan Tate...

Poythress would make the nice right-handed power mashing first baseman we need, but I suppose Brandon Snyder may be our first baseman of the future....

Poythress hasn't been as hot lately and has fallen out of the top 10 IMO.

Matzek or Purke will be there at #5 IMO. We'll probably get our pick.

Seattle is the key though. If they take Scheppers, Ackley could slip to us as SD and Pittsburgh will probably both take pitching.

Poythress is what he is, and I don't think he's been considered a top 10 talent by many (if any) MLB evaluators.

Tate seems like a top 10 guy -- question of whether or not you would like to pay him enough to buy him out from UNC, and what his family is saying to organizations close to the draft.

If UNC gives Ackley consistent time in the OF I think he's likely top 5 (agree with JTrea).

Poythress is what he is, and I don't think he's been considered a top 10 talent by many (if any) MLB evaluators.

Tate seems like a top 10 guy -- question of whether or not you would like to pay him enough to buy him out from UNC, and what his family is saying to organizations close to the draft.

If UNC gives Ackley consistent time in the OF I think he's likely top 5 (agree with JTrea).

I figure just a couple looks could get some team convinced he could be more than a 1B.

I figure just a couple looks could get some team convinced he could be more than a 1B.

I agree. I should have been more clear (sorry). Ackley is probably top 5 on everyone's board with an indication of future OF ability (workouts or in game). He is almost certainly top 5 if that time in the OF is consistent or over the course of a larger number of innings/games than he has gotten thus far.

Archived