7th round selection: Aaron Wirsh, LHP, El Toro HS

He profiles as a "grab him before he breaks out" kind of pick. Projectable, but not spectacular, yet. Room to add velocity and has the makings of three quality pitches down the line. I don't see him as a quick mover, but he's the type of arm you put in the system and say "I remember this kid" when he starts posting impressive A-ball numbers in three years. I'm curious how high his stock raised during April/May, as he was generally seen as a later-round pick pre-season. I know his velocity ticked-up from mid-80s to upper-80s (touching low-90s). Something you'd expect as he grows into his frame and gains more body control.

This is the kind of pick I like to see us make. Also it is why I like the HS picks in the later rounds. You notice(Not preaching to you Stotle, but more to the rest of the folk on here) that there are a lot of good pitchers who end up being drafted not necessarily even in the top 10. This is the exact reason why. Beal was picked much later in last year's draft though has a similar bio, Stotle, would you consider Wirsh a better prospect?(comparing Beal at the time he was drafated to Wrish at the time he was drafted)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the kind of pick I like to see us make. Also it is why I like the HS picks in the later rounds. You notice(Not preaching to you Stotle, but more to the rest of the folk on here) that there are a lot of good pitchers who end up being drafted not necessarily even in the top 10. This is the exact reason why. Beal was picked much later in last year's draft though has a similar bio, Stotle, would you consider Wirsh a better prospect?(comparing Beal at the time he was drafated to Wrish at the time he was drafted)

I'm not a huge Wirsch guy (in the first 10 rounds), simply because I like to see a little more "finished product" than projection for someone his size/age. I think there were safer picks, but that's a personal preference not a critique -- as I've said, Jordan needs to draft his guys.

Archived