Arrieta and Patton to Norfolk?

ChrisRayRules

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can you play for the Carolina League All-Star team if you're not a member of the Carolina League? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the snide comment and eye rolls. That is helpful.;)

If an MLB player makes the all star game and is afterwards sent down for some reason and is part of the international league instead of MLB is he not eligible for the MLB all star game?

With Matusz, he would be part of the league up until a couple of weeks before the all star game. I don't think it would be unreasonable to allow him to play in the Carolina League all star game (an appearance he earned while playing in the Carolina league), even if he was promoted a couple of weeks before the actual game.:scratchchinhmm:

Thanks for the snide comment and eye rolls. That is helpful.;)

If an MLB player makes the all star game and is afterwards sent down for some reason and is part of the international league instead of MLB is he not eligible for the MLB all star game?

With Matusz, he would be part of the league up until a couple of weeks before the all star game. I don't think it would be unreasonable to allow him to play in the Carolina League all star game (an appearance he earned while playing in the Carolina league), even if he was promoted a couple of weeks before the actual game.:scratchchinhmm:

The game is in 12 days, I believe. I think it's highly likely they just leave Matusz in Frederick until then.

Last year, the Akron Aeros promoted one of their pitchers to AAA for a good chunk of the season, then sent him back to AA just before the AA playoffs began. He started one of the games against Bowie, and of course they also had Travis Hafner play in the playoff games as part of his rehab assignment. Both moves struck me as bush league. But certainly, we could promote Matusz to Bowie, have him make 2 starts, and then demote him just in time to pitch in the all star game. To me that's less offensive than what Akron did. But I don't think the O's will do that.

It'll be interesting to see what the radar gun in Norfolk is saying about Patton.

I'll be more interested to see what opposing batters are saying. If he has success in Norfolk similar to Bowie I'll be pretty unconcerned about the radar gun.

If Bowie sends Livingston down, sends Waters to the bullpen as their only LHP, and keeps Pauley in the rotation, they still have 13 pitchers as I count them. I still think it's possible we see Liz go down to start in AA. A bit under the radar, but Liz has been getting a new identity as a strike thrower. He's been throwing a high percentage of strikes and walking a lot less guys. He's gotten hit around a little but it might be interesting to see what he does down at Bowie with his new approach.
At his age, in AA, sending him down to AA makes little sense.

He is destined for the pen..It has been obvious for a few years.

Put him in the pen and hopefully his new found command will carry over to the pen and he can be a dominant back of the pen arm.

He is way behind several guys in terms of the rotation, so put him in a position where he can help us the quickest.

I agree to a point. Velocity isn't everything. However, when Patton was a hot prospect in his Astros days he supposedly had his four seamer between 90-94 and his two seamer in the high 80's. Even if Patton does well in AAA, I'd feel a lot better about his chances in the majors if his readings were 89-92 than if they are 86-89.

This is my position as well. I don't question Patton's pitchability or general ability to keep minor league hitters off balance. I question whether he has that extra "stuff" necessary to get major league hitters out. His velocity will be a strong indicator of whether he's all the way back.

The game is in 12 days, I believe. I think it's highly likely they just leave Matusz in Frederick until then.

Last year, the Akron Aeros promoted one of their pitchers to AAA for a good chunk of the season, then sent him back to AA just before the AA playoffs began. He started one of the games against Bowie, and of course they also had Travis Hafner play in the playoff games as part of his rehab assignment. Both moves struck me as bush league. But certainly, we could promote Matusz to Bowie, have him make 2 starts, and then demote him just in time to pitch in the all star game. To me that's less offensive than what Akron did. But I don't think the O's will do that.

I guess my point is that it is a strange rule (if it is a rule) that he should even need to be demoted back to A+ from AA in order to participate. If he was in A+ long enough to be selected to its all star game then he should be able to play in it even if he is promoted before the game occurs.

You are right though that it won't make a difference to just leave him there for another 3 starts to appease what to me is a silly rule (if it is a rule).

I agree to a point. Velocity isn't everything. However, when Patton was a hot prospect in his Astros days he supposedly had his four seamer between 90-94 and his two seamer in the high 80's. Even if Patton does well in AAA, I'd feel a lot better about his chances in the majors if his readings were 89-92 than if they are 86-89.

What we don't know is how much movement he had throwing faster.

We also don't know how accurate all of these velocity reports are. I mean, think about the Hobgood reports; most scouts had him in the very low 90's and Jordan goes on to say they have him up around 94 even 96. Who is right?

Agreed. However, if my choice is (1) he pitches to a 1.99 ERA in Norfolk and the radar gun proves he's only topping out in the high 80's, or (2) he pitches to a 4.00 ERA in Norfolk and the radar gun proves that he's really topping out at 91-92 mph, I'd take scenario (1) as the one that gives me more comfort that he can have some success in the majors.

Archived