O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

I understand what he is saying, but I also understand that this is the type of information, or discussion, that may upset Angelos. It may seem harmless to us, but we are not the ones making the decision to negotiate with this guy.

Yeah, I'm sure he isn't qualified to make that decision... needs to come on a message board to learn how to do his job.

Cause we're the real experts, huh?

Sheesh...

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Reading between the lines - I feel like the fact that Rob is even here indicates that there is serious interest from the O's.

I like the idea of signing Sano more than ever now!

I just had a Yankee first baseman flash back.

Liquid, thanks for all the info on Sano. I saw globalpost's Dominican Dreams, Part 2 on Sano and he seems like a great kid that any team would be fortunate to have. Anyways, my question is: how would you compare Sano as a prospect to US phenom Bryce Harper? Both guys are the same age and seem very good.

Liquid's scouting projections would make him better than basically anyone in baseball (save for one or two players). Smething like .300-330/45-50+HR with among the best arm strength in the game and good speed for a 3B. He didn't comment on his fielding. You can decide for yourself how useful that appraisal is coming from the man trying to get Sano as much money as possible.

Not questioning his integrity -- just pointing out that it was quite a projection and when it comes to amateurs I always like to note the source providing the grades.

I've seen some video of Sano and think he looks very good. I haven't seen nearly enough to make a claim like "He can be the best player in the game."

If you are his agent, and knowing that Angelos is known for hating to see that information is getting out about his plans with the team, are you worried about him getting wind of your posting on this board and backing out as a potential suitor for Sano?

If PGA and the Orioles back out because an agent communicates with fans on a message board about the qualities, both personal and competitively then we have made zero progress. The gentleman is talking about the young man and not finances. That seems okay to me.

Guest BrettMeister86
PENN STATE!

Good to see some other Penn State fans on the board. A lot of these people must be sick of us bringing all of the Maryland players up north.

Well its funny because I'm Baltimore born and bred so I LOVE the Orioles and LOVE my Ravens, love em to death, but I went to school at Penn State. Well Penn State is Steelers and Eagles territory so its weird cheering with a section of fans for my college team that I know I will hate with every fiber of my being the very next day (I'm lookin at you Steelers fans - they always do have something a little "Hills-Have-Eyes-esque" about them, weird looking people). But yeah Penn State dominates Maryland as far as recruiting but its just a more desirable place to play with better competition more recognition, tradition, etc.

WE ARE!

Liquid's scouting projections would make him better than basically anyone in baseball (save for one or two players). Smething like .300-330/45-50+HR with among the best arm strength in the game and good speed for a 3B. He didn't comment on his fielding. You can decide for yourself how useful that appraisal is coming from the man trying to get Sano as much money as possible.

Not questioning his integrity -- just pointing out that it was quite a projection and when it comes to amateurs I always like to note the source providing the grades.

I've seen some video of Sano and think he looks very good. I haven't seen nearly enough to make a claim like "He can be the best player in the game."

These were scouts from baseball giving me these comps and projections not me. You can believe me or not. I don't really care.

I also have never seen Bryce Harper so I could not compare the two.

Guest BrettMeister86

Man this makes me realize how hostile this board is. Here is someone, a true insider in and out, granted he isn't our beloved 3 but so far he hasn't been kicked and hes made plenty of posts now to check out. Why do we have to pounce on people? And why are we saying "well I haven't seen anything to suggest he is the best" you have the kid's agent here and yet you're going to give a scouting report? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Just let it ride, appreciate the unique opportunity to add a new insider to the board who I'm sure will be an active member if the accusations and questions of professionalism stop. So everyone just chill, appreciate it and get some interesting information from a unique source.

Can anyone provide a good place to see some footage of Sano?

These were scouts from baseball giving me these comps and projections not me. You can believe me or not. I don't really care.

Hey liquid,

Thanks for stopping by the Hangout. In the Baltimore Sun article on the O's interest in Sano, you made some nice comments about the prospects coming through the O's system, particularly the pitching, and how Sano would fit in well with all the young talent. It's nice hearing industry professionals from outside the O's and thier immediate fanbase take note of the direction of the franchise. Hopefully, your client will become part of that talent base.

Look, this is a very critical and analytical board so sometimes the questioning can get too harsh. But we've been burned by false or misleading insider information many times before so please excuse a little caution, and even cynicism. Most people here will gladly accept any insight you can provide, and most of the skeptics (including myself) will come around over time.

Thanks for dropping in. You have provided good information about your young client. Nothing more, and nothing less. One question sort of off topic. Are the Orioles becoming more recognizable to the young players due to their increased prescence in the area? Thanks again for your interest and the info.

As I said, I don't have an opinion as I haven't seen him play enough. I'd hope anyone is free to believe you or not, but I appreciate the clarification. I'd also hope as an advocate and UVA grad you'd understand the point I was trying to get across. It's pretty straight forward, right? Then again, what do I know, I'm a lowly Northwestern Law guy.

To clarify, I was simply reminding people to take source into account. Not everyone lives in the world of scout speak and player projection, so you can have someone quoted as saying one thing and a week later the entire board is saying something like "Tyler Matzek is now sitting in the upper-90s with his fastball" and treating it like fact. It's great you can quote those grades from scouts -- I was trying to avoid every Sano discussion being marred by "This kid is going to be the greatest player of all time" comments based off of a statement from the player's agent. Again, this seems like a pretty straight forward point and would hope it doesn't offend you.

I think it's interesting to hear your perspective; it's great you're representing such a talented kid. If you took what I said as an afront (I'd really hope that's not the case...), it wasn't intended to be.

Rob, if you would indulge me in one more. What about a comparison between Sano and Wilmer Flores (signed for 750K)?

As I said, I don't have an opinion as I haven't seen him play enough. I'd hope anyone is free to believe you or not, but I appreciate the clarification. I'd also hope as an advocate and UVA grad you'd understand the point I was trying to get across. It's pretty straight forward, right? Then again, what do I know, I'm a lowly Northwestern Law guy.

To clarify, I was simply reminding people to take source into account. Not everyone lives in the world of scout speak and player projection, so you can have someone quoted as saying one thing and a week later the entire board is saying something like "Tyler Matzek is now sitting in the upper-90s with his fastball" and treating it like fact. It's great you can quote those grades from scouts -- I was trying to avoid every Sano discussion being marred by "This kid is going to be the greatest player of all time" comments based off of a statement from the player's agent. Again, this seems like a pretty straight forward point and would hope it doesn't offend you.

I think it's interesting to hear your perspective; it's great you're representing such a talented kid. If you took what I said as an afront (I'd really hope that's not the case...), it wasn't intended to be.

Seriously, man. That's not even the best law school in Chicago. ;)

It should be obvious to anyone that there's going to be bias (intended or unintended) in the descriptions offered by someone w/ financial interest. No big deal. Objective distance and a healthy skepticism could do wonders for most of us.

Archived