Mychal Givens speaks

I've watched him play. No question about his agility, athleticism, arm, and speed. I think he can become a great shortstop. The problem is his bat.

Hopefully, our hitting instructors can work with him on his swing mechanics and pitch recognition. But our organization seems to have difficulty refining our hitters approach. Wieters and Markakis had the natural ability to hit. I'm not sure we've taken a raw project and imbued him with hitting ability.

Well, Adam Jones has improcved his discipline at the big league level. In the minors, Snyder has improved, Avery has imrpoved as well......

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. It goes for the first five rounds.

It does? I have never heard that rule. Can you point it out to me in the rule book?

EDIT: You are right:

MLB Draft

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks. For compensation for not signing a third round pick, teams would get a pick in a supplemental round between the third and fourth rounds. If a team fails to sign a player with one of these compensated picks, there is no compensation the following year.

From what I've seen, he's more advanced than either.

I doubt that, Hoes had a very advanced approach for a prep kid. If Givens is more advanced than either, then there should be no questions about his bat and if it will translate over. What are some good comps/examples of HS kids who had questions about whether or not their bat would play in the pros and ended up being successful? .......

For the rest of us, can you please provide what you expect Hobgood and Givens to receive?

I expect Hobgood to be around $2.5M and Givens to be closer to $1M. I would be surprised if Given received within $1M of Hobgood.

Agreed. There is no way Givens even sniffs what Hobgood gets. Which leads us to the more important question... what is JTrea sniffing??? :bs:

How good is this kid anyways?? Should we be obsessing over him and hand him a million dollar contract if (a) his hitting is suspect and (b) he's a one pitch pitcher?? Seems like the money can be better spent with our other draft picks and next year we collect two #2s. Just my two cents:)

How good is this kid anyways?? Should we be obsessing over him and hand him a million dollar contract if (a) his hitting is suspect and (b) he's a one pitch pitcher?? Seems like the money can be better spent with our other draft picks and next year we collect two #2s. Just my two cents:)

I know if we don't sign our 1st round we get another pick next year. But is the same for the 2nd round? If so where does that actually stop. You don't get 2 47th rounds next year if this year's doesn't sign. Or am I wrong?

I know if we don't sign our 1st round we get another pick next year. But is the same for the 2nd round? If so where does that actually stop. You don't get 2 47th rounds next year if this year's doesn't sign. Or am I wrong?

First two rounds you get pick one behind the pick you had last year (so BAL would get 2:6 next year, provided the four teams ahead of them signed their second round pick). After that, I believe you get a pick at the end of the round (so BAL would get 3:31, 4:31, 5:31, etc.). I believe after the 5th you do not get a comp pick.

Anyone feel free to correct. I didn't feel like looking it up. :)

First two rounds you get pick one behind the pick you had last year (so BAL would get 2:6 next year, provided the four teams ahead of them signed their second round pick). After that, I believe you get a pick at the end of the round (so BAL would get 3:31, 4:31, 5:31, etc.). I believe after the 5th you do not get a comp pick.

So if we don't sign him are their going to be conspiracy threads created? In regards to we didn't really like anybody at this pick and wanted the pick next year? We are using his money to go overslot with others, etc? I am answering my own question by saying no to both, but I could be wrong.

As always, thanks again Stotle for your answer.:)

So if we don't sign him are their going to be conspiracy threads created? In regards to we didn't really like anybody at this pick and wanted the pick next year? We are using his money to go overslot with others, etc? I am answering my own question by saying no to both, but I could be wrong.

As always, thanks again Stotle for your answer.:)

I would hope not. Regardless of whether or not you agree with Givens being the best pick here, there were many quality players available, and it wouldn't be in Jordan's interest to punt picks. He makes his money by bringing in talent -- further, I believe some posted on here that signability would be a strong consideration for at least some of the picks.

That's not signability in a bad (cheap) way, but more that AM/Jordan seemed to want people they could get in the system quickly. I may be misremembering that last bit, so don't take this as gospel. Maybe someone else here remembers that discussion/post?

The team gets a draft pick immediately after their unsigned pick next year through the first two rounds. A team that fails to sign their third rd pick gets a sandwhich pick between third and fourth. After that I don't think you get compensation.

This is BA's write up of the new rules:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/262720.html

Teams that fail to sign a first-round pick no longer receive an extra pick after the first round as compensation, but instead a virtually identical pick the following year; for example, a team that fails to sign the No. 5 pick one year will receive the No. 6 pick the next, rather than one in the 30s or 40s. The same compensation also now exists for unsigned second-round picks, while a team that fails to sign a third-round pick will receive a sandwich pick between the third and fourth rounds.[/Quote]

I am always intrigued by the value of collecting extra picks in the ML draft. It isn't like the NFL or NBA draft. The first two rounds drafted in those sports are guaranteed to sign because of those sports salary structures and virtually guaranteed to be on the team roster and play. Baseball is totally different. I wonder what the number of first round picks actually make it to the bigs and are at least average ballplayers? I also wonder if the HS or college player is the better risk? It really is a crap shoot.

The team gets a draft pick immediately after their unsigned pick next year through the first two rounds. A team that fails to sign their third rd pick gets a sandwhich pick between third and fourth. After that I don't think you get compensation.

This is BA's write up of the new rules:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/262720.html

So subtract the 4th and 5th round and I had it. I knew Houston got a third supp comp, but couldn't remember if 4th and 5th rounds got similar comps.

Thanks.

So subtract the 4th and 5th round and I had it. I knew Houston got a third supp comp, but couldn't remember if 4th and 5th rounds got similar comps.

Thanks.

Yeah you were right with the exception of the 4th and 5th rounds I think. I haven't seen anything that said you don't get a compensation 4th or 5th rounder but I couldn't find anything that says you do either.

Yeah you were right with the exception of the 4th and 5th rounds I think. I haven't seen anything that said you don't get a compensation 4th or 5th rounder but I couldn't find anything that says you do either.

No, I am sure you are right. For some reason, I thought 1st five rounds were guaranteed. Thanks for the correction.

Avery got 900K last year and he had football & college as options. That 900K was well over slot too. I doubt very much that Givens even gets the 900K. I think he either signs for something close to slot or goes back into next year's draft pool. Either way, I bet he never takes a class at Oklahoma State.

Personally, I think that would be a mistake. I can't see him getting drafted higher than 2:5 next year out of JuCo. If he wants more than BAL is offering, I think he's better off refining his game a little at Okie State.

Archived