Mychal Givens speaks

Mychal Givens doesn't want anyone to misunderstand. He's not unhappy at all.

But he does admit, when the baseball First-Year Player Draft began on June 9th, he was surprised twice. First, that he was not drafted in round one and second that he was drafted by the Orioles.

"It was a little suprising it was the Orioles," Givens said. "But I'm glad they took me and one day I want to help them win the World Series.

"I was disappointed I fell (out of the first round). It is how it is."

Now comes the business part of the game, signing his first professional contract. Givens said that part could take some time.

"Right now we are taking it day by day. It's a slow process right now. We've just begun negotiating."

He has a verbal commitment to play college ball at Oklahoma State and said he has not completely ruled out playing at college.

"There is still a decision to make. It's not set 100 percent. I want to help my family financially. It looks like it may take some of the summer (to finish negotiations)."

Some scouts feel Givens defense and athleticism is solid, but question how much he will hit as a pro.

"Playing over the summer vs. top competition like Tyler Matzek, I held my own and gained confidence. I feel like I can make it with my bat and get to the big leagues in four or five years."

http://masnsports.com/2009/06/second-round-pick-suprised-it.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprised, probably not in a good way. This guy sounds like a tough sign as he'll want first round money, probably close to what Hobgood will get. I'd hate to have wasted a pick on him if that's the case...

Eh, worst case scenario, we get 2 second round draft picks next season. I can dig it. :clap3:

Surprised, probably not in a good way. This guy sounds like a tough sign as he'll want first round money, probably close to what Hobgood will get. I'd hate to have wasted a pick on him if that's the case...

I agree. If he does not sign that will be a big blow to the 2009 draft.

Givens won't get 2.5MM. He is probably looking for something around 1MM, while the Orioles are trying to stick to slot around 0.65MM. The gap will narrow.

Givens won't get 2.5MM. He is probably looking for something around 1MM, while the Orioles are trying to stick to slot around 0.65MM. The gap will narrow.

The part that seals the deal for me is where it says that he wants to help his family financially. This to me means that he will sign, its just price they need to come to terms on. As we say here at the car dealership, "Price? Price is the easiest part of my job!"

He'll be an O, and if his bat doesnt work then we have ourselves a pitcher with a plus fastball.....

I think he'll sign, but it's not clear he'll sign in time to get in a pretty complete season in 2009. I'd hate for him to waste 2009 in negotiations, which pretty much eliminates any chance of him starting with Delmarva in 2010.

I think he'll sign, but it's not clear he'll sign in time to get in a pretty complete season in 2009. I'd hate for him to waste 2009 in negotiations, which pretty much eliminates any chance of him starting with Delmarva in 2010.

Yeah, and the way it sounds, he needs as much time for development as possible. I wanna know how advanced his approach is at the plate. Im under the assumption that he is developmentally coming out of the draft in between where Hoes and Avery were, more advanced than Avery and less advanced than Hoes. As we have seen though, a guy with an advanced approach doesnt always perform better than one with a more raw approach....

Yeah, and the way it sounds, he needs as much time for development as possible. I wanna know how advanced his approach is at the plate. Im under the assumption that he is developmentally coming out of the draft in between where Hoes and Avery were, more advanced than Avery and less advanced than Hoes. As we have seen though, a guy with an advanced approach doesnt always perform better than one with a more raw approach....
From what I've seen, he's more advanced than either.

I've watched him play. No question about his agility, athleticism, arm, and speed. I think he can become a great shortstop. The problem is his bat.

Hopefully, our hitting instructors can work with him on his swing mechanics and pitch recognition. But our organization seems to have difficulty refining our hitters approach. Wieters and Markakis had the natural ability to hit. I'm not sure we've taken a raw project and imbued him with hitting ability.

For the rest of us, can you please provide what you expect Hobgood and Givens to receive?

I expect Hobgood to be around $2.5M and Givens to be closer to $1M. I would be surprised if Given received within $1M of Hobgood.

Archived