Who's your 2008 SS

bigbird

The O's need to take Brandon Wood for Tejada straight up, and just end this soap opera already.

There's your 2008 SS right there.

You realize that this so-called soap opera is mainly the product of messageboards like this one, where about 1% of fans probably visit regularly. We get into 84-page threads about Miguel Tejada's defense, while 95% of the folks at OPACY see a shortstop with a pretty decent glove, and a pretty big bat surrounded by a pretty crappy team. To them Luis Hernandez is an anonymous kid they called up to fill in during an injury who's already been forgotten.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned before that I would trade Gibbons straight up for Jack Wilson. Wilson makes a little more money (2-3M more, I believe) but they're both signed through '09 and Wilson is a more useful piece. If you wind up with someone better, make him a very expensive utility infielder.

EDIT: This probably doesn't happen now, though, with Gibbons's injury.

I've mentioned before that I would trade Gibbons straight up for Jack Wilson. Wilson makes a little more money (2-3M more, I believe) but they're both signed through '09 and Wilson is a more useful piece. If you wind up with someone better, make him a very expensive utility infielder.

EDIT: This probably doesn't happen now, though, with Gibbons's injury.

Makes sense, and the Pirates are known for alienating a player to the point where they have to trade him for junk. I think Wilson is just about there.

Maybe we could substitute Aubrey Huff now that Gibbons is hurt?

Makes sense, and the Pirates are known for alienating a player to the point where they have to trade him for junk. I think Wilson is just about there.

Maybe we could substitute Aubrey Huff now that Gibbons is hurt?

Great idea. I would think we could land Jack Wilson for Huff, and I am a Wilson fan. I don't know for sure, but are'nt we collecting insurance money for Gibby? If so, trading Huff for Wilson allows us to get off the hook with another guy who can't play baseball, although he can hit a little. I'd way rather have a baseball player like Wilson than a Huff/Gibbons type. We have way too many of them right now.

Great idea. I would think we could land Jack Wilson for Huff, and I am a Wilson fan. I don't know for sure, but are'nt we collecting insurance money for Gibby? If so, trading Huff for Wilson allows us to get off the hook with another guy who can't play baseball, although he can hit a little. I'd way rather have a baseball player like Wilson than a Huff/Gibbons type. We have way too many of them right now.
Doubtful that we're collecting any insurance money on Gibbons. Based on his injury history at the time he probably would have been vey expensive to insure, and I don't believe his injury is considered serious enough to even draw insurance money (unless he'll be out all of next season) if he does happen to be insured.

I don't know if it's a "horrible" idea, but there are definitely better combinations of good defense & adequate offense.

I think one definition of horrible is taking someone who has 75% of the qualifications of Eddy Garabito and convincing yourself that he's an asset worthy of 500 major league at bats.

I'd probably take Wood straight up, although the liklihood of him staying at SS is slim. I'd try to get another prospect as well, or shop Miggy around a bit more.

He was actually an above average defensive SS according to past scouting reports. The only reason the Angels moved him was to get him into the majors to play. He is blocked by Aybar and Cabrera at SS.

I think one definition of horrible is taking someone who has 75% of the qualifications of Eddy Garabito and convincing yourself that he's an asset worthy of 500 major league at bats.

Totally agree.

But if you're trading Tejada for something other than a shortstop you'd better be well prepared to pull a miracle outta your posterior for SS.

Unless you're trading Bedard, too.

You realize that this so-called soap opera is mainly the product of messageboards like this one, where about 1% of fans probably visit regularly. We get into 84-page threads about Miguel Tejada's defense, while 95% of the folks at OPACY see a shortstop with a pretty decent glove, and a pretty big bat surrounded by a pretty crappy team. To them Luis Hernandez is an anonymous kid they called up to fill in during an injury who's already been forgotten.

That's some pretty poor logic there Jon.

Just because the majority of O's fans are oblivious to it doesn't change the fact that Miggy's last few years in Baltimore have been turbulent and often disruptive for the clubhouse and FO.

I'm talking about the trade request and bashing of the FO for not getting the right players, the PED rumors, the decay in attitude/enthusiasm/leadership, cliques in the clubhouse, questions about his effort on the field (i.e. not always hustling).

The list is growing pretty long here, and it's not all stuff that's fabricated by that 1% on the lunatic fringe (although some of it is, like the defense stuff).

He was actually an above average defensive SS according to past scouting reports. The only reason the Angels moved him was to get him into the majors to play. He is blocked by Aybar and Cabrera at SS.
I would like to see those scouting reports.

Everything i have read said he isn't a good defensive SS at all.

That's some pretty poor logic there Jon.

Just because the majority of O's fans are oblivious to it doesn't change the fact that Miggy's last few years in Baltimore have been turbulent and often disruptive for the clubhouse and FO.

I'm talking about the trade request and bashing of the FO for not getting the right players, the PED rumors, the decay in attitude/enthusiasm/leadership, cliques in the clubhouse, questions about his effort on the field (i.e. not always hustling).

The list is growing pretty long here, and it's not all stuff that's fabricated by that 1% on the lunatic fringe (although some of it is, like the defense stuff).

I don't think anyone's questioning any of that. But he's still a very valuable, if declining, player. Trade him because his value will only go down from here, not because of the turmoil.

A lot of guys that develop into above average (or even great) defensive SS have poor, error-filled minor league resumes. Improvement comes with experience and repetition (and, some would argue, advancement to superior infield conditions). It's pretty common, actually.

The reports I've seen say that Wood has the skills and athleticism to be an above average defensive SS, so he'd be a prime candidate to follow this development path.

The comp I've heard more than once is none other than Cal Ripken, and he followed precisely the kind of development curve I'm describing -- .925 FP as a SS in the minors; .979 FP as a SS in the majors.

Wood had a .950 FP in the minors through 2005 (not seeing fielding data for 06 or 07).

Archived