Jeffress suspended 100 games

TakebackOPACY

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the 'Minors' section or the 'MLB' section since it is about a non-Oriole prospect.

Jeremy Jeffress, who is rated by many as the top pitching prospect in the Brewers system, has been suspended 100 games for a positive test of a 'drug of abuse' under the MiLB drug policy. He was previously suspended for 50 games reportedly for testing positive for marijuana. For legal reasons, the details of this test haven't been revealed yet. But his agent confirmed that it wasn't a 'performance enhancing drug' and implied that it was marijuana.

“All I’ll say is it was not a performance-enhancing drug. We all know the issue Jeremy has had in the past."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/49267777.html

This year, Baseball America had him ranked as the 4th best prospect in the Brewers' organization, the top pitcher in their system, and the 100th best prospect overall.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, this should get some of you fantasy trade hounds working overtime. The Brewers have a very highly respected farm system, but a glut of upper minor league pitching. The O's have a highly respected farm system but a glut of upper minor league position prospects. Hmm.

I heard the name and read his BA bio tonight in the book. He touches 100mph and has failed multiple tests. It's sad this guy might blow a promising a career to get high.

Just as sad that MLB actually test for weed.

Just as sad that MLB actually test for weed.

Without getting into a pro/anti legalization debate, I view the reason behind this suspension as a failure to live up to the professional standards that MLB and the Brewers organization represents. Fact of the matter is, marijuana is illegal, and he was caught multiple times doing an illegal activity. It's the same logic behind us cutting Ponson. It's just a lack of professionalism that the sport does not want to associate with. Without getting into whether or not I agree with the law, I will say that I agree that it should be punished by suspension based on a breach of the professional standards you accept when you join any organization.

Without getting into a pro/anti legalization debate, I view the reason behind this suspension as a failure to live up to the professional standards that MLB and the Brewers organization represents. Fact of the matter is, marijuana is illegal, and he was caught multiple times doing an illegal activity. It's the same logic behind us cutting Ponson. It's just a lack of professionalism that the sport does not want to associate with. Without getting into whether or not I agree with the law, I will say that I agree that it should be punished by suspension based on a breach of the professional standards you accept when you join any organization.

Was Ponson suspended by the league for drinking? Not that I know of.

How would you like it if your boss saw you after work speeding or running a red light and then decided to suspend you without pay because of it?

I agree with that sentiment 100%. He knew the rules when he signed the contract. He's definitely the idiot here, I just also think its stupid that they even bother to test for this, and suspend people for it but don't do a damn thing about players who get DUIs which is a far more heinous transgression.

Isn't it pretty damn easy to pass a marijuana test? Even if you're a habitual user?

I agree it shouldn't be a suspendable offense, but still he's an idiot for getting caught.

Weed actually last longer in the urine than most other drugs. Two weeks at least. Only way to actually beat a test is to drink an gallon of water in the two hours or so before you urinate.

It also tends to stay in your fat cells so if you are a little bigger than most you will come up posititive up to a month and a half.

Cocaine is gone in like three days. Pot actually isnt a good drug to risk taking if you are subjected to urine test.

Really I dont see the need to test for pot.

Imagine trying to hit a curveball baked? Not a pleasant idea. You would get so paranoid you would be sure it was gonna hit you right in the head. LOL.

Isn't it pretty damn easy to pass a marijuana test? Even if you're a habitual user?

I agree it shouldn't be a suspendable offense, but still he's an idiot for getting caught.

It is pretty easy, you can get those kits online. But you need several hours notice. If it's a surprise test you're screwed.

Sticking to MLB policy, major league players are not tested for marijuana... Under the MiLB policy, players are tested for 'drugs of abuse'. That is not the case for the union members.

Technically, Jeffress could be called up to the majors. He is not currently on their 40-man roster. I don't know if 40-man roster players who are still in the minors are tested for 'drugs of abuse' or not.

Archived