The benefits of a manager change...

NewMarketSean

Astros - team expected and built to contend for division title - goes .500 at the all-star break. THAT is justified.

Firing the manager of a team that was knowingly sacrificing wins this season in favor of development for contention in the future for not winning enough is not justified.

If they do go in another direction with the manager I would like them to go with a young guy, stat-minded, plays platoons, doesn't favor vets and despises the H&R.

Someone like Sports Guy possessed with the still living spirit of Earl Weaver.

In all seriousness, definitely not someone within the organization, and someone who can hire his own coaches.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they do go in another direction with the manager I would like them to go with a young guy, stat-minded, plays platoons, doesn't favor vets and despises the H&R.

In all seriousness, definitely not someone within the organization, and someone who can hire his own coaches.

Name someone in baseball today that has all of those characteristics.

Sounds kind of like Manny Acta.

LOL. My issue with Acta is whether he is too low key.

Whats funny is that here I am contemplating replacing DT with someone, and the manager I would replace him with probably has had 2 of the worst seasons back to back in modern baseball history.

But it is the talent, is it not?

I'd hire Acta.

Manny Acta.

As someone who don't follow the Nationals... why did 25 year old Elija Dukes lose his CF job to 31 year old Willie Harris in May, after Dukes put up a .855 OPS in April?

Looking at the gamelogs, Dukes May to May 17, started 10 games in CF. Harris, May 1 to May 17th, started 9 games in CF.

As someone who don't follow the Nationals... why did 25 year old Elija Dukes lose his CF job to 31 year old Willie Harris in May, after Dukes put up a .855 OPS in April?

Looking at the gamelogs, Dukes May to May 17, started 10 games in CF. Harris, May 1 to May 17th, started 9 games in CF.

I think he got hurt. He didn't play May 17 - June 2.

Whats funny is that here I am contemplating replacing DT with someone, and the manager I would replace him with probably has had 2 of the worst seasons back to back in modern baseball history.

But it is the talent, is it not?

I'd hire Acta.

But isn't the talent really the issue here, as well? FWIW, Tom Boswell was of the view that, while Acta had many positive qualities, he was a little too slow to anger and had trouble lighting a fire under his players when one was needed. I'd submit that those are some of the main criticisms of Trembley. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I do question whether we want to replace one low key guy with another low key guy, even if the second guy is a bit more stat-savvy and less inclined to use the hit & run, etc.

But isn't the talent really the issue here, as well? FWIW, Tom Boswell was of the view that, while Acta had many positive qualities, he was a little too slow to anger and had trouble lighting a fire under his players when one was needed. I'd submit that those are some of the main criticisms of Trembley. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I do question whether we want to replace one low key guy with another low key guy, even if the second guy is a bit more stat-savvy and less inclined to use the hit & run, etc.

Maybe we need a good cop, bad cop pair of co-managers. No one guy is ever going to be the right guy for 25 players.

How about Colorado since they fired Clint Hurdle at 18-28. Jim Tracy has gone 36-18:eek:
Man, if only I had used that example, people would have agreed with my thread!!!

Yeah because Colorado is similar to the Orioles.

Forget the fact that the Rockies are 2nd in the NL in runs scored and OPS, 5th in OPS+, 9th in ERA (4.26) and 6th in ERA+.

The Orioles on the other hand are 11th in the AL in runs scored, 10th in OPS, 9th in OPS+, 13th in ERA (4.95) and 12th in ERA+.

But yeah, they're basically the same situation. All that's missing is **** canning the manager.

Maybe we need a good cop, bad cop pair of co-managers. No one guy is ever going to be the right guy for 25 players.

OR

we could fill big holes at first and third and have a starting rotation that keeps their ERA around streetlevel as opposed to the lower stratosphere.

Give Trembley better pitching and at least fill one of the corner infield holes and a lot - A LOT - of this team's problems vanish.

Yeah because Colorado is similar to the Orioles.

Forget the fact that the Rockies are 2nd in the NL in runs scored and OPS, 5th in OPS+, 9th in ERA (4.26) and 6th in ERA+.

The Orioles on the other hand are 11th in the AL in runs scored, 10th in OPS, 9th in OPS+, 13th in ERA (4.95) and 12th in ERA+.

But yeah, they're basically the same situation. All that's missing is **** canning the manager.

I am just trying to avoid another collapse, and short of holding the players at gunpoint, I am pretty much up for anything.

Archived