Giants trade Alderson for Sanchez.

Scrat1

I think Alderson is overrated (and a lot of people do too) but Ithink this is a bad deal for the Giants.

He's usually the pitcher I settle on OOTP 10 when I fleece the Giants for Villalona and a pitcher. Usually I can pry Bumgarner too, but Alderson usually develops into a solid #2/3 guy.

All that aside, I'd assume this hurts our chances at a deal just a little bit, but maybe not.

All these moves is starting to make me rather impressed with Neal Huntington.

While he hasn't gotten any truly can't miss prospects in these deals, he has done some very impressive stocking of a weak farm system. Hopefully the Pirates can bounce back from the doldrums with the Orioles and we can see a '79 rematch someday.

I can't believe the Giants agreed to that.

I'm real impressed by Neal Huntington. Great job stockpiling talent.

I also thought it was funny that Gary Thorne and Buck Martinez were completely trashing the Pirates for all these moves. "Why would fans want to watch and players want to play for you if they know you're not going to keep your players. blah blah" Because they were doing so good with them...

I don't think the Pirates have gotten too many can't miss guys like you said, maybe Andy LaRoche and Alderson. But other than that...they've traded away an awful lot of guys for what they got. Considering they've traded their entire outfield and infield from 2008 and before, in addition to a starter, it's not a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke moved as well.

I work with two Pirates fans... they are bumming BIG TIME! I can't even name the whole list, but they both have said how they feel the Bucko's are just the Majors farm team. Every star they develop just gets traded away for more prospects.

Now I know... Pittsburgh has been this way since the days of Honus Wagner, "second division club", it's still sad tho... That one team just can't afford to keep the amazing players THEY have all the rights too. MLB is [messed up] sometimes... for a long time...

I work with two Pirates fans... they are bumming BIG TIME! I can't even name the whole list, but they both have said how they feel the Bucko's are just the Majors farm team. Every star they develop just gets traded away for more prospects.

Now I know... Pittsburgh has been this way since the days of Honus Wagner, "second division club", it's still sad tho... That one team just can't afford to keep the amazing players THEY have all the rights too. MLB is [messed up] sometimes... for a long time...

As you might imagine, this is a fairly common sentiment in these parts, too. Pirates fans ***** that the FO doesn't field a winner, then ***** all the louder when they ship out the players who've contributed to the not-winning.

As Kevin Goldstein at BP (and Huntington himself in yesterday's presser) acknowledged, it's not like they're breaking up the '84 Tigers or '27 Yankees in Pittsburgh — they're breaking up the Pirates, for god's sake. Wasting their limited resources on keeping mediocrities like Wilson, Sanchez, Snell, Ad LaRoche, Morgan, McLouth and Nady in Pirates uniforms would set them well upon the course to another 17 seasons of failure.

I work with two Pirates fans... they are bumming BIG TIME!

I've worked with a least a dozen Pitt natives over the past few years and everyone is a die-hard Steeler (and/or Penguin) fan...but only one admitted he followed the Pirates. Sad..

Archived