Some things I've heard

Some updates:

The O's are very close with ninth round pick RHP Ryan Berry out of Rice. In fact, this may already be done but just some final dotting of the I's and crossing of the T's need to be done.

Things are also looking good with 4th round selection RHP Randy Henry but nothing in the bag there yet.

On the other side, things are looking bleak with 2nd round pick Mychael Givens. Unless he has a change of heart or comes down off his first round pick asking price, look for the O's to collect their 2nd round compensation pick and use it next year's draft.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some updates:

The O's are very close with ninth round pick RHP Ryan Berry out of Rice. In fact, this may already be done but just some final dotting of the I's and crossing of the T's need to be done.

Things are also looking good with 4th round selection RHP Randy Henry but nothing in the bag there yet.

On the other side, things are looking bleak with 2nd round pick Mychael Givens. Unless he has a change of heart or comes down off his first round pick asking price, look for the O's to collect their 2nd round compensation pick and use it next year's draft.

Good news on Berry and Henry.

It's dissapointing to hear that about Givens, he has a lot of talent and I'd love to add him to the organization. Hopefully he wises up and realizes he's being given an incredible opportunity.

Good news on Berry and Henry.

It's dissapointing to hear that about Givens, he has a lot of talent and I'd love to add him to the organization. Hopefully he wises up and realizes he's being given an incredible opportunity.

I like Henry's upside, but am not impressed with Berry or Givens. Of course, the Orioles definitely have a lot more information on these guys than I do. It is a shame to have missed out on him with so many other good talents available at that pick. Maybe Givens' demands have increased, but it sounds about what they were.

Oh well.

These are the two guys I think it most important to sign from here.

After them, I am eager to see us put out $ for Ohlman.

It's only my gut feeling, but I get the opinion Givens is being poorly advised. Not sure why he was expecting first round $. If that was from his agent or from a team that said it would pay him the $ if they drafted him later on, but it really doesn't matter now. Slot is slot and, IMO, it is fairly obvious the who the first round talents are that slip into the second round and later - and Givens does not appear to be one of those. I am sure it is a big paradigm shift to go from expecting $1.25M+ to now be offered something like $700k, but it's the new reality for Givens. Hopefully, he and his agent "get it" in time to get in line.

These are the two guys I think it most important to sign from here.

After them, I am eager to see us put out $ for Ohlman.

It's only my gut feeling, but I get the opinion Givens is being poorly advised. Not sure why he was expecting first round $. If that was from his agent or from a team that said it would pay him the $ if they drafted him later on, but it really doesn't matter now. Slot is slot and, IMO, it is fairly obvious the who the first round talents are that slip into the second round and later - and Givens does not appear to be one of those. I am sure it is a big paradigm shift to go from expecting $1.25M+ to now be offered something like $700k, but it's the new reality for Givens. Hopefully, he and his agent "get it" in time to get in line.

Well, Givens expected to get 1st round money, when earlier this season before the start he was rated as a 1st rounder by many. So, even though he didnt perform like a 1st rounder this year, he thinks hes worth 1st round money, fine with me, Im ready to move on and sign someone else....

I agree that itd be important to sign both Berry and Henry(Henry is theone I wanna sign most), but I also really want Tolliver to sign. And also, Coffey would be an amzing pick up.

Thanks for the info.

I am a little surprised that the O's didn't have a handle on Givens's expectations before drafting him -- unless he has somehow changed his mind in the interim.

Has Max Stassi signed yet? He would've looked good here, but he probably wanted more than $700K, too.

This negotiation process has me wondering if there might be character concerns with Givens. As much as I'd hate to defer a second rounder to next year, it wouldn't kill me to not have Givens.

I would not go that far. He has not changed his demands based on what I have heard and he could go to JuCo.

This negotiation process has me wondering if there might be character concerns with Givens. As much as I'd hate to defer a second rounder to next year, it wouldn't kill me to not have Givens.

These guys only want what they believe is coming to them and is fair (and I certainly do not begrudge them for it). For months, Givens thought he was a first round talent and I am sure it is difficult to swallow otherwise. Ryan Adams had a similar experience and expected to be drafted higher and had several quotes acknowledging this disappointment.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2009/07/plants-mychal-givens-remains-unsigned-plans-to-know-future-with-orioles-soon.html

I found this article on Givens. The negotiating aspect seems very disappointing. IMO, Givens' agent is playing some negotiating game. At the end of the day, Givens might receive an extra $50k or $100k above slot, but probably not more $ than what Givens was going to receive all along had they been negotiating in good faith.

These guys only want what they believe is coming to them and is fair (and I certainly do not begrudge them for it). For months, Givens thought he was a first round talent and I am sure it is difficult to swallow otherwise. Ryan Adams had a similar experience and expected to be drafted higher and had several quotes acknowledging this disappointment.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2009/07/plants-mychal-givens-remains-unsigned-plans-to-know-future-with-orioles-soon.html

I found this article on Givens. The negotiating aspect seems very disappointing. IMO, Givens' agent is playing some negotiating game. At the end of the day, Givens might receive an extra $50k or $100k above slot, but probably not more $ than what Givens was going to receive all along had they been negotiating in good faith.

This quote from Jordan speaks volumes to me: We're going to make a good effort and if he doesn't sign, I'll be very disappointed,” Jordan told the paper. “But I'll get over it."

Honestly, after reading that Givens has not played any baseball all summer and as been just hanging out with friends tells a lot more about his desire to play than anything. This was a strange draft pick for me after I read up about this guy and honestly, if he doesn't sign, it might not be the worse things that happened to the Orioles.

This quote from Jordan speaks volumes to me: We're going to make a good effort and if he doesn't sign, I'll be very disappointed,” Jordan told the paper. “But I'll get over it."

Honestly, after reading that Givens has not played any baseball all summer and as been just hanging out with friends tells a lot more about his desire to play than anything. This was a strange draft pick for me after I read up about this guy and honestly, if he doesn't sign, it might not be the worse things that happened to the Orioles.

He wants to be paid like a top 30 guy in the country and he wastes his Summer like that?

I don't think it is entirely unusual that a player abstains from baseball between high school and college. It certainly is not the norm, but it is not incredibly unique for a high profile talent.

I think the main issue here though is that we gave up a 2nd round pick in exchange for a 2nd rounder with a year less of development. To me it seems like a misuse of resources. Maybe they were being led to a different conclusion in their discussions with Givens, maybe not. I do not know.

Now, I am not condemning Jordan here as he has done a great deal to improve the lot of our minors . . . but I think this goes down as a miss if he does not get the guy signed. If he is their guy, they better ink him. If he wasn't . . . then why draft him? This is something that is forgivable in later rounds, but a team should be playing for keeps in the top three or four rounds.

Archived