Some things I've heard

It's amazing that the Pirates signed Dodson, Von Rosenberg, and Cain. Despite the fact the Sanchez was a severe overdraft, I like him going forward, and overall I really like the Buc's draft.

And I agree with Hoosiers once again. At this point, I'd let Givens walk if he continues to believe that his value is higher than what it really should be. I would be in favor of landing Ohlman+one or two HS players+2010 2nd rounder over Givens. Of course that is contingent on be able to land a few guys like Bush, Ohlman, and maybe Coffey.

Should be interesting to follow this over the next 6 days. There's still about 5 or 6 guys that I'd love to have in the system, and hopefully we'll sign a couple of them. My top list includes Michael Ohlman, Garret Bush, Cameron Coffey (highly unlikely IMO), Kyle Hoppy, Matt Nadolski, and Tyler Naquin.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's amazing that the Pirates signed Dodson, Von Rosenberg, and Cain. Despite the fact the Sanchez was a severe overdraft, I like him going forward, and overall I really like the Buc's draft.

And I agree with Hoosiers once again. At this point, I'd let Givens walk if he continues to believe that his value is higher than what it really should be. I would be in favor of landing Ohlman+one or two HS players+2010 2nd rounder over Givens. Of course that is contingent on be able to land a few guys like Bush, Ohlman, and maybe Coffey.

Should be interesting to follow this over the next 6 days. There's still about 5 or 6 guys that I'd love to have in the system, and hopefully we'll sign a couple of them. My top list includes Michael Ohlman, Garret Bush, Cameron Coffey (highly unlikely IMO), Kyle Hoppy, Matt Nadolski, and Tyler Naquin.

I must say it's nice seeing another franchise that's been struggling a long time put together a better long term plan. Who know if it will work, but they definitely are full steam ahead.

Im really just hoping for Tolliver, Coffey and Bush now. Dont know much about Hoppy except he wants overslot, and same with Nadolski and Naquin.

I really think Coffey is going to make us sorry if we do not sign him....

So Where would Tolliver go to? Im guessing he and Henry both hit up Aberdeen.
I doubt they will pitch before a fall league if either even does that. They haven't pitched for months and it's gettin' late in the season.

I think the O's would rest their arms for the rest of the year and check them out in MiL spring training. The real question is 'who is the better prospect'?

Clapsaddle would also be a nice get.

BTW, the Givens non-signing could actually be real blessing by freeing up all his bonus money for a lot of guys who we never thought of having a chance on. When the draft was going on I was wondering why we were drafting all of those HS guys so late because we weren't going to sign them. Maybe there was a fall back position to their drafting methods.

I doubt they will pitch before a fall league if either even does that. They haven't pitched for months and it's gettin' late in the season.

I think the O's would rest their arms for the rest of the year and check them out in MiL spring training. The real question is 'who is the better prospect'?

According to BA Tolliver is the better prospect. But on the same token, your looking at Tolliver who had a fully healthy 09 campaign and Henry who was just returning from injury whose stock if anything was stagnating. Fromthe sounds of it, Henry has a tad bit better stuff, but we will see. Apparently there is concernt that Tolliver may be detined for the pen(Gee havent heard that one before)

So my guess like I said is Henry is the better prospect. Id like to honestly know between Henry, Tolliver, Coffey, Cowan, Wirsch, Bush and Martin in order best to worst prospect.

I just saw this on the Roch blog also:

Callis also hears that the Orioles could make a push to sign two of the following picks as the Aug. 17 deadline approaches: Catcher Michael Ohlman (11th round), pitcher Garrett Bush (15th) and left-hander Cameron Coffey (22nd).

I hope we get Bush and and Coffey, but if we could only nab 1 of em, Id say lets get Coffey. Ill bet that THIS is where Given's money is going. :) Im happy with it, I may be happy with the Givens pick if it was 4th round or later, but not round 2......

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1452

The Orioles and fifth-round pick Ashur Tolliver have agreed on a $200,000 bonus, pending the results of a physical today. MLB’s recommendation for Tolliver’s draft slot (146th overall) was $174,600. Tolliver’s bonus matches Daniel Tuttle’s (Reds, 149th overall) as the highest in the fifth round this year.

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/more-signing-info.html

Roch channeling Jim Callis.

Lotsa good info here!!!!!!

I like this part. If I had to pick 2 of those 3 it would be Ohlman and Coffey. Hopefully, all 3 can be had.

Callis also hears that the Orioles could make a push to sign two of the following picks as the Aug. 17 deadline approaches: Catcher Michael Ohlman (11th round), pitcher Garrett Bush (15th) and left-hander Cameron Coffey (22nd).

Clapsaddle would also be a nice get.

BTW, the Givens non-signing could actually be real blessing by freeing up all his bonus money for a lot of guys who we never thought of having a chance on. When the draft was going on I was wondering why we were drafting all of those HS guys so late because we weren't going to sign them. Maybe there was a fall back position to their drafting methods.

I agree, Id much rather take my chances on Coffey and Bush than just Givens. It IMO will make our draft a bit stronger.

I feel confident in saying that if you forget about the 1st round picks in both the 08 and 09 drafts, I like the 2009 draft more. In 08 we took some college kids and only a few arms, hardly any projectable HS arms. This year we took some quality HS JuCo and college arms with good ceilings and projection....

SWEET! That is what I needed to hear!

I like this part. If I had to pick 2 of those 3 it would be Ohlman and Coffey. Hopefully, all 3 can be had.

This is my exact thinking, everything is finally falling into place, we can now focus our attention to Coffey, Bush and Ohlman....

I cannot wait to see how some of these kids do in pro ball!

I hope we get Bush and and Coffey, but if we could only nab 1 of em, Id say lets get Coffey. Ill bet that THIS is where Given's money is going. :) Im happy with it, I may be happy with the Givens pick if it was 4th round or later, but not round 2......

Does mentioning these 3 guys mean Walters (17) is a definite no go?

Looks like JJ got everyone in the house that most were hoping for.

My hopes for this draft were that we would spend a handsome chunk on overslot signings after the fifth round relative to last year and the $1M or so we spent on Bundy, Beal and Drake.

We appear to have done that with Berry, Martin, Wirsh and others (not sure of amounts to Webb and the other Berry).

I think this is a good draft - no major overslot guys like the Red Sox just signed their 8th rounder for $750k, but we continue to move in the right direction, IMO, with the overslot $.

We'll see about Givens and whether we go after Coffey, Bush and Ohlman. Based upon what the Pirates are doing, it would be nice if we landed all four, though, admittedly, after the recent signing spree, IMO, any additional HS signings outside of Givens would be gravy.

Archived