What An Embarrassment

PrivateO

Watching games on tv is pretty much free or can be viewed for free on the internet, or for cable customers in the MD-area the MASN fee is already added into their bill.

Higher ratings are a show of support for the team.

Seaching out info on the team on the internet is free or should I say I highly doubt that people are getting their internet JUST to look up O's stats. Plus, Angelos doesn't get any money from internet companies.

Higher traffic is a show of support for the team.

So people can still support the O's without putting money in Angelos' pocket. I think that's the major thing, people are sick of giving the ambulance chaser money for a sub-par product.

Classy.

Also, the only O's gear I've purchased in a long time has been an Adam Jones jersey-tshirt I got at the O's/Sox wild-come-back 11-10 win and a older Cal Ripken jersey that was on-sale for like $10 in some Burlington Coat Factory in Greenbelt.

Congratulations on supporting the team and the owner you just said you wouldn't. Hypocrite.

As for paying for the right to post in discussions, that ain't happening for me.

Darn shame.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem supporting a bad product - I'm not one of those people who thinks Angelos is maniacally pocketing all the team's revenues and refusing to improve the team.

I do have a problem with being disrespected in my own park, and having nobody - not ushers, and not other fans - backing me up.

Capisce?

If its the other fans, than you should want to see more at the games. And if its the ushers, and you aren't complaining to their supervisors, that's on you.

"Capisce"

There's a bigger financial and especially emotional investment at a game than going out and buying a cap.

I can go to a game for less than the price of a cap, and if you can't that tells me you don't want to try. And how is the emotional investment any more than the overall one you take on supporting a team?

Higher ratings are a show of support for the team.

Higher traffic is a show of support for the team.

Classy.

Congratulations on supporting the team and the owner you just said you wouldn't. Hypocrite.

Darn shame.

What's it like on that soap box? The air nice and fresh? Not as much pollution?

Seriously, show me where I said I don't support the O's or where I said I'd never buy O's gear, that thus makes me a hypocrite? C'mon there has to be a post somewhere that says that.

I said people (I didn't say me, myself, I) can still support the O's without putting money in Angelos' pocket.

Yeah, it's so "unclassy" to call a lawyer an ambulance chaser because all lawyers have others best interests at heart.

I can go to a game for less than the price of a cap, and if you can't that tells me you don't want to try. And how is the emotional investment any more than the overall one you take on supporting a team?

That's you but how many people go to a game by themselves? How bout families? I'm not going to explain why going to a game requires more time, emotional, and financial investment. It seems pretty obvious to me or we wouldn't be discussing this at all.

By the way, for what it's worth, I go to nearly every series when they come to LA and I've never seen a winning game. I always get laughed out of the stadium because I'm wearing O's gear and I always go back. So I could care less but I could see why people wouldn't want to pay to go to a hostile environment in their own park.

That's you but how many people go to a game by themselves? How bout families? I'm not going to explain why going to a game requires more time, emotional, and financial investment. It seems pretty obvious to me or we wouldn't be discussing this at all.

By the way, for what it's worth, I go to nearly every series when they come to LA and I've never seen a winning game. I always get laughed out of the stadium because I'm wearing O's gear and I always go back.

It seems like that poster has his or her own agenda and/or is an Angelos-apologist.

I'm right with ya on the catching the O's whenever they're out here in So-Cal. Luckily I'm not laughed out of the stadium, but it's more like I'm pittied out of the stadium.

Fair point, and I did think of it as I typed. However, with all of the ticket discounts and promotions there are, and the fact that you can take your own food in, it isn't as expensive as most seem to believe.

By the way, for what it's worth, I go to nearly every series when they come to LA and I've never seen a winning game. I always get laughed out of the stadium because I'm wearing O's gear and I always go back. So I could care less but I could see why people wouldn't want to pay to go to a hostile environment in their own park.

Because the hostile environment comes from those fans not going. If people would go, the other fans wouldn't be able to get tickets.

And I'm glad to hear you go to the games out there. You don't seem to be one of the people who we are complaining about.

I would say that virtually no one on this site at this point is a fairweather fan. The fact that we still care enough to come onto this site and post after the past decade is the very opposite of fairweather fan.

I stopped going to as many games 5 or 6 years ago. I did so not because of the losing but moreso as I saw no reason to give my hard earned money to an organization and owner that was rudderless and incompetent. I am not into rewarding bad behavior. Call me fairweather if you like but I watch virtually every game on tv and have been a fan of this team thru thick and thin since 1982 (I was 10). I am much more willing to go to games now but I will most likely avoid Yankee and Red Sox games. Maybe 10 years ago when I was in my college years I would go to yell back at their fans but not now with a family. I would much rather go to a game where my family can enjoy not dealing with yahoos.

The reality of this argument is that out of the 40,000 fans that used to go to O's games, 90% of them were probably "casual fans" to start with. They went to have a good time and do the popular thing because they were winning. To me these fans are not the ones you will find on this site and thus calling us out as fairweather fans simply doesn't jive.

By saying that you won't go to a game (whether it be vs. BOS, NYY, or anyone) until the Orioles field a good product, I consider you a fair-weather fan. You are going to start supporting the team when they are good.

It's not really that hard to understand. You go to as many games as you can, whether they are against a good team or not. Don't be scared into hiding just because the big bad boys of the north are coming to town.

Unfortunatly, people are like this. I'll admit-- I was 3 years ago. Last year and this year I have tried as much as possible to get to games. I'd love to get to more. Fact of the matter is, I'm gonna be a fan of this team. I support those running it, and those playing for it.

I mean really? Someone started this thread trying almost decrying the lack of O's fans? I mean really?

If anyone is to blame it's the Owner who hasn't fielded a winner in over a decade. Winning puts butts in seats, plain and simple.

Maybe if the Owner and GM were interested in putting a winning (or atleast watchable) product on the field last season and this season, and maybe even next season, than more people would come out.

What a funny thread.

Were you at the game last night? I'm pretty sure if you were, you'd be kind of depressed at the lack of orange too.

And I'm really not going to get into the owner/GM thing. It's been beaten to death by pretty much anyone who has posted here, and it's really an excuse and argument from 4-5 years ago. Not now. We've seen changes.

Seriously, show me where I said I don't support the O's or where I said I'd never buy O's gear, that thus makes me a hypocrite? C'mon there has to be a post somewhere that says that.

I said people (I didn't say me, myself, I) can still support the O's without putting money in Angelos' pocket.

And you do realize that by buying O's clothing and Orioles' merchandise, you are putting money into Angelos' pocket, no matter what store you buy it at...

EDIT: 2131 posts. Kinda cool.

It seems like that poster has his or her own agenda and/or is an Angelos-apologist.

I'm right with ya on the catching the O's whenever they're out here in So-Cal. Luckily I'm not laughed out of the stadium, but it's more like I'm pittied out of the stadium.

This message is hidden because Hans Moleman is on your ignore list.

If its the other fans, than you should want to see more at the games. And if its the ushers, and you aren't complaining to their supervisors, that's on you.

"Capisce"

One time I complained to a supervisor because there was an usher in our section who was visably rooting for the Yankees, not to mention that when my one friend told his cousin that someone on the Yankee sucked, not loud enough to hear a few seats away, the usher threatened to kick him out. The supervisor acted like I was completely wasting his time and said the usher could root for whomever he chooses too and that my friend was not allowed to say suck. I don't care who the ushers root for when they are on their own couch, but for them to root for the opposing team at the park is rediculous.

One time I complained to a supervisor because there was an usher in our section who was visably rooting for the Yankees, not to mention that when my one friend told his cousin that someone on the Yankee sucked, not loud enough to hear a few seats away, the usher threatened to kick him out. The supervisor acted like I was completely wasting his time and said the usher could root for whomever he chooses too and that my friend was not allowed to say suck. I don't care who the ushers root for when they are on their own couch, but for them to root for the opposing team at the park is rediculous.

Then you should have gone to fan assistance and complained about both.

I know it's hard to believe, but the employees tend to dislike the same Yankee and Sox fans that the fans do; at the very least, they make more work for them. If you complain, someone will fix it.

I know it's hard to believe, but the employees tend to dislike the same Yankee and Sox fans that the fans do; at the very least, they make more work for them. If you complain, someone will fix it.

I suppose I could have, but on the other hand I wanted to watch the game and was not leaving my seat. The supervisor should have ben competant to begin with.

Nonsense. The team and the City want revenue. They will not do anything to tame opposing fans, lest they stop bringing their dollars to Baltimore.

I get that. But that also means they won't get my money on those days, and they'll routinely get embarrassed on Sports Center when people like Pettitte and Manny Ramirez get standing ovations at OPACY.

They obviously like the trade they've made.

Archived