What An Embarrassment

PrivateO

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have loved this team since 1970. I still love them

But I am utterly embarrassed to be a fan. That doesnt mean I will stop being one. But the way they collapse every single year and fold to the Yankees and Redsox----yeah, its beyond embarrassing.

Bottom line--you root for the TEAM no matter the players. And for the last 11 year the PLAYERS are quitters.

Pathetic.

I have no concept of how once can reconcile two concepts so opposing.

It's like someone saying that they are a Yankee fan and a Red Sox fan, or a Ravens fan and a Steelers fan, or a Duke fan and a Carolina fan.

I have no concept of how once can reconcile two concepts so opposing.

It's like someone saying that they are a Yankee fan and a Red Sox fan, or a Ravens fan and a Steelers fan, or a Duke fan and a Carolina fan.

Wrong. You root for the team, no matter the players. You either are an Oriole fan or you arent.

But for the last 11 years the players have embarrassed the FRANCHISE.

why cant we admit it? There has been a lot of talent on this team. Granted, not enough to win the division, but not as bad as they have played.

I once had a dream where I had to take a test, but when I walked into the classroom I was naked. Boy, was I embarrassed.

Now that we've each told stories with nothing to do with the discussion, would you like to get back to it?

I had a dream last night. I dreamt I was a dove flying over the sea. And then I dove into the ocean... And I swam with the dolphins. I was two animals joined as one... ...which meant - good things are coming. Good things.

Rep points to whomever guesses the movie that quote is from.

You may now re-engage into discussion about embarrassment and association, no matter how illogical it may be. ;)

I had a dream last night. I dreamt I was a dove flying over the sea. And then I dove into the ocean... And I swam with the dolphins. I was two animals joined as one... ...which meant - good things are coming. Good things.

You may now re-engage into discussion about embarrassment and association, no matter how illogical it may be. ;)

Man, I know I've heard that somewhere...

...Just googled it. Don't know why I've heard that since I don't think I've ever seen enough of that movie to have heard a line that long :laughlol:

I'm quite content watching the game from my couch while I have other things going on.

I don't see a reason yet to inconvenience myself to sit amongst Yankee fans.

I've had season tickets for 13 years. I let others use them or buy them as in the case of a couple of New Yorkers.

See, I don't blame you. At least you buy the tickets! That allows us to pay some salaries. It will be nice, however, when diehard fans like you are excited enough to go to games. I saw someone else on this board talking about having an O's fan section. I LOVE this idea. Band together - feed off each other.

The fans on this board who are lucky enough to be able to go to games... It would be very cool if we could come up with some kind of strategy... Buying up all the seats in one section every time and bringing air horns, signs - just go NUTSO when the Birds play the Y*&kees or Sox.

Maybe just make it along the first base line or something.

Embarrassment suggests something negative that you don't want to be associated with. Considering that calling yourself a fan implies the exact opposite, specifically associating yourself with something, that is an impossibility.

So, we don't have difference of opinion, but a difference of fact.

Haha, come on man, you're disagreeing simply to be disagreeable.

First of all, the point of my original post (which you completely disregarded) was that the "problem" with attendance has nothing to do with the quality or passion of the fans, it has to do with the performance of the team.

Secondly, your reasoning is flawed. It requires the assumption that one can never be associated with something if that thing embarrasses them - a claim which is not borne out by the "facts" of actual human behavior. Witness the child embarrassed by his parents, the fan embarrassed with his team, or the poster embarrassed that his bad mood got in the way of his making an effective argument.

The Love Guru.

You dove on a dove?

Grandma's Boy FTW!!!!!!

Kevin Nealon was just too funny in that movie, much like this thread ;)

I don't even disagree, I don't expect their fans to be quiet and reserved just because they are in Baltimore, and its foolish to think that way. What makes me angry is that I go to Orioles home game and its mostly Yankee fans, which I simply don't like on principle, its awful to sit at your home stadium and hear the majority of people cheering for the away team, and frankly its sad. I just can't wait until the O's are good so O's fans go to the game and we stop getting invaded from the north :angryfire: :cussing:

Sadly, even when we were good (1997-98), we had to put up with the same thing. However, I have personally yelled at Yankee fans who were being rude during games - one guy was calling Brady Anderson a homosexual, etc. Total jerk. There were kids around, and likely homosexuals too. Anyway, I think we need to accept that there are tons of Yankee fans living in Baltimore - and Sox fans, too. And they will always come to games.

They will never shut up. But then again, when Baltimore fans get going, they get going pretty good. We're freakin' Baltimore - we're a steel town. We make ships, and drink beer, and kick butt.

This is still the town of Earl Weaver, and Cal Ripken, and Eddie Murray and Wee Willie Keelor for cryingoutloud.

The ghost of Wild Bill WILL ride again my friends. It's going to happen, and it will happen spontaneously when the Birds start winning again... next year.

And it will come from inside - inside the organization, inside the stadium, inside all of us... after more than 10 years of suffering... and there will be a great healing as the Birds fans return to their spiritual nest.

And the Yankees and the Red Sox will lose more than they win in our hallowed Yard. And then we will smile knowing that Wild Bill is up there, looking down, and he will be happy when we take the Wild Card. And we shall sing: Hallelujah! ;)

Archived