Average Draft Investment Over the Past 4 Years

Below are the mean draft investments over the past 4 years . . . I don't have it normalized to slot as I can't find all of that info at the moment. These are also only the values for the top 10 rounds.

1. Boston 7.7MM average

2. Washington 7.4

3. KC 7.2

4. Pittsburgh 7.2

5. Baltimore 7.2

6. San Fran 6.8

7. San Diego 6.7

8. Detroit 6.6

9. NYY 6.6

10. Tampa 6.6

11. Arizona 6.3

12. Seattle 6

13. Milwaukee 6

14. Rockies 5.4

15. Texas 5.3

16. Atlanta 5.2

AVERAGE 5.1

17. Cleveland 5

18. Reds 4.9

19. Cards 4.9

20. Cubs 4.9

21. Oakland 4.7

22. Toronto 4.7

23. Phillies 4.6

24. Florida 4.4

25. Twins 4.3

26. Dodgers 4.1

27. New York Mets 3.7

28. Astros 3.7

29. Angels 3.7

30. ChiSox 3.5

Assuming the Nats spent 29.6 mill over these four year (4x7.4), their avg would be much much lower without Strassburgs record contract. Take away that 15 million and they've spent roughly 3.65m per year. This means the O's are tied for the second most spending over the past 4 years.

Probably would be more fair to cut the Strasburg investment in half as they would have obviously drafted someone else. Place them around 9th.

Also . . . no ties . . . I did not feel like carrying out all of the numbers.

Probably would be more fair to cut the Strasburg investment in half as they would have obviously drafted someone else. Place them around 9th.

Well if we take Wieters out, where are we?

The problem with this list is that it only takes into account the first ten rounds but it is usually after the tenth round that teams like the Red Sox spend much more than others.

The problem with this list is that it only takes into account the first ten rounds but it is usually after the tenth round that teams like the Red Sox spend much more than others.

This is certainly not the end all of all lists, nor is it meant to be. It does not take into account slot allowances or past the tenth round. So . . . eh.

Baltimore broke two records with their 11th and 20th round signings this year, each getting almost seven figures.

Somebody message this directly to JTrea. I'd like to see him spin this into a "The Orioles never spend money" response.

I think it's great that BAL is spending, but the fact that BOS is #1 on the list sort of knocks the knees out from under the position. Also, that's drafting at the bottom of the rounds and paying over a million less, on average, on their first round pick.

I didn't see if Craw took into account the number of picks teams had in the first 10 rounds.

Ahh yes that would probably be a better way to do it. And either way, we're top 5.

I think it's great that BAL is spending, but the fact that BOS is #1 on the list sort of knocks the knees out from under the position. Also, that's drafting at the bottom of the rounds and paying over a million less, on average, on their first round pick.

I didn't see if Craw took into account the number of picks teams had in the first 10 rounds.

Nope, not normalized for slot or picks. Pretty dirty list.

Looking at the list the only outliers appear to be Boston and NYYs. What I mean by that is if you attached the winning percentage (drafting slots position) to the average spent each year I bet it would look like a linear line of the worst record teams spent the most (higher costing draft picks each round) while the best winning percentage teams spent the least. Again except for the Yanks and Soxs. So unfortunately, it appears the Yanks and Soxs are still using all of the available resources to them to continue to improve including the draft. But at least the Orioles are sigining their draft picks and trying to make a competitive effort. I was surprised to see Tampa so low on the list. And finally, how would you like to be a Reds fan. Talk about not spending a lot of money vs. where you are in the draft order.

Looking at the list the only outliers appear to be Boston and NYYs. What I mean by that is if you attached the winning percentage (drafting slots position) to the average spent each year I bet it would look like a linear line of the worst record teams spent the most (higher costing draft picks each round) while the best winning percentage teams spent the least. Again except for the Yanks and Soxs. So unfortunately, it appears the Yanks and Soxs are still using all of the available resources to them to continue to improve including the draft. But at least the Orioles are sigining their draft picks and trying to make a competitive effort. I was surprised to see Tampa so low on the list. And finally, how would you like to be a Reds fan. Talk about not spending a lot of money vs. where you are in the draft order.

Yeah, but the Reds have a nice little core of ball players as well. Votto, Bruce, Cueto, B. Phillips, Volquez, Harrang...

I do hope that we continue to spend big even when we are winning. Its the only way to keep up. I really love the strategy that we used this year, but next year, rather than sign a cheap 1st rounder, I wouldnt mind to spend 6 mill on Taillon(dont know for sure his asking price but Im sure it wont be cheap)

I guess another thing worth considering is a lot of teams maybe wont spend as much on the draft due to international FA's. For example, the Rangers have one of the best systems, but a lot of their kids are international FA's. I was also surprised to see Atlanta so low, but I guess they spend some money on the international scene as well. I do know their player development is as good as it gets, but it was surprising to see both them so low.

Yeah, it really is not like that with respect to slotting. I don't have all of the data, but it would explain things a bit more. It probably is true that teams that are awful are more willing to invest in long term returns than teams who might want to use their money to maximize immediate return.

Archived