Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

This league is considered between AA-AAA?

If you were to try to classify it, that'd be correct. Most of the players in the AFL performed better than average at least at 'AA'.

The rule used to be that each team could send one player who wasn't a 'AA' or higher prospect. I don't think that changed despite the elimination of the Hawaii Winter League.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rule used to be that each team could send one player who wasn't a 'AA' or higher prospect. I don't think that changed despite the elimination of the Hawaii Winter League.

Wow, I'm sorry that this is the second one of the night, but I believe it did change this season, allowing two single A players rather than the one that's usually allowed. It's only for this season, though. Here's the original thread which contains some additional links. :):)

Wow, I'm sorry that this is the second one of the night, but I believe it did change this season, allowing two single A players rather than the one that's usually allowed. It's only for this season, though. Here's the original thread which contains some additional links. :):)

That's okay. Thanks for the correction! I qualified my post because I thought I remembered something about a change, but couldn't find anything to back that up. I should've known to dig through the Orioles Hangout instead of the rest of the World Wide Web!

So Erbe hasnt thrown yet?

Its great to hear our guys making the msot of their opportunities. I think last year, SNyder realyl proved to me he was the real deal coming out here outhitting everyone as one of the youngest on the taxi squad. IMO Waring could do that this year for me if he continues to hit. It is definitely answering the questions to those thinking his bat is too slow for the upper ranks....

So Erbe hasnt thrown yet?

Its great to hear our guys making the msot of their opportunities. I think last year, SNyder realyl proved to me he was the real deal coming out here outhitting everyone as one of the youngest on the taxi squad. IMO Waring could do that this year for me if he continues to hit. It is definitely answering the questions to those thinking his bat is too slow for the upper ranks....

Which part so far? The HR or the 3 SO? :)

I'm confused as to how the Orioles feel about Matt Angle. I don't think anyone considers him a prospect, and I haven't seen a single person throw out the idea that he's a potential major leaguer someday.

I think folks see him as a possible fourth OF/AAAA/Joey Gathright type.

I think folks see him as a possible fourth OF/AAAA/Joey Gathright type.

I think Juan Pierre was a comp. somebody used for Angle. Fast, covers a lot of ground in the field, no power, but could get on base about 1 in every 3 at bats. Athough Pierre gets on base more through slap-singles (doesn't really know how to take a walk), Angle would walk more, but not find a way to get as many hits. Still, the point is weak bat, great glove - useful 4th OF

Which part so far? The HR or the 3 SO? :)
Ahh, didnt realize he had 3 K's already, but thats what I expect to get out of him. If he can make it up here, hes gonna K a ton, but if he can make enough contact in the ML, he will hit some bombs....

To be fair to Waring, in AZRon's scouting report from the game, he said that the players were battling a seriously expansive strike zone, and his descriptions of Waring's ABs imply that he was one of the principle victims. I think it remains to be seen if his bat will continue to play going forward, but the 3 Ks in his first game might exaggerate our concerns a bit.

To be fair to Waring, in AZRon's scouting report from the game, he said that the players were battling a seriously expansive strike zone, and his descriptions of Waring's ABs imply that he was one of the principle victims. I think it remains to be seen if his bat will continue to play going forward, but the 3 Ks in his first game might exaggerate our concerns a bit.

I agree, and regardless, liek I said I expect him to K a lot as long as he can make contact hes gonna produce. I could see him being like a Adam Dunn-lite or Carlos Pena-lite. A bit lesser of an OBP and probably not as many HR's but depending on his contact rate, he could hit anywhere from 15-40 HRs. Id expect him to fall somewhere there in the middle.....25-30, if he shows the ability to keep hitting....

Archived