Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

Me too. Its funny how a few hundred unlucky ABs at Norfolk can make a group of people turn on a guy. IMO it actually means more than you think that hes lighting up the AFL. Its great for him to get his confidecne back up for one thing. Shoot, Im glad it gets my/our confidence in him back up as well. Hes a pure hitter and he has more pop than given credit for I just hope he can get started in AAA good so he can get himself a quick call up to the ML. In 2010, Ill be looking for 3 main things from him, 1 for his power to come through more, 2 for his fielding to contniue to improve and 3 for his discipline to continue to improve. Last year he had a very similar diff between OBP and BA between him and Bell, but many didnt notice. Hopefully he can continue this upcoming year and beat the door down....

I'm not sure why you think he was unlucky. He had a BABIP of .321 in Norfolk.

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=474319

When you neutralize his stats for luck his .671 OPS does increase but only to .750. And when you neutralize the park, it rises slightly to .772

That hardly shows he's ready for MLB. He's still got a ton to prove in AAA IMO.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you neutralize his stats for luck his .671 OPS does increase but only to .750. And when you neutralize the park, it rises slightly to .772

He was unlucky because he had a 27% LD %, which is ridiculous. You do get that an .080 improvement in OPS is enormous, right?

If at 22 he'd put up a .770 OPS at AAA, after a 1.000+ OPS as AA, his prospect status would be wildly different than it currently is (in the eyes of many).

He likely needs a bit of time at AAA. On the other hand, if he mashes in Hawaii and looks good in the Spring, I'd be tempted to start him just so he wouldn't have to suffer in Norfolk (and its numbers-killing effects) again.

Ok, you just disagreed with what I said, then proved yourself wrong. I said he had an unlucky stint there, I didnt say he was ML ready. Sure he needs some time there to continue his development, but 100 OPS points is quite a big raise IMO. And thats not telling the whole story either. Tony mentioned how his BB rate slipped in away games for trying to do too much in more favorable stadiums. Hes have been pretty close to that .800 OPS but it doesnt matter, hes hitting well now in the AFL, he will hit well in Norfolk this year and we will see him in Baltimore soon.

He was unlucky because he had a 27% LD %, which is ridiculous. You do get that an .080 improvement in OPS is enormous, right?

If at 22 he'd put up a .770 OPS at AAA, after a 1.000+ OPS as AA, his prospect status would be wildly different than it currently is (in the eyes of many).

He likely needs a bit of time at AAA. On the other hand, if he mashes in Hawaii and looks good in the Spring, I'd be tempted to start him just so he wouldn't have to suffer in Norfolk (and its numbers-killing effects) again.

I agree, hed probably hit more HRs in Baltimore against ML pitching than he would in Norfolk against AAA pitching. His prospect status IMO would be wildly different if they would have just kept him in Bowie the whole time. He woulda posted 20+ HRs and questions about his power would have nearly disappeared. Yet he went to Norfolk, was unlucky and he still improved his prospect status, just not as much as he could have.....IMO hed be a surefire top 100 prospect had he remained in Bowie and continued his production....

Haha stupid face he's in Arizona not Hawaiit. Read abook!

When minorleaguesplits.com adjusts for luck, Snyder's BABIP improves to .367. Hence, .321 was unlucky considering Snyder's high LD % and other components.

Snyder's now 1 for 4, Bell 3 for 4 with a triple. On a side note, Adam Loewen has homered in the game.

I'm pleased to see a nice clean outing from Erbe.

Nice...Did he stop at 2IP?

For me, I expect Snyder to hit well here because for the most part its a step down from AAA, but Im glad to see the AA guys like Bell and Erbe performing well since it is basically tougher competition than AA, sorta like AA+.

I also remember last season when Matusz pitched that it was hinted at that it may be tougher for pitchers than hitters. Im guessing because for the most part, the prospect SPs pitched too many innings to go to the AFL, but the position players have no limit on how many innings or games they play, so the position prospects arent limited like the pitching prospects are.......

I don't think you understand that hitters control BABIP much more than pitchers do. Good hitters maintain BABIPs well over .300 throughout their careers. Check out Gwynn, Boggs, Carew.

Snyder has maintained a .350-.360 BABIP at every level since he recovered from his shoulder surgery. His .402 was Bowie was a fluke, but so was the .321.

Archived