Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

I agree, and regardless, liek I said I expect him to K a lot as long as he can make contact hes gonna produce. I could see him being like a Adam Dunn-lite or Carlos Pena-lite. A bit lesser of an OBP and probably not as many HR's but depending on his contact rate, he could hit anywhere from 15-40 HRs. Id expect him to fall somewhere there in the middle.....25-30, if he shows the ability to keep hitting....

I don't subscribe to the idea that, because he's likely to K a lot at the MLB level, his Ks don't matter now. The point Stotle is making is that if he's not catching up to AFL pitching, it doesn't bode well for him making enough contact at the MLB leve (where his Ks will likely tick up yet another notch).

Like I said, I'm not sure that the first game is an indication of anything, going by first-hand reports of the strike zone. But if he continues to K at a rate above 33% then it's a pretty big issue.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snyder and Bell had quite the game tonight.

Bell finished 3-4 with a 2B and 3 RBI, while Snyder was 2-3 with 3 R and a BB.

Angle finished 0-4 with a K

Two Orioles relievers also pitched: Gamboa got roughed up a bit giving up 2 runs on 2 hits (1 ER being a HR) in 2.1 IP with a BB and a K. Perrault had a better outing, pitching 1 inning giving up a hit, BB and getting a K.

I'm happy to see Snyder getting his mojo back. Good fall campaigns by Snyder and Bell may have a lot of impact on what the O's do this winter.

I want to see all the O's prospects do well but I don't think that should change the path of the O's this off season. The AFL league is really about a AA+ league IMO. It's not AAA where there are alot of experienced players to compete against. AAA will still be a hurdle to over come for the O's prospects.

The AFL should be an opportunity for Bell to work on hitting lefties and improving his defense. Snyder should hit well in the AFL considering what he did in AA. He still can work on his defense and he still will need to do better at AAA next year before he should be promoted to the big club.

I want to see all the O's prospects do well but I don't think that should change the path of the O's this off season. The AFL league is really about a AA+ league IMO. It's not AAA where there are alot of experienced players to compete against. AAA will still be a hurdle to over come for the O's prospects.

Couldn't agree more. How posters think a good AFL season should effect the O's is a little Iffy. This isn't even a AAA competitive league. Doesn't mean much to me but doing well there certainly isn't a bad thing.

Three games for Snyder so far:

Date	OPP	AVG	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	OPSOct 13	MSS	.400	5	1	2	0	0	1	2	0	1	0	0	.400	1.000	1.400Oct 15	@SCO	.200	5	0	1	0	0	0	1	0	1	0	0	.200	.200	.400Oct 16	SCO	.667	3	3	2	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	0	.750	.667	1.417Totals	 	.385	13	4	5	0	0	1	3	1	2	0	0	.429	.615	1.044

The AFL should be an opportunity for Bell to work on hitting lefties and improving his defense. Snyder should hit well in the AFL considering what he did in AA. He still can work on his defense and he still will need to do better at AAA next year before he should be promoted to the big club.

I agree with what you say about the AFL vs. AAA, and I think Snyder and Bell need to show success in AAA before they are brought to the majors. But I do think their performance here may influence whether the O's go after a one-year patch job vs. a longer term solution at the corners.

I agree with what you say about the AFL vs. AAA, and I think Snyder and Bell need to show success in AAA before they are brought to the majors. But I do think their performance here may influence whether the O's go after a one-year patch job vs. a longer term solution at the corners.

Well, isnt this league comprised of top prospects who are for the most part going between AA to AAA? I mean if they are top prospects then they have better tools usually than the nonprospects. IMO that would make the level closer to AAA then AA. Of course thats just my opinion, but a premium AA/AAA prospect is gonna be IMO producing something closer to AAA level performance rather than AA.

I do think that both Snyder and Bell need time in AAA, but Arrieta I could see a possible OD spot in the rotation. I personally would like to see him kick the ML door down from AAA, but if in ST hes kicking the ML door down, then I say bring him up.....

I know that for batters especially AFL performances mean next to nothing, but I'm still glad to see that Snyder's hitting well.

Me too. Its funny how a few hundred unlucky ABs at Norfolk can make a group of people turn on a guy. IMO it actually means more than you think that hes lighting up the AFL. Its great for him to get his confidecne back up for one thing. Shoot, Im glad it gets my/our confidence in him back up as well. Hes a pure hitter and he has more pop than given credit for I just hope he can get started in AAA good so he can get himself a quick call up to the ML. In 2010, Ill be looking for 3 main things from him, 1 for his power to come through more, 2 for his fielding to contniue to improve and 3 for his discipline to continue to improve. Last year he had a very similar diff between OBP and BA between him and Bell, but many didnt notice. Hopefully he can continue this upcoming year and beat the door down....

I know that for batters especially AFL performances mean next to nothing, but I'm still glad to see that Snyder's hitting well.

I'd say mentally it has an affect on him. Also, while doing good may not mean much, doing poorly would look worse considering he finished in AAA and most seem to consider this, at least, a slight step down.

Archived