Yet Another Sad Day For Baseball

millertime

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup.

I wish I could work up the ire and hatred that I used to have for them. But honestly, I just can't. I don't know why.

For me it's a few things:

1) Maturity...simple, I took it a lot more dramatically when I was younger and have just accepted the economic advantage

2) The money disparity is so ridiculous now even Yankee fans recognize. I live in NYC, you can tell there's less zeal, less sense of accomplishment. It's the best team money can buy...and everyone knows it.

3) I still believe in the randomness of the playoffs. Even with that payroll, it took them a decade to win one...that's enough solace for me. Give me a Wildcard spot and I'll take my chance in a short series year in, year out--we'll prob end up winning more than our payroll deserves.

4) I like where this team is headed.

Eh, who cares?

WalMart wins another championship. Whoop-te-doo.

Nothings going to change so why get upset? I'll just look forward to the O's maybe reaching .500 next year.

Lucky football doesn't have 2 season one which took place during baseball season because then I really wouldn't care if the Yankees won ever year

The Yankees competing in and winning the WS is good for the business of baseball. It gets more people to tune in and therefore more companies want to advertise and MLB and the owners make more money.

The owners are rolling in cash from baseball IMO so I don't think you'll see anything change anytime soon.

If teams like the Orioles want to win, they are going to have to start spending more money to put a winning product on the field and keep the talent away from the Yankees by locking it up or being aggressive in FA when they are high on a FA's list even if they aren't at the top.

For example, if MacPhail offers 8/184-192 for Tex, perhaps the Yankees never make it to the WS...

Sorry but you are wrong

the yankees winning are bad for the business of baseball

when teams begin to fold maybe then baseball will see the stupidity of not having a salary cap

and even a salary floor

The Yankees competing in and winning the WS is good for the business of baseball. It gets more people to tune in and therefore more companies want to advertise and MLB and the owners make more money.

The owners are rolling in cash from baseball IMO so I don't think you'll see anything change anytime soon.

If teams like the Orioles want to win, they are going to have to start spending more money to put a winning product on the field and keep the talent away from the Yankees by locking it up or being aggressive in FA when they are high on a FA's list even if they aren't at the top.

For example, if MacPhail offers 8/184-192 for Tex, perhaps the Yankees never make it to the WS...

The Orioles don't have the resources the Yankees do and most likely never will.

Well..the Yankees are only a few outs away from winning the World Series. Who would have guessed it? I mean, seriously, the ONLY acquisitions they made last offseason were a couple of scrubs named CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, and Mark Teixeira. And they only spent a measly quarter of a billion dollars to do so.

Before I vent here, I feel it is only fair to I say that I have hated the Yankees for a long time and there is still a fairly large part of me that is bitter for Teixeira signing with them over the Orioles. But let's get real here...the Yankees "buying" this year's championship should be the straw that breaks the camel's back. When is Bud Selig going to realize that aside from Yankee fans, every other remaining fan of baseball has absolutely had it with how unfair it is to compete with a team that can spend trillions of dollars to field the best team? It makes me absolutely sick and quite frankly, I don't understand how the Yankees themselves and their fans can truly appreciate being called "World Champions" when 90% of their roster is made up of studs who accepted the Yankee's highest contract offers? For God sakes...the American League All-Star team could be made up of three quarters of the Yankees team.

Call me a baby if you want because the Orioles are not the Yankees, but the Yankees have been and are continuing to ruin baseball for everyone outside the state of New York and Bud Selig continues to sit around and do nothing about it. Revenue sharing??? Please.

I dont know if you remember last offseason but the Orioles bid on Burnett and Tex... Grow up. They won a world series. We were cheap they werent. Do you wish their was communism in baseball? You know our stud catcher? Yeah four teams passed on him and we signed him over slot? Should have we not done that? If you have a poblem with the way the Yanks won than you have a problem with signing Wieters WAY over slot and Arrieta to a million dollar bonus in the 5th round.

Get sum

I am really curious to get everyone's "honest" opinion about this. If the Orioles had a team of all studs that we acquired by outbidding every other team in baseball for and they won a World Series, would you "honestly" feel like we deserved to be called Champions or would you feel like we bought a championship? It is actually a tough question because as Oriole fans, your first reaction would be to say "Hell yeah! I don't care that our payroll is half a billion dollars...we are World Champions!". But I am interested to see what everyone thinks.

At least it wasn't Boston celebrating......... I've grown to somewhat tolerate the Yankees. As Oriole fans, it's not like a World Series is ever going to mean anything to us.

It is Darth Vadar winning the most sacred thing in the entire universe

This is the first world series since 1965 that I could not tolerate to watch a single game.

It is literally evil unleashed and running rampant upon the good people of the earth.

Bah! 11 years ago the O's had the resources the Yankees had. They made sound business decisions, built their team into a billion dollar franchise, made a seat the hottest ticket in town, took their attendance from middle of the pack to 4 million a year. It's true they have a much bigger market size but we shouldn't be this far behind. They spent the last eleven years building a powerhouse organization from top to bottom. We can't find Mike Flanagan.

The more the Yankees win, the more likely it is that Selig will finally have to confront the issue.

The problem is... this is only the Yankees second championship in 10 years... 2000 and 2009.

In between the Red Sox won twice, and the Diamondbacks, Angels, Marlins, White Sox, Cardinals, and Phillies once.

So, really, you can't say that the Yankees always win the big one since it's only happened twice this decade (so far).

This is why the powers to be will point to parity because the Yankees in fact haven't won it all.

It is Darth Vadar winning the most sacred thing in the entire universe

This is the first world series since 1965 that I could not tolerate to watch a single game.

It is literally evil unleashed and running rampant upon the good people of the earth.

This thread should be titled how can we develop talent like the Yankees not "life is unfair"

We are closer to the Pirates than the Yankees

I dont know if you remember last offseason but the Orioles bid on Burnett and Tex... Grow up. They won a world series. We were cheap they werent. Do you wish their was communism in baseball? You know our stud catcher? Yeah four teams passed on him and we signed him over slot? Should have we not done that? If you have a poblem with the way the Yanks won than you have a problem with signing Wieters WAY over slot and Arrieta to a million dollar bonus in the 5th round.

Get sum

Chill out man...no need for the harsh words. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about the group of core young players the Orioles have but you talk about slotting in the draft? Imagine if the Orioles decided that Wieters asking price was too high and so did most other small market teams, then what happens? He goes to a team like the Red Sox or the Yankees because they don't care how much money they spend. They same thing could have easily happened with Strausburg this year. There is no slotting system which is yet another sign of how totally screwed up the system is. For arguement's sake...let's say Wieters or Strausburg was being ridiculous and asking for $25 million. Do you think the Yankees would pass up on someone of their talent for what would be chmup change for them?

Archived