Yet Another Sad Day For Baseball

millertime

I don't get it. He wanted to play for the Yankees and did.

I can't speak for the poster in question, but it bothers me because I always had my hopes pinned on t-bag being an Oriole. The idea was foolhardy in hindsight, but it's what I believed. *sigh*

Someday Wieters will have a ring too.

Yep, and he'll look quite fetching in pinstripes. ;)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow my point went way over your head. My point was that we cant complain about the Yankees overpaying when we are paying WAY over for players too. You cant love our overpaid draft picks and hate the Yankees overpaid free agents. Richer teams passed on Wieters and Arrieta and we singed them way over slot. We were cheap on the free agents though

Your point didn't go over my head. Yes...the Orioles overpaid for Wieters but that is because they knew they had too. If they didn't, he could have very well landed with a team like the Yankees or the Red Sox. Not to mention, I don't understand why any team over pays for draft picks because in all honesty, no matter how good they are, if the system doesn't change, when they are due up for their first long term contract, chances are they will accept the highest offer. The term "home team discount" doesn't mean squat nowadays.

This poster doesnt want titles. How many people do the Yankees have left over from 96... Where they drafted and developed. At least 2 you could argue 3.

Jeter, Mo and Pettite.

How many Orioles have been around since 05?

Player development means something.

I want titles

Just not at any cost

I am all for player development

I love what the Orioles are doing with the young talent

Jeter and Mo are great

Pettite is a man I respect a great deal because he was a man about his drug use

Back in the day once the orioles were eliminated from contention I would be for any team from the AL East to win it all

But the way baseball is now I hope for bad things to happen to any Yankee or Red Sox

Yeah...probably for the Yankees because when it comes time to sign Wieters to a long term deal, the Yankees will outbid the Orioles for him.

A. come on, we can't just jump to that conclusion. And, regardless of where he goes at some point in his career, he will be here right with Jones and the rest in 2 or 3 seasons when we have a good team.

B. This reminds me of a Cal Ripken bobblehead night right before he had his Hall of Fame send of game. My girlfriend and I were standing in line waiting while and older gentleman and my mom were waiting on a bench nearby. My mom told me he was anticipating very dreadfully seeing Markakis and all of our stars in pinstripes someday soon. She said he sounded happy to have good young players finally but dreadful that they were going to leave.

We need to shred this line of thinking. We extended Markakis, the deals will be there, but we won't keep everyone, no.

The Orioles never had a chance of signing him. Am I piping mad?!?! no of course not... but that's the first thing I thought of when the last out was made... "That jack*** not only wins the WS, but gets the game winning ball..." A small, but felt slap in the face.

Dont know why you felt that. Their was never a second that he was ever going to be an Oriole. Never. Why did you take it personally?

You would never turn down 40 million or so would you? Nope. I thought not.

I can't speak for the poster in question, but it bothers me because I always had my hopes pinned on t-bag being an Oriole. The idea was foolhardy in hindsight, but it's what I believed. *sigh*

Yep, and he'll look quite fetching in pinstripes. ;)

Hey, man I wanted him to, but thats how it goes. I don't now what really happened. I also wanted Vlad, and a bunch of other players. I remember I really wanted Tejada and Javy on the team as well. We got both of them. Might not have turned into a ring, but I enjoyed having them on the team. We won't win them all and bring them all in, but the tide will turn. If we build a winning team it won't be so hard to bring in a player when we need one.

It would have been nice, but its not the end of the world.

Hey, man I wanted him to, but thats how it goes. I don't now what really happened. I also wanted Vlad, and a bunch of other players. I remember I really wanted Tejada and Javy on the team as well. We got both of them. Might not have turned into a ring, but I enjoyed having them on the team. We won't win them all and bring them all in, but the tide will turn. If we build a winning team it won't be so hard to bring in a player when we need one.

It would have been nice, but its not the end of the world.

I know the tide will turn, but I'm impatient dammit. :D;)

Besides, now I have to listen to MFY fans say how their team is the best in the land for at least the next year. :rolleyes:

Dont know why you felt that. Their was never a second that he was ever going to be an Oriole. Never. Why did you take it personally?

You would never turn down 40 million or so would you? Nope. I thought not.

Exactly. You can't blame players for taking the Yankee's offers. Who wouldn't take the highest offer for a job in their line of business? The problem is with Bud Selig and Bud Selig alone. He is the only one who can change the system but he won't. If there were a salary cap and the Yankees couldn't offer the highest contracts to every single free agent out there, we would see more balance. Just look at the NFL. The NFL is as close to being a prerfect system as there is. Competitive balance is a huge factor. Your team can suck one year and be playoff bound the next.

Your point didn't go over my head. Yes...the Orioles overpaid for Wieters but that is because they knew they had too. If they didn't, he could have very well landed with a team like the Yankees or the Red Sox. Not to mention, I don't understand why any team over pays for draft picks because in all honesty, no matter how good they are, if the system doesn't change, when they are due up for their first long term contract, chances are they will accept the highest offer. The term "home team discount" doesn't mean squat nowadays.

This post is incomprehensible to me. It essentially says we are so pathetic that there is no point in drafting because no matter what they will go elsewhere. Its a loser mindset here. I feel like most people would rather feel bad about ourselves than think about what we can do to be better.

Newsflash! Capitalism FTW! If we dont spend money in development and scouting we are going to be behind the rest of the AL EAST. We are behind the Sox, Yankees and Rays in terms of talent on the farm and all three have more talent at the major league level.

Yep. We arent competing till 2014 earliest.

I want titles

Just not at any cost

I am all for player development

I love what the Orioles are doing with the young talent

Jeter and Mo are great

Pettite is a man I respect a great deal because he was a man about his drug use

Back in the day once the orioles were eliminated from contention I would be for any team from the AL East to win it all

But the way baseball is now I hope for bad things to happen to any Yankee or Red Sox

Wow. What is at any cost?

I know the tide will turn, but I'm impatient dammit. :D;)

Besides, now I have to listen to MFY fans say how their team is the best in the land for at least the next year. :rolleyes:

Just ask those yankee fans about the steroids

I ask them if they have any decency at all

Because if they did they would not publicly proclaim themselves as Yankee fans

They would hide in shame instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along with there evil twins the red sox fans

But let's get real here...the Yankees "buying" this year's championship should be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
The more the Yankees win, the more likely it is that Selig will finally have to confront the issue.

Sounds nice, but I think you're dreaming...

Exactly. You can't blame players for taking the Yankee's offers. Who wouldn't take the highest offer for a job in their line of business? The problem is with Bud Selig and Bud Selig alone. He is the only one who can change the system but he won't. If there were a salary cap and the Yankees couldn't offer the highest contracts to every single free agent out there, we would see more balance. Just look at the NFL. The NFL is as close to being a prerfect system as there is. Competitive balance is a huge factor. Your team can suck one year and be playoff bound the next.

Their is more competitive balance in basbeall than the NFL.. I cnt wait for Jayson Starks newest column about it..

Archived