Ralph just ain't gettin' er done

Todd-O

No matter who the coach is can anyone ever honestly see the Terps play for a national championship? As much as I would love to see it, it's not going to happen no matter who is coaching the team. And in my mind that is the goal for every college football team. To play for the national championship not just go to a decent bowl. My point is that changing coaches won't change a thing. As long as the SEC stays dominant and we continue to be out-recruited by the more traditional football schools, this is what we are left with. So I say enough Fridge bashing and support who we are, not who we are not going to be.

"The good is the enemy of the best." You should never just sit on your laurels and be satisfied with just being good.

Besides, I see no reason why MD couldn't be a championship contender. There's loads of talent around here. Obviously not as much as in places like FL or TX, but there's plenty here to be had.

I'm not on the "fire Ralph" crew, because I think he's done a pretty good job, but I do tend to agree that with him, we're not going to advance to much more than we are now. If that pattern continues, I think we should start to look elsewhere.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter who the coach is can anyone ever honestly see the Terps play for a national championship? As much as I would love to see it, it's not going to happen no matter who is coaching the team. And in my mind that is the goal for every college football team. To play for the national championship not just go to a decent bowl. My point is that changing coaches won't change a thing. As long as the SEC stays dominant and we continue to be out-recruited by the more traditional football schools, this is what we are left with. So I say enough Fridge bashing and support who we are, not who we are not going to be.

Of course!

Maryland has a lot going for it... nice new facilities... some history of tradition and some great former players... and the Stadium is only going to be improved upon. They play in a league that gets lots of national exposure and has powerhouse programs. If you get the right kind of coach that is able to attract more than one or two impact players during any 3-4 year span, then you are going to be rolling.

Look at West Virginia for crying out loud!

Maryland football fans have every reason to expect a powerful football team... a few years ago it looked like Maryland was really headed in that direction. But what we didn't know is that the Fridge wouldn't be able to reload the shotgun once he fired it.

You get the right coach here... and the sky is the limit.

No way Freidgen gets fired ever. He may walk away on his own but they will never fire him. And by the way I'm not at all content with the Football situation, but it is what it is for the moment and I've gotta support it. Fridge could probably stand to lose a few pages out of the playbook though.

No way Freidgen gets fired ever. He may walk away on his own but they will never fire him. And by the way I'm not at all content with the Football situation, but it is what it is for the moment and I've gotta support it. Fridge could probably stand to lose a few pages out of the playbook though.

Lose a few? With as boring as the offense is, I envision a playbook reminiscent of the original Tecmo Bowl.

No, they should fire Fridge because the team has gotten worse since he started playing with his own recruits. Wake Forest and Virginia have been able to get high profile guys to come in so there is no reason Maryland can't either.

What? Wake Forest NEVER gets highly touted recruits. They won last year (for the first time under Grobe) with an experienced, scheme oriented team. They didn't out talent anyone. Last year was the first time UVA had a higher ranked recruiting class than Maryland since 2003, and the Terps have a much more highly ranked recruiting class this season.

I'm more pessimistic recently about the football program than I've been in the past (although yesterday helped calm those fears), but the last time I checked Fridge won 9 games last year with a team composed entirely of his own recruits. Anyone suggesting that he should be fired now coming off a 9-4 season must not have an appreciation of how bad the program was before he was hired.

Besides, I see no reason why MD couldn't be a championship contender. There's loads of talent around here. Obviously not as much as in places like FL or TX, but there's plenty here to be had.

There is some good talent in Maryland, but even locking down 100% of the top guys in state (which is impossible anyway), thgere's still a long way to go to be a legitimate championship contender.

There is some good talent in Maryland' date=' but even locking down 100% of the top guys in state (which is impossible anyway), thgere's still a long way to go to be a legitimate championship contender.[/quote']

This is incorrect in my opinion. Maryland is a very good football state and their is enough talent to compete for a championship. Remember this team has been to a BCS game with what most called a lack of speed. Imagine this team with Benn, Dwill and tate in the offense and derrick harvey as one of their ends just to name a few. Thereis enough talent to win. The key is good QB play. We just beat a top 10 team on the road with good QB play. If the fridge gets good QB play then they will have a very good team. Its that simple.

BTW we a having a very good recruiting year. The next couple of years are going to be very exciting.

1. New Facilities
  2. A freshman QB looking very good in a hostile envirement
  3. Portis coming back next year
  4. Antwine Perez coming in next year
  5. Bey, Williams, Gloster, Campbell and Watson filling out WR and TE
  6. 5 4 star recruits so far this year and at positions of need

If we land Tate we have a load of talent at skill positions to go along with Portis/Turner

Enough negativity already!! :D

BTW did anyone else notice how fat Darel scott looked yesterday WOW

EDIT: Make that fast lol

I must say... it was really nice to see the Terps setting up in a shot-gun split back set.

Those kind of misdirection plays are not only fun to watch but they keep the d on their toes.

Hopefully there will be more to come.

This is incorrect in my opinion. Maryland is a very good football state and their is enough talent to compete for a championship. Remember this team has been to a BCS game with what most called a lack of speed. Imagine this team with Benn, Dwill and tate in the offense and derrick harvey as one of their ends just to name a few. Thereis enough talent to win. The key is good QB play. We just beat a top 10 team on the road with good QB play. If the fridge gets good QB play then they will have a very good team. Its that simple.

BTW we a having a very good recruiting year. The next couple of years are going to be very exciting.

1. New Facilities
  2. A freshman QB looking very good in a hostile envirement
  3. Portis coming back next year
  4. Antwine Perez coming in next year
  5. Bey, Williams, Gloster, Campbell and Watson filling out WR and TE
  6. 5 4 star recruits so far this year and at positions of need

If we land Tate we have a load of talent at skill positions to go along with Portis/Turner

Enough negativity already!! :D

BTW did anyone else notice how fat Darel scott looked yesterday WOW

EDIT: Make that fast lol

Quick question, are you saying that MD is a very good football state in terms of High School talent? Do you really believe that?

There has been a lot of really great talent coming out of the DC Metro area... no doubt about it. Of course, a state like FL would appear to have more... and it no doubt does... but there is a slight size discrepancy between the two.

Quick question, are you saying that MD is a very good football state in terms of High School talent? Do you really believe that?

Let me elaborate

The Maryland DC Metro Area as stated after my post. There is plenty of talent in the surrounding area to field a championship caliber team.

Just a few that are playing now or are on there way in that were/are considered very good to great prospects:

Benn

DWilliams

DHarvey

Covington (Terp)

Gaither (Would Should still be here)

Logan El

Dutch

Alaeze (what a shame)

Tate (Say a prayer for this guy)

Thomas (Say a second prayer for this guy)

Slaton

Green (Terp)

There are many more and all of these guys are/were rated as having pro potential

Archived