Ralph just ain't gettin' er done

Todd-O

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are the odds that Maryland could bring in a higher profile coach who can actually recruit some big time talent?

Well, would you rather have a guy like Ron Zook, who is signing #1 recruiting classes, but is not a good game coach?

Why not hire a recruiter? Seems to have worked for the basketball team.

What are the odds that Maryland could bring in a higher profile coach who can actually recruit some big time talent?

I know of a guy who has had proven success as a college head coach that would probably jump at the offer to coach MD. He won't even have to move very far.......he already lives right up the road from College Park.

This might sound crazy... but not that crazy.

I think Maryland should look into Larry Johnson, Sr. (the d-line coach at Penn State and father of Larry Johnson the RB).

Coach Johnson was the football coach at my high school - McDonough - where he won 3 state championships and won more games in the 1980's than any other Maryland public high school football program. He left in 1991 and soon joined up at Penn State.

Last year, when the Terps lost a bulk of stud recruits to Penn State... I read an article (perhaps the Post) that talked in depth about how Larry Johnson had single handedly raided the cream of the crop right from under Maryland's nose.

Of course, he hasn't been a head coach in some time... but why the hell not!?

This might sound crazy... but not that crazy.

I think Maryland should look into Larry Johnson, Sr. (the d-line coach at Penn State and father of Larry Johnson the RB).

Coach Johnson was the football coach at my high school - McDonough - where he won 3 state championships and won more games in the 1980's than any other Maryland public high school football program. He left in 1991 and soon joined up at Penn State.

Last year, when the Terps lost a bulk of stud recruits to Penn State... I read an article (perhaps the Post) that talked in depth about how Larry Johnson had single handedly raided the cream of the crop right from under Maryland's nose.

Of course, he hasn't been a head coach in some time... but why the hell not!?

Why not make him defensive/recruiting coordinator?

Looks like I missed a debauchle this weekend.

I was playing in a slowpitch softball tourney in Colorado and figured I'd check the score. It was 24-3 at the time and figured the game was in the bag. Then I got back to the hotel and saw Wake won in OT. The first thing that came to mind was that Cosh's defense collapsed. Looks like an all around collapse though.

I love the Fridge but the buck stops with him. Whether its:

1. The failure to recruit and bring in a QB who is talented enough and/or a quick enough study who can execute his 9,782 page playbook, its on him.

2. The failure to use a simpler, scaled down version of his offense like in 2001, its on him. The Fridge himself used to admit that the offense they ran then wasn't as sophisticated as it is today.

3. The failure to develop the QB that you brought in or adapt the gameplans, etc, based on the QB's and the offenses strengths and weaknesses.

Terps must have a guy who can make the right reads, execute the offense and get the ball to the playmakers. The Fridge has an oppty to show his true coaching genius this year if he can figure out the right buttons to press on Steffy to coach this kid up, help him get his bearings, so he can have a productive season. This season could go bad real fast if he doesn't help turn Steffy around fast. Other than NC State and UNC, there is no game that I can safely say that the Terps "should" win.

Rick Neuheisel. Sorry' date=' thought everyone would get that one.[/quote']

Ah, good pick up.

If the Terps were to get rid of the Fridge for some reason, I think Neuheisel would be a great signing. Very successful at a major D1 program, and was let go for a stupid reason anyway. How ironic would it be for him to end up at the school that sort of got him fired in the first place?

BTW, I hope it isn't in bad taste to say this, but I wonder how much longer Fridge's health will allow him to coach anyway. At halftime at the WVU game he looked out of breath just from walking the 50 yards from the sideline to the locker room.

Rick Neuheisel. Sorry' date=' thought everyone would get that one.[/quote']

Interesting......

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask it. Wouldn't it be considered a step down to go from NFL offensive coordinator to the headcoach of a football program that many consider will never be amongst the elite of the ACC, in a conference that many consider to be second fiddle to Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, Big 10?

IF Neuheisel would even consider a college job, wouldn't he have better options?

Interesting......

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask it. Wouldn't it be considered a step down to go from NFL offensive coordinator to the headcoach of a football program that many consider will never be amongst the elite of the ACC, in a conference that many consider to be second fiddle to Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, Big 10?

IF Neuheisel would even consider a college job, wouldn't he have better options?

I think it all depends on the individual. Neuheisel has stated that he wants to be a head coach again, and prefers the college game. Maybe the challenge of turning Maryland into a perennial ACC Championship contender would at least intrigue him. You also have to consider that he hasn't had any offers yet despite being cleared of any wrongdoing in the March Madness betting pool (and yes, the irony of him coaching at UMd would be something ;) ). But I'm thinking many still see him as a guy with baggage.

I'm pretty confident that he could bring in some big time recruits to College Park. But I also think that if he did have success at a school like MD that it wouldn't be long before an upper-echelon program came calling and he'd make tracks. He's a West Coast guy and I think he would ultimately like to be back in the Pac-10, with UCLA probably being his dream job.

BTW, I'm not advocating that the Terps go after Neuheisel, much less that they even let Friedgen go. I was just playing devil's advocate when someone asked if there was a high profile coach that would consider taking the Maryland job.

Ah, good pick up.

If the Terps were to get rid of the Fridge for some reason, I think Neuheisel would be a great signing. Very successful at a major D1 program, and was let go for a stupid reason anyway. How ironic would it be for him to end up at the school that sort of got him fired in the first place?

BTW, I hope it isn't in bad taste to say this, but I wonder how much longer Fridge's health will allow him to coach anyway. At halftime at the WVU game he looked out of breath just from walking the 50 yards from the sideline to the locker room.

Actually, make that 2 programs.

He was 33-14 at Colorado (28-19 if you count the NCAA forfeit penalty for the 1997 season) and 33-16 at Washington.

Actually' date=' make that 2 programs.

He was 33-14 at Colorado (28-19 if you count the NCAA forfeit penalty for the 1997 season) and 33-16 at Washington.[/quote']

He also seems like a very energetic coach that uses a lot of positive reinforcement. Being a former QB coach is a nice plus.

I hope he lands a college job somewhere, it just seems like he's one of those guys that is really cut out for the college game, kind of like Pete Carroll at USC.

Archived