What would it take for Greivis to get his jersey in the rafters?

O'sFanThruJune

What do you think Greivis Vasquez and the Terps have to do this year for Greivis' jersey to be honored? No jerseys have been honored since Baxter, Dixon, and Blake in 2002-03.

It's surprisingly difficult to find historical career totals for Terps players, but here is a site that at least covers 1989 to the present.

In that period, he's currently 8th in career points (1,548), and looks nearly certain to pass Baxter (1,860) for 2nd by the end of the year. Dixon (2,269) is probably out of reach.

He's currently 3rd in that period in assists (585), and will pass Terrell Stokes (595) soon. Blake (972) is out of reach.

He currently has 502 rebounds, and needs 132 more to break into the top-10 since 1989.

I know that the Terps haven't had the greatest success the last three years, but they've been competitive every year and have been dangerous to top teams, continually getting victories against Duke, UNC, Michigan St, etc. Vasquez has some legendary games to his credit too, most notably the triple-double against UNC last year.

If Vasquez can duplicate last year's production this year, I think his jersey should be honored. If the Terps can make a good showing in the dance, I think it will strengthen his case even more.

What do you think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my personal standards there is nothing he can do that would make him worthy of having his jersey hung from the rafters. However, when you consider Francis had his jersey hung after playing here for one year it's hard to argue against Grievis.

He's the best player we've had since the Championship teams left, but I'm not sure he's worthy of the rafters. I can understand going either way, but right now just my first response to the idea, I'd lean against retiring his jersey.

By my personal standards there is nothing he can do that would make him worthy of having his jersey hung from the rafters. However, when you consider Francis had his jersey hung after playing here for one year it's hard to argue against Grievis.

Yeah Francis and Joe Smith are kind of outliers in my mind, because they both only played one year (I think?) and neither one made a final four or anything. Smith at least was the National Player of the Year. I'd much rather see a four-year star like Vasquez over guys who jumped really early.

EDIT: Smith played two years, sorry.

A good bit of climbing :wedge:

Ask us when he wins a championship.

Uh, you sure about that criteria? :laughlol:

Seriously though, here's the list of "Honored Jerseys". I think another year like the past three gets him there. He's led the team in assists all three years, points the last two and rebounds last year.

Here's the record book. Right now, he's 16th in points, and just repeating last year would put him past Len Bias for #2 on the list. 4th in assists, and could pass Keith Gatlin for #2. He's 6th in three-pointers made, and could pass Mike Jones for 2nd. He could move up to eighth on the steals list. With good runs in the ACC and NCAA tournaments he could threaten Juan Dixon's 141 career games. They don't list career minutes, but skimming down the player register he could blow past just about everyone who has their minutes listed.

He's got a nice case.

Yeah Francis and Joe Smith are kind of outliers in my mind' date=' because they both only played one year (I think?) and neither one made a final four or anything. Smith at least was the National Player of the Year. I'd much rather see a four-year star like Vasquez over guys who jumped really early.

EDIT: Smith played two years, sorry.[/quote']

Smith was a unique case all around. Goes from barely on the prospect radar to NPOTY and #1 overall pick in the NBA draft in two years, and in that time is the catalyst for the resurgence of the program out of the depths of the sanctions. He absolutely deserves that honor.

Francis...I think he was promised that no matter what to get him to come for the year :laughlol:

Anyone who believes otherwise is badly mistaken in my opinion.

Besides his relationship with Gary, his combination of points, assists, and rebounds will have left its mark in the MD record book.

He absolutely gets his jersey hung up. He has had his issues but he will finish top 10 in several categories and has been apart of some huge MD victories. Anyone remember the UNC upset last year- he dominated an NBA team.

I'm a Grevis fan. I stood up for him here after he got booed by so-called Terps fans just last season. If it wasn't for him being here, the team would have been awful the last 2 seasons. But... he's a good player - not a great player - and you don't retire jerseys of good players who haven't won anything - other than regular season games. Yes, you can focus on certain stats that make him look great, but you can also look at stats that make him look bad. His .405 FG % last season (and .327 from 3) was horrible. His 1.14 points per shot is as bad as any high scorer that you'll see - and points to his surprising failure to get to the foul line. And everyone knows about his problem with unforced turnovers. He scored his lofty (?) 17.5 PPG, because he was a volume shooter - one who took lots of bad shots. And he's not regarded as a good defensive player.

Now, if he wins an ACC Tournament Championship, I can see it; or if he gets to the Final 4 - I can see it. But, imo, he's got to do at least that for consideration. Having a uni retired is a tribute to greatness, and Grevis has not yet met that standard. And that's not knocking the guy - that's being honest. I love him being a Terp.

I'm a Grevis fan. I stood up for him here after he got booed by so-called Terps fans just last season. If it wasn't for him being here, the team would have been awful the last 2 seasons. But... he's a good player - not a great player - and you don't retire jerseys of good players who haven't won anything - other than regular season games. Yes, you can focus on certain stats that make him look great, but you can also look at stats that make him look bad. His .405 FG % last season (and .327 from 3) was horrible. His 1.14 points per shot is as bad as any high scorer that you'll see - and points to his surprising failure to get to the foul line. And everyone knows about his problem with unforced turnovers. He scored his lofty (?) 17.5 PPG, because he was a volume shooter - one who took lots of bad shots. And he's not regarded as a good defensive player.

Now, if he wins an ACC Tournament Championship, I can see it; or if he gets to the Final 4 - I can see it. But, imo, he's got to do at least that for consideration. Having a uni retired is a tribute to greatness, and Grevis has not yet met that standard. And that's not knocking the guy - that's being honest. I love him being a Terp.

I agree with you but I think he would need to do both (ACC Championship and Final Four) or else win the National Championship.

Archived