What would it take for Greivis to get his jersey in the rafters?

O'sFanThruJune

I'm a Grevis fan. I stood up for him here after he got booed by so-called Terps fans just last season. If it wasn't for him being here, the team would have been awful the last 2 seasons. But... he's a good player - not a great player - and you don't retire jerseys of good players who haven't won anything - other than regular season games. Yes, you can focus on certain stats that make him look great, but you can also look at stats that make him look bad. His .405 FG % last season (and .327 from 3) was horrible. His 1.14 points per shot is as bad as any high scorer that you'll see - and points to his surprising failure to get to the foul line. And everyone knows about his problem with unforced turnovers. He scored his lofty (?) 17.5 PPG, because he was a volume shooter - one who took lots of bad shots. And he's not regarded as a good defensive player.

Now, if he wins an ACC Tournament Championship, I can see it; or if he gets to the Final 4 - I can see it. But, imo, he's got to do at least that for consideration. Having a uni retired is a tribute to greatness, and Grevis has not yet met that standard. And that's not knocking the guy - that's being honest. I love him being a Terp.

I couldn't agree more. He isn't a great player and jerseys should be hung for great players. Big deal, he has been the best player during a 2 year stretch where we don't have a winning record in the ACC. It would take him leading this team to something very special this year for me to consider hanging Vasquez's jersey. Otherwise, if he has his jersey hung he officially goes down as the most overrated Terp basketball player in the last 20 years since I started following Terps basketball. Johnny Rhodes deserves his jersey hung long before Vasquez.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't agree more. He isn't a great player and jerseys should be hung for great players. Big deal, he has been the best player during a 2 year stretch where we don't have a winning record in the ACC. It would take him leading this team to something very special this year for me to consider hanging Vasquez's jersey. Otherwise, if he has his jersey hung he officially goes down as the most overrated Terp basketball player in the last 20 years since I started following Terps basketball. Johnny Rhodes deserves his jersey hung long before Vasquez.

Rhodes was a great defensive player and 4 year starter who was also a good rebounder and passer. He didn't have much shooting range, but he didn't take bad shots. Here's his stats and bio. The all-time career ACC leader in steals http://www.terrapinstats.com/bb/profile.cfm?playerid=309

Rhodes was a great defensive player and 4 year starter who was also a good rebounder and passer. He didn't have much shooting range, but he didn't take bad shots. Here's his stats and bio. The all-time career ACC leader in steals http://www.terrapinstats.com/bb/profile.cfm?playerid=309

Yup. I mentioned Rhodes because I thought he and Vasquez were fairly comparable. Rhodes and Vasquez both are averaging just over 14 points a game but Rhodes did it more efficiently as the better % shooter. This all coming as the 2nd or 3rd option offensively behind Booth and Smith for the majority of his years. He was also the much better defensive player. He is going to finish with more rebounds, blocks and many more steals than Grevies.

Sounds like as good a time as any to honor a forgotten star who deserves it.

"What would it take for Greivis to get his jersey in the rafters?"

A really tall ladder?

Honestly, he's a very good player (while simultaneously being the most frustrating player I've ever watched in a Maryland uniform). But I look at the list of guys whose jerseys are in the rafters and I just don't put him in their class. I'd have Adrian Branch up there before I put Vasquez up there.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-baskbl/history/honored_jerseys.html

The criteria for getting your jersey honored in Maryland basketball is to be named to a National All-American list. It is that simple.

Looks to me that the All-American lists are a sufficient criterion, but not a necessary one. Gene Shue, Buck Williams, Lonny Baxter, and Steve Blake all had jerseys honored despite never making a list. Certainly Baxter and Blake are there for the 2001-02 final fours. I didn't realize that every player who made one of these teams was honored though. I guess it explains the Francis pick.

First-team all-Americans: Berger x2, Lucas x2, King, Bias, Smith, Dixon

Second-team all-Americans: McMillen x2, Lucas, Elmore, King, Bias, W. Williams, Francis

Third-team all-Americans: McMillen, Smith, Booth, Dixon

Retired jerseys: Berger, Shue, Elmore, McMillan, Lucas, King, B. Willams, Bias, W. Williams, Smith, Booth, Francis, Dixon, Baxter, Blake.

• 4 weeks later...

What would it take for Greivis to get his jersey in the rafters? How about... "A strong arm."

What an incredibly over-rated player. His stats are inflated primarily because he's selfish and refuses to incorporate others. Terps don't improve until he moves on. What's his shooting percentage this year? I'll be amazed if it crests 35%... What MD needs is another Juan Dixon, a hard-working player who could create his own shot and yet be patient when it wasn't there.

What would it take for Greivis to get his jersey in the rafters? How about... "A strong arm."

What an incredibly over-rated player. His stats are inflated primarily because he's selfish and refuses to incorporate others. Terps don't improve until he moves on. What's his shooting percentage this year? I'll be amazed if it crests 35%... What MD needs is another Juan Dixon, a hard-working player who could create his own shot and yet be patient when it wasn't there.

Your analysis is that we need another Juan Dixon?

That's pretty insightful.

Actually, one of Greivis' best attributes is his ability to see the floor and make good passes. Also, every team in the national would like another Juan Dixon.

Plus, Greivis hearts haters so please continue.

Actually, one of Greivis' best attributes is his ability to see the floor and make good passes. Also, every team in the national would like another Juan Dixon.

Plus, Greivis hearts haters so please continue.

So far this season, he's really shutting up his haters with his 28% 3 point shooting, 1.6 A/TO ratio, 35% FG shooting. And those numbers really aren't all that much below his career numbers. He's a talented guy who can put up a lot of points, but his shot selection and ball control seem mediocre at best. I don't see how his jersey belongs in the rafters. It just seems like another step towards lowering the standards for the Terp bball team.

So far this season, he's really shutting up his haters with his 28% 3 point shooting, 1.6 A/TO ratio, 35% FG shooting. And those numbers really aren't all that much below his career numbers. He's a talented guy who can put up a lot of points, but his shot selection and ball control seem mediocre at best. I don't see how his jersey belongs in the rafters. It just seems like another step towards lowering the standards for the Terp bball team.
He's definitely been awful to start the year, no doubt about that.

If he can bounce back and have a huge year, first-team All-ACC, then he'll have a decent argument for the rafters. I think he falls a bit short, we just didn't accomplish enough as a team while he was here (barring a crazy Final 4 run this year or something) and his accomplishments as a player don't really fit in with most of the other jerseys.

I didn't say that he belongs in the rafters... If he keeps playing like this, he doesn't. But, Greivis has used negativity as fuel in the past and I see no reason that the same thing won't happen now. He's too good of a player to keep playing this badly.

I didn't say that he belongs in the rafters... If he keeps playing like this, he doesn't. But, Greivis has used negativity as fuel in the past and I see no reason that the same thing won't happen now. He's too good of a player to keep playing this badly.

His "bad" numbers this year aren't really that much below his career numbers. His PPG is down. His A/TO is right where it typically resides (shockingly, it's currently lower than last year). He's at 35% FG%, which is down from a career mark of 41%. His 3P% is 28%, down from his career mark of 31%.

His shooting rate is actually lower than last season (he's taking 0.38 FGA per minute compared to .44 last season). Scale his PPG this season by 44/38, and he's up to 16 PPG. So, if he starts shooting more, makes a few more to get all the way up to a 40% shooter, he's right back to where he belongs.

If he keeps playing "like this", it's really not that significantly lower than his typical performance.

Archived