Should we go for another arm, or target a SS?

There are 3 very good SS prospects this year- Colon, Machado, Cabrera. We certainly could use a good SS prospect in the system. (many people aren't sold on Givens).

I think as much as we need a SS, I'd go with one of the power arms (Taillon is my preference) unless by some uncanny chance Harper fell to 3. He'd be the only position player I'd take over a pitcher in this draft.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are 3 very good SS prospects this year- Colon, Machado, Cabrera. We certainly could use a good SS prospect in the system. (many people aren't sold on Givens).

I think as much as we need a SS, I'd go with one of the power arms (Taillon is my preference) unless by some uncanny chance Harper fell to 3. He'd be the only position player I'd take over a pitcher in this draft.

Interestingly enough, you list three players who have pretty strong advocates against them likely sticking at SS. :)

Colon - 2B

Cabrera - 3B

Machado - 3B/2B

I think O'Conner is a first round hopeful that profiles more traditionally to short. Littlewood and Wolters are early round picks that could profile to short (though I think Wolters likely shifts to 2B). Hague will be given every chance to stick at short, as well, and could be a first or second rounder.

It seems that the majority of the top guys are pitchers again this year. Combined with the "grow the arms" theory I think pitching is the way to go again this year. Colon seems like the only guy that might be consider #1.3 material. The best hope would be for one of the guys mentioned to drop to the second round. I am hoping that O'Conner drops to the second, even though unlikely.

I'd like to see Jedd Gyorko (2B/3B) is the second as well. I have read a bit about him and think he might be a solid pick as well.

It seems that the majority of the top guys are pitchers again this year. Combined with the "grow the arms" theory I think pitching is the way to go again this year. Colon seems like the only guy that might be consider #1.3 material. The best hope would be for one of the guys mentioned to drop to the second round. I am hoping that O'Conner drops to the second, even though unlikely.

I'd like to see Jedd Gyorko (2B/3B) is the second as well. I have read a bit about him and think he might be a solid pick as well.

I don't even know if I would consider Colon 1:3 material. Some folks here are pretty high on him though. I think Stotle likes him a lot, but I personally wouldn't be too happy if we took him over any of the 1st tier prep arms. Imay be even happier with a guy like Machado or Cabrera knowing they may have to move to 3B.

I want one of Taillon, Covey, Whitson, Cole or possibly Ranaudo....

I don't even know if I would consider Colon 1:3 material. Some folks here are pretty high on him though. I think Stotle likes him a lot, but I personally wouldn't be too happy if we took him over any of the 1st tier prep arms. Imay be even happier with a guy like Machado or Cabrera knowing they may have to move to 3B.

I don't have any opinion of Colon's potential slotting until he's back from his broken leg. He has a well above-average approach at the plate, plus hands in the field, excellent foot work and a strong arm. I don't think he necessarily has the range to stick at SS as a MLer and still be an above-average defender. I think 2B will potentially be a better fit. I also don't think he's the third best talent in the draft -- even when healthy. But I could see BAL going the signability route and taking him.

It's a very, very, very pitching-heavy class.

I can agree with that. The write-up that greg pappas had on his site didn't leave me excited about Colon.

He profiles as an average/above-average ML SS/2B, depending on the bat.

That isn't #3 pick worthy in my mind.

It's a very, very, very pitching-heavy class.

Well hopefully after the first rounder, the O's can get a few more positional guys in the mix. Of course if Bergy, Matusz, Tillman and Arietta can be solid starters in the majors and these recent draftees can step up, we'll truly have a surplus to trade for some bats. Right now we just have potential that wouldn't net any big boys.

With the 3rd pick in the draft you have to targeting a guy you think can be a stud, in this draft that guy is likely to be a pitcher.

Exactly. #3 overall pick we can get a truly elite player. Taillon is that guy IMO....He will probably move the fastest and has stuff that is good enough that he could possibly start in Delmarva, though I wouldn't push him too hard. We all know where the O's normally start their HS arms depending on their personal level of polish at the time they are drafated, but Taillon IMO is a special situation. He would be the best HS arm we have taken ever in recent memory.......

With the 3rd pick in the draft you have to targeting a guy you think can be a stud, in this draft that guy is likely to be a pitcher.

Agree, but hope a Bat or two emerges. Either way, get a "consensus " stud, if there is one, not another "reach".

• 1 month later...

Certainly I am no scout, I go by what I read in scouting reports. That said I've my own personal draft board. With the third overall choice however the Orioles are almost certainly going to have an excellent prospect available to them...

My Draft Board / Wish List (in this order)

(RHP) James Taillon

© Bryce Harper

(RHP) Anthony Ranaudo

(RHP) Deck McGuire

(LHP) Drew Pomeranz

I would prefer a pitcher and not Harper. One- we already have a stud Catcher. Two- I want the Orioles brimming with talented arms so that when it's time they can pull off a big time trade without crippling their farm system.

3- Pitching prospects can fail like any position can, best to have abundance.

Check with Stotle but I don't believe we have a second round pick this year. We lost it when we signed Gonzalez.

Archived