New WNST protest planned

NewMarketSean

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I understand why these guys want to organize it, I think it is useless. If anything, it undermines the organization because it makes other potential players less likely to want to play here . I really doubt this will change anything, so I am strongly against it.

This time I have to say -- what's the point?

The team increased payroll by $15-20 mm last year. They've hired a new GM who, it appears, will have more independence than the old regime.

I don't see what a protest is going to accomplish other than to give fans an opportunity to vent. But more likely its just going to create more negative impressions that will serve no one.

Just read the article -- allow me a quick sidebar...

While I certainly agree with a lot of Nestor and Drew's criticisms about the Orioles, I wish they would stop with the dumb "fake attendance numbers" argument. The attendance is always announced as "paid attendance". Anyone who's followed sports knows that is simply means the amount of tickets sold, not the amount of people through the gates.

The team increased payroll by $15-20 mm last year. They've hired a new GM who, it appears, will have more independence than the old regime.

I don't see what a protest is going to accomplish other than to give fans an opportunity to vent. But more likely its just going to create more negative impressions that will serve no one.

If they really wanted to make an impact they should do it outside of PA's law office where there is a chance he may actually be. :eek:

Right, MacPhail has had 3 months on the job and it looks like Angelos has handed over more control to him. The guy traded Trachsel for something decent and actually looks to have a plan in place. Might as well give him the offseason. The owner isn't to blame this time, it's the previous FO who will be removed shortly after the season ends one would think.

Guess this Nasty guy's ego couldn't take it when no one responded to his earlier attempt at organizing something this year. What a sad joke.

I like MacPhail. I like Trembley. I'm going to give them time to work on this.

PS...can any of you actually pick up WNST? I tried listening to the Towson game Saturday and gave up because of the static. And I live in TOWSON?!?!?!?!?!

Trading Trachsel was a good move. I've seen no indications of a plan from MacPhail, but that's not to say that he doesn't have one. Assuming he does, we have little to go on based on what has been reported.

Good is an understatement. Miraculous perhaps.

From Nate Silver at BP on the deal from the Cubs perspective (meaning from the Os perspective its one of the best trades in several seasons)

How to explain a trade like Scott Moore and Rocky Cherry for Steve Trachsel? Nobody noticed this one, but it might be the worst trade in several seasons, and it required a violation of at least half of the ten principles that you see in this column to come to fruition. Trachsel is a liability rather than an asset; he is not worth his prorated salary. In fact, provided that you understand #7 above, he is worth less than nothing. His QERA at the time the Cubs acquired him from the Orioles was 6.47, largely because he had walked 50 percent more batters than he’d struck out. Nevertheless, the Cubs gave away a prospect in Moore whom PECOTA thinks could produce about $30 million in value before he becomes a free agent, and a decent reliever who would cost at least a million or two each season in the free agent market to replace. It makes absolutely no sense...

link

Now that I've read the article, and the following point, I am in the camp that says Nestor is certifiably crazy, (along possibly with Duquette.;) )

• The de-balling of Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette, who had “the organization heading in the right direction” just days before their departure
Headed in the right direction !?! If the protest was a "Fire Flanagan" campaign it would register as logical, even if it would be cold-hearted.

Ditto me....

They also stepped up to get Wieters signed.

Everybody knows that the organization needs an overhaul and I'm sure that includes MacPhail. I must say I'm curious as to what his plan is, but I'm willing to give him the offseason to at least show us the way out.

To answer the question "What's the point?", my guess the point is that ratings are down and this is meant to boost them if only briefly.

Is it only me, or does anyone else get suspicious about motives when someone uses the word "honest" or "honestly" about a zillion times in one article?

Honestly.

Archived