New WNST protest planned

NewMarketSean

I still support 'Free the Birds' and will continue to support it until Angelos is gone.

I could care less about some radio guy getting some exposure from it. If it embarasses Angelos and gets the local and national media to again take notice of the laughingstock that is this franchise, then I am all for it. I just wish they would do this more often. Once a year is not enough...should be a weekly event.

McPhail hasn't done much since he has been here, but he doesn't have anything to do with why I support this thing. Angelos continues to promote fan apathy with his ridiculous PR blunders and has done nothing to improve the relationship between the team and city. His reign has seen the Orioles go from the most respected franchises in baseball, to the absolute worst. The laundry list has been cited many times - and nothing has been done to correct the problems.

This thing will get certainly be blasted from many of the posters on here as it was last year. Last years event got significant local and national coverage which was what they set out to do. It definitely embarassed Angelos, and I am all for that.

I completely agree. Many people here may disagree, and the Orioles will vehemently deny it, but I don't think there's a coincidence between last year's protest and McPhail being hired. But I don't think hiring McPhail is enough.

The Orioles are still incredibly arrogant in their treatment of fans, the city, and the local media. Why can't I listen to an Oriole on anything other than CBS radio? Why do they constantly have to threaten a lawsuit in every business dealing? Why are they one of only 2 teams (along with the Angels) not to have any indication of their home city on any part of their uniform? Why isn't the owner at the press conference introducing a new president of baseball operations?

I think the Orioles are finally on the right track from the baseball side with the hiring of McPhail. A better team is going to bring a lot of fans back. But I think the O's are misguided if they think that alone will repair their status in this city. Don't forget, even when the Colts won 3 straight division titles in the 70's, they couldn't sell out playoff games. Irsay chased a lot of fans away with his behavior that winning couldn't even bring back.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why can't I listen to an Oriole on anything other than CBS radio?

Because CBS Radio demanded that in their contract.

Why do they constantly have to threaten a lawsuit in every business dealing?

Because that's business. When someone (*cough*MSA*cough*) tries to break a contract, or use language in one to screw you over, you sue.

Why are they one of only 2 teams (along with the Angels) not to have any indication of their home city on any part of their uniform?

Why does that matter?

Why isn't the owner at the press conference introducing a new president of baseball operations?

See above.

I can only hope tht the Ravens mascot fires a water gun at Nestor one day so he can go on a crusade against them as well. The guy is ridiculous and is only doing this for self promotion.

How many "legit media members" have had a water gun fired at them? Nestor acts like it was some mafia hit job.

I can only hope tht the Ravens mascot fires a water gun at Nestor one day so he can go on a crusade against them as well. The guy is ridiculous and is only doing this for self promotion.

No, because that would mean he actually is an egotistical jerk who bases his sports views around personal friendships/vendettas, and as we all know he is NOTHING like that.

I'm tempted to go over to the Sun board and see what he had Drew "I Do What Nestor Wants On The Radio Because The Only Other Job I Could Hold Is As A" Forrester post for those guys to lap up.

No, because that would mean he actually is an egotistical jerk who bases his sports views around personal friendships/vendettas, and as we all know he is NOTHING like that.

I'm tempted to go over to the Sun board and see what he had Drew "I Do What Nestor Wants On The Radio Because The Only Other Job I Could Hold Is As A" Forrester post for those guys to lap up.

Exactly! He's such a hypocrite it's unreal. The Water gun incident happened in '04 I believe, the 7th year of the losing streak. So he wasn't really concerned until after that. Please, all supporters of this "man", please realize this is just a personal thing with him, it has nothing to do with him "wanting the team he rooted for as a kid to be good again" or whatever his BS propagnada says.

The fans have every right.

Sure they do. It doesn't mean they will accomplish anything positive by exercising that right.

Last year's protest, IMO, served a purpose. I don't think this one does. But if some fans want to protest, they certainly are entitled to do so.

Many people here may disagree, and the Orioles will vehemently deny it, but I don't think there's a coincidence between last year's protest and McPhail being hired.

Are you serious?

Its not as if everything is all wonderful and Nestor is some lone voice of reason shouting amidst the brainwashed masses who act like pro-Oriole zombies.

Its obvious and widely accepted the team is horrible and they need to get better.

Nestor has not galvanized some unexpected coup d'état, all he has done is pander to the yeoman's sentiment for his own selfish, exploitative purposes.

They made an effort to get to .500 which they admitted. Which MacPhail laughed at the second he was hired. The fans have every right.

So what if he laughed about it? To me, that's an evaluation on the talent of the current team and says a lot. For the rest of this season, the goal shouldn't have been .500.

Also, supposed he laughed at it as a means that they would only "settle" for .500 instead of actually competing.

If this guy needs attention maybe his mom will change his diaper, pat is butt, tuck him in and read him a book. I am so tired of hearing about Nestor. He is the independent league of journalists. We know it's out there but not alot of us pay much attention to it. This is completely the wrong time for a protest. Give MacPhail a chance.

I would post something about my feelings on Nestor and Drew, but some lurker would just copy it and email it to them two (insert bad name here) and they would use it as fodder on their little radio station. I say "their little radio station" because every time Drew or Nestor refers to us at the OH, its always as "That little fan site who defends the Orioles." I say PooP on anything Nestor and/or Drew are putting together!

By the way, its kinds funny that now that the honeymoon period is over with the Ravens, the cynical Baltimore sports fans are starting to criticize everything they do as well. Put that together with the fact that many of the top Ravens NOW have radio shows on 1300 rather than on WNST, and it won't be long before "the Nasty One" is also critical of the Ravens just like he is the Orioles now! Remember you heard it here first!

By the way, its kinds funny that now that the honeymoon period is over with the Ravens, the cynical Baltimore sports fans are starting to criticize everything they do as well. Put that together with the fact that many of the top Ravens NOW have radio shows on 1300 rather than on WNST, and it won't be long before "the Nasty One" is also critical of the Ravens just like he is the Orioles now! Remember you heard it here first!

People have been theorizing that for awhile, though.

Archived