Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be missing something here. If Shealy is a DH-type and not a good 1B, then why do we need him? If we trade Javy for him we not much better at DH, if at all, and then we need a good backup catcher. If we trade someone else we seem to have an excess of DHs.

IMO, if we are going to trade Javy, we need a 1B or a LF, with Markakis playing RF and Gibby DHing. In the long run, Gibby is likely a better DH than Shealy.

The Shealy rumor is pretty hot. The Rockies like Javy Lopez, but don't know if that's a one-for-one they are talking about.

Posted by: Roch Kubatko | June 23, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Link: http://blogs.baltimoresun.com/sports_custom_roch/2006/06/taking_deep_bre.html#comments

Interesting, I wonder why it is hot?

Is it because of message boards like this? The paper? Or some rumblings from the warehouse?!

I'll be pretty upset if we deal Olsen for Shealy. We may have young arms but none of them are proven yet, Olsen's only been in the system for a year and should be able to move up fairly quickly.

The Rockies have their hands tied with Shealy. If they want prospects give them Johnson and another Finch-type.

Johnson, Finch-type and Hawkins...

Lopez and Finch-type or Johnson...

But don't give up a bargaining chip for a blocked product.

I must be missing something here. If Shealy is a DH-type and not a good 1B, then why do we need him? If we trade Javy for him we not much better at DH, if at all, and then we need a good backup catcher. If we trade someone else we seem to have an excess of DHs.

IMO, if we are going to trade Javy, we need a 1B or a LF, with Markakis playing RF and Gibby DHing. In the long run, Gibby is likely a better DH than Shealy.

I think you actually raise an interesting point.

Shealy is young enough and talented enough that he is worth getting even if it creates a log jam...

However, a problem of roster flexibility and defense again comes up...

My question becomes: Does the acquisition of Shealy mean that we should be looking to move Gibbons as well?

I'll be pretty upset if we deal Olsen for Shealy. We may have young arms but none of them are proven yet, Olsen's only been in the system for a year and should be able to move up fairly quickly.

The Rockies have their hands tied with Shealy. If they want prospects give them Johnson and another Finch-type.

One could say Olsen is a blocked product also...

The Orioles won't be the only team interested in Shealy, that's for sure. Sometimes we all forget this fact. The Rockies won't have any problem moving Shealy as he will be cheap for a while now.

Archived