Let me bow down to...

Avsfan

I've been also pushing for more Padgett, but I have to admit, Dino Gregory surprised me. Yesterday was the first game I felt comfortable with him in the game. I still wish he'd block out better on the defensive boards, but I think overall he's gone from a negative to a positive. And when did he become such a good foul shooter?

Kudos to the Terp fans who made it to the game. What a great turnout and great support for the team.

On tv before the game, they showed a bunch of stats that MD is #1 in the ACC in - including FG%, 3 point FG%, and FT% - this from a team that most people thought was not a good shooting team.

I am with you on Padgett. He is a big body that they will need later on in the season. He needs to slow down a little and just play. Williams was doing the same things earlier in the year and now he is becoming a force inside because he is just making plays instead of thinking about everything.

As for Gregory, he is getting better each game. His free throw shooting may prove very useful going forward and he battles down low.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the alternate home jerseys. For me it's akin to the Orioles bright orange. It reminds me of years past and it's just different than the normal home whites.

It's true that Maryland doesn't have a signature road win but we're still 5-2 on the road. Granted the Terps are 0-3 on neutral courts, but a 5-5 road/neutral record is still pretty strong. A lot of teams would love to have that on their resume come selection sunday.

By comparison, Duke is 2-4 on the road/3-0 neutral, 5-4 overall. They have more quality wins in those games(vsGonzaga, @Clemson). They've also beat Wake, Clemson and GTech at home. Duke clearly has the better resume but the two head-to-head matchups could still decide a lot.

I know some are concerned with getting 10 ACC wins to seal up a bid. I agree that's the first goal, but I'm setting my sights higher. An ACC regular season title is attainable. The Terps could also win the ACC tourny if the matchups fall their way or if they continue shooting well.

And man to man I don't think we have to take a back seat to Duke. I'd take Vasquez over Smith. Scheyer has a clear edge on Hayes. Singler is the real matchup problem with his size but Mosley will still play his game and get some things done. Milbourne is a much better player than Thomas. Williams compares favorably to Plumlee and Zoubek. Both teams have leadership from upperclassmen and a hall of fame coach. Should be a lot of fun.

The UVA game on Wednesday looks like one of the most winable games left on the schedule. From that standpoint it's a must win. Hopefully we can stay focused on the task at hand and take care of business.

The two things everything depends upon:

1. Jordan Williams continuing to develop. Something like a double-double threat on a regular basis.

2. The Terps keep shooting well. Right now, they're very good from long range (Hayes, Vasquez and Milbourne), very very good from the line (everyone), and - most importantly - have multiple mid-range options: Mosely, Milbourne, even Gregory (and increasingly, Williams) all offer game from 10-15 feet.

I'm not sure they can rebound or defend enough, but I'm not convinced they can't. No great ball-handlers, but they can spread the ball around, which is important. Plus, they have some energy off the bench in Tucker and Gregory. And Bowie, if he gets his head right.

Pomeroy has them rated at 10 and rising. Lots of offensive efficiency and good defense are the key.

I'll admit that I'm concerned that a cold spell is around the corner. Vasquez, Hayes, and Mosley are well above their career averages from 3 point range and Milbourne is shooting lights out from mid range right now. I'm going to enjoy while it lasts but I can't expect these guys to keep stroking it as well as they have so far.

Love the alternate home jerseys. For me it's akin to the Orioles bright orange. It reminds me of years past and it's just different than the normal home whites.

It's true that Maryland doesn't have a signature road win but we're still 5-2 on the road. Granted the Terps are 0-3 on neutral courts, but a 5-5 road/neutral record is still pretty strong. A lot of teams would love to have that on their resume come selection sunday.

By comparison, Duke is 2-4 on the road/3-0 neutral, 5-4 overall. They have more quality wins in those games(vsGonzaga, @Clemson). They've also beat Wake, Clemson and GTech at home. Duke clearly has the better resume but the two head-to-head matchups could still decide a lot.

I know some are concerned with getting 10 ACC wins to seal up a bid. I agree that's the first goal, but I'm setting my sights higher. An ACC regular season title is attainable. The Terps could also win the ACC tourny if the matchups fall their way or if they continue shooting well.

And man to man I don't think we have to take a back seat to Duke. I'd take Vasquez over Smith. Scheyer has a clear edge on Hayes. Singler is the real matchup problem with his size but Mosley will still play his game and get some things done. Milbourne is a much better player than Thomas. Williams compares favorably to Plumlee and Zoubek. Both teams have leadership from upperclassmen and a hall of fame coach. Should be a lot of fun.

The UVA game on Wednesday looks like one of the most winable games left on the schedule. From that standpoint it's a must win. Hopefully we can stay focused on the task at hand and take care of business.

Duke has a deeper and more talented front court....Smith and Scheyer are probably ALL ACC first teamers right now but Duke lacks the depth in the backcourt that MD has.

Rebounding will be huge when these 2 teams play...Personally, I expect a split...with each winning at home...I believe(correct me if i am wrong) when Duke plays at MD, it is senior day and that is going to be a tough game to win if you are Duke and it may be a must win for MD. Will be tough to match the emotion of that MD team that day.

Duke beat MD 3 times last year and really outclassed them, especially in Cameron(41 point win).

BTW, you mention how much better Milbourne is than Thomas...You are absolutely correct...But Thomas is an excellent defensive player and he may even find himself on Greivis sometimes as well...Thomas will get into foul trouble though.

Be interesting to see if Williams will be able to stay out of foul trouble against the revolving door of big men for Duke.

I'll admit that I'm concerned that a cold spell is around the corner. Vasquez, Hayes, and Mosley are well above their career averages from 3 point range and Milbourne is shooting lights out from mid range right now. I'm going to enjoy while it lasts but I can't expect these guys to keep stroking it as well as they have so far.

I was worried about this. I'm not, now. These guys aren't just on hot streak. They move the ball, get good shots, and they're hitting them. Their PPS is 1.33 this year, compared to 1.15 last. Nice difference.

I'm not sure they deserve to be. They don't have any marquee wins. Stats like Ken Pom pick up on the fact that Terps are winning the games they should win, and doing it the right way, but their RPI is still in the 40s.

Right now:

KenPom: No. 8

Sagarin: No. 23 in Elo Chess, No. 11 in Pure (Predictor)

RPI: No. 44.

That seems about right: RPI says "what have you done" while Sagarin and KenPom say "what will you do." The future is - for now - brighter than the past.

Me too on both counts...

I had written a post yesterday right after the game ended with my thoughts and the laptop crashed on me just as I finished. I don't feel like recreating the vibe, but the general thoughts are that I was/am quite happy and feel that GW is a great, great coach...

Out of pure curiosity, who do you root for when MD plays VT?

I would like to see Gary use a front court of Williams, Gregory and Padgett a few games to see how the other teams rebound against us. With Vasquez and Hayes scoring pretty well a strong front line getting most of the rebounds to fire down court for easy breakaways could be very effective in opening up games where we have a 5-7 point lead. Milbourne and Mosley can still see a lot of minutes.

I have a theory about the yellow uniforms. Having been to a number of games at College Park it seems the players have trouble picking out the white and red trim uniforms from the colors in the crowd. There is a lot red in the stands and a mix of other colors. You don't see bright yellow in the stands. I think the players can spot each other better on the court in these uniforms. They could be Carolina Blue or all Green just as easily. There is no doubt where a MD player is when running the court in yellow. If you sit near the court you will see what I am talking about if they wear the white again. I personally can't stand their red road uniforms and they would be a problem at home because of all of the red in the stands. Just my opinion.

GO TERPS! We are the best #32 team in the country and will pleasantly surprise a lot of people before the season is over.

I do the same thing. Lenny was a once in a lifetime guy, power finese, speed and that picture perfect jumper. The guy who plays a little like Len Bias today is Kevin Durrant. He is not as good outside as Len but there are some similarities. Durrant is about 3 inches bigger.

Durant isn't the athlete Bias was, but then again, who is. Durant might end up being one of the greatest pure scorers in league history. Long way to go obviously, but he's doing things at 21 years old that no one has ever done..

I was talking to a few guys about this and they mentioned McGrady, Pierce (the best I come up with), and Pippen.

I would like to see Gary use a front court of Williams, Gregory and Padgett a few games to see how the other teams rebound against us. With Vasquez and Hayes scoring pretty well a strong front line getting most of the rebounds to fire down court for easy breakaways could be very effective in opening up games where we have a 5-7 point lead. Milbourne and Mosley can still see a lot of minutes.

What about a lineup with Williams, Dino, Padgett, GV, Milbourne/Mosely. Terrific athleticism and great rebounding. That would be a very tough lineup to matchup with.

MD... I know that is crazy, but I've followed MD B'ball like a freak since I was 10 years old, long before I even knew VT existed... I truly loved Len Bias like many of us here. I'll never forget where I was when I found out he died. The world just stopped for me (and many others I'm sure) that day.

If VT and MD are both on TV, I'll watch the MD game and record the VT game. I root for VT against all other teams though.

This only extends to B'Ball. VT is tops everywhere else.

Don't worry that's how I am with MD and my Alma Mater (Towson)...

Everyone gives me crap for being a die-hard Terps fan but graduating a Tiger. It's horrible when they play heads up in Lax every year...it's like pulling teeth.

Durant isn't the athlete Bias was, but then again, who is. Durant might end up being one of the greatest pure scorers in league history. Long way to go obviously, but he's doing things at 21 years old that no one has ever done..

I was talking to a few guys about this and they mentioned McGrady, Pierce (the best I come up with), and Pippen.

I do not think any of these where the athlete Lenny was. Durant comes close to the inside/outside game. I am biased (no pun intended) because Lenny remains my favorite all time Terp.

Archived